Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ft. Worth Police Officer Shoots Woman Through Her Window

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    There’s very little reason to be in anyone’s backyard at night and not be noisy as hell before going in, that exactly how you avoid waking up fluffy from deep sleep and having to pop someone’s pet. That’s assuming you have a valid reason to be there, like a warrant or exigent circumstances.

This reeks of Imaginary Liability Syndrome, I made that term up, it’s all the BS that cops think they are liable for, that they are definitely not liable for, but they do it and incur massive liabilities. Like a health and welfare where you need