Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ft. Worth Police Officer Shoots Woman Through Her Window

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    No, but that's a fairly normal response after police shootings especially places like Facebook.

I'm not anti LE at all, but I find it reprehensible that we have people being murdered in their own home by the police and people defending it, not here though. When I refer to thin blue liners I'm talking about the people who give them a free pass no matter what. Like the people that wore the "Breathe Easy" shirts after Eric Garner died. Even if he had been a complete dirt bag, it was in extremely poor taste for anyone including LE to wear that shirt. Think of the outrage if someone made shirts mocking a cop, like say, Deputy Dinkheller who was killed in the line of duty.

I and many others do find the whole thin blue line thing to be cringey af, and I mean as cringey as anything that we see from the threeper/sheepdog/sovereign citizen movement. I'm sure the guy that first uttered those words never imagined that it would turn into such a gag worthy saying as it is now. I mean, I've seen the thin blue line american flag over the punisher logo. How retarded is that? Are you a police officer who serves and protects his community or are you Frank Castle who straight up murders the fuck out of people who've wronged him?
    Attachment 43652
    That’s cool and all, but what does your frustration with the internet and things you read about on other places have to do with this thread and what is actually being discussed here?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If LE were to ever accidentally hit my place it would be very bad because I would believe it was a home invasion crew masquerading as LE.
    This was my concern with the incident I posted about in the LE UOF video thread. After seeing uniforms I withdrew my weapon but didn't go outside until 911 confirmed officers were on scene and it was then communicated to those officers I was coming out unarmed. There were no patrol vehicles in sight, no lights flashing, and no way to tell if they were actually law enforcement. Had they entered, it would have been very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That’s cool and all, but what does your frustration with the internet and things you read about on other places have to do with this thread and what is actually being discussed here?
    It was implied that I was anti LE and I clarified. I hate that I'm the first person to take a thread off topic in General Discussion.

CWM11B
    I say hooray for body cams too. They have exonerated FAR more officers from bullshit complaints and outright lies than they have shown a repeated pattern of abuse and criminal behavior on the legions of rogue cops so many folks think are roaming around. Funny thing though, you never see a single body cam video on the news showing a cop doing the right thing. As a patrol supervisor, I was the first line in fielding complaints lodged by citizens. If I had a dime for every phone call that went something like this:

Citizen: I want to complain on officer XYZ. He called me a (insert racist slur/obscenity here) or whatever act

Me: I'm sorry for your experience. We take complaints very seriously and will hold the officer accountable for any misconduct (genuine sentiment and truth in my former agency. I helped show several who self selected by their actions the door for those who care. Cop haters, in my experience, are never convinced or swayed). I'll pull the officers video and start a formal investigation. I will need your name and a good contact number for follow up.

Citizen: you got this on video?

Me: Yes

Citizen: Click, followed by dial tone.

We had so many exonerations, a former city council member actually said officers should only turn on the cameras when they were going to do something wrong. Yes, you read that right. Even some of our most vocal critics looked at him sideways at that remark. When the cameras didnt provide the desired result for the critics, council started bitching about how much the data storage cost. It is incredibly expensive. Were I to be back in a patrol function today, I would DEMAND to be equipped with a body cam, and a simultaneously running backup for the times the primary malfunctions (and they do, like any tech item, but it's always malfeasance on the officers part in the eyes if the haters) lest I be accused of a "cover up" if something wasn't captured.
    I am not, have not, and will not ever defend criminal behavior by a LEO. I've seen a few get arrested in my time. They all deserved it and were reviled by those of us who had to deal with the aftermath of their conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    No, but that's a fairly normal response after police shootings especially places like Facebook.

I'm not anti LE at all, but I find it reprehensible that we have people being murdered in their own home by the police and people defending it, not here though. When I refer to thin blue liners I'm talking about the people who give them a free pass no matter what. Like the people that wore the "Breathe Easy" shirts after Eric Garner died. Even if he had been a complete dirt bag, it was in extremely poor taste for anyone including LE to wear that shirt. Think of the outrage if someone made shirts mocking a cop, like say, Deputy Dinkheller who was killed in the line of duty.

I and many others do find the whole thin blue line thing to be cringey af, and I mean as cringey as anything that we see from the threeper/sheepdog/sovereign citizen movement. I'm sure the guy that first uttered those words never imagined that it would turn into such a gag worthy saying as it is now. I mean, I've seen the thin blue line american flag over the punisher logo. How retarded is that? Are you a police officer who serves and protects his community or are you Frank Castle who straight up murders the fuck out of people who've wronged him?
    Attachment 43652
    While I think the Punisher symbol has evolved to mean a variety of things over the years, there is a reason I don’t wear it or place it on my weapons.

Regarding the comments about “thin blue liners” if that’s from conversations on social media then maybe it’s best left there? All I’ve seen here is disgust and heartbreak over what happened in Fort Worth from LE members. Yes we get annoyed at people who jump to the conclusion the LEO messed up after a shooting because so many of them don’t even understand the laws governing deadly force. Even more have never had to deal with dangerous criminals other than watching the nightly news. But I think it’s worth noting LE is the only profession I’m aware of that polices it’s own. And we do a damn good job 99% of the time.

We (LE) are the most upset and angry when a fellow LEO does something criminal and this discussion is a perfect example of why. People are often in a rush to judge all of us for the poor judgement of a few. We are also the only profession I know of where hordes of people think they know how to do our job better and we get crucified in the media even when we act properly (Ferguson is a perfect example). How many people die from medical malpractice each year? The media rarely touches that topic and I don’t see people on FB telling doctors how to do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    This was my concern with the incident I posted about in the LE UOF video thread. After seeing uniforms I withdrew my weapon but didn't go outside until 911 confirmed officers were on scene and it was then communicated to those officers I was coming out unarmed. There were no patrol vehicles in sight, no lights flashing, and no way to tell if they were actually law enforcement. Had they entered, it would have been very bad.
    Just for everyone’s awareness, 911 is not a clearinghouse for everything LE. There are many LE agencies that could be conducting legitimate business but are not tied into whatever point of service your phone gets when you dial 911.

I always made the habit of calling out with local law in small towns even when doing door knocks, but many thought it was unnecessary....and at large, every agency has different policies and cultural habits.

What I’m getting at is people should not get the idea that if 911 says, “we don’t have anyone out there”, that doesn’t mean they’re not cops and it shouldn’t be taken as authorization for weapons free. All it is means is that 911 doesn’t know who is there.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just for everyone’s awareness, 911 is not a clearinghouse for everything LE. There are many LE agencies that could be conducting legitimate business but are not tied into whatever point of service your phone gets when you dial 911.

I always made the habit of calling out with local law in small towns even when doing door knocks, but many thought it was unnecessary....and at large, every agency has different policies and cultural habits.

What I’m getting at is people should not get the idea that if 911 says, “we don’t have anyone out there”, that doesn’t mean they’re not cops and it shouldn’t be taken as authorization for weapons free. All it is means is that 911 doesn’t know who is there.
    Excellent point. it’s also one of the reason the feds I’ve worked with make a significant effort to be sure there is a marked unit present at arrests and searches.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Excellent point. it’s also one of the reason the feds I’ve worked with make a significant effort to be sure there is a marked unit present at arrests and searches.
    Yup, that was standard practice at my field office to ask for. At the very least we contacted the primary agency for deconfliction, but that doesn’t mean 911 knows and plenty of times we’ve been told, “no dice, we ain’t got units for you unless you’re payin’”.

ETA: personally I’ve found locals to be two extremes when working with. Either super motivated and all about the mission regardless of what agency is on the badge, or they treat everyone outside their agency like a mushroom. On top of that, we have the “depends on who answers the phone” factor like any walk in life, and it’s real easy for plenty of agencies (not just feds) to find themselves high and dry.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-14-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Failure to coordinate a plainclothes operation with the locals by my old agency in NYC almost got me killed by the Hartford P.D. in CT during an op we were conducting.

They burst into the location without identifying themselves, and I thought they were there to cap the CI. Lovely day as we nearly had a shootout in a men's room between me and a handful of locals. (Turned out the CI set the whole thing up. Long story.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Failure to coordinate a plainclothes operation with the locals by my old agency in NYC almost got me killed by the Hartford P.D. in CT during an op we were conducting.

They burst into the location without identifying themselves, and I thought they were there to cap the CI. Lovely day as we nearly had a shootout in a men's room between me and a handful of locals. (Turned out the CI set the whole thing up. Long story.)
    All these tantalizing crumbs, and no book yet?

Or would a book-length screed get you sued by the guilty?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List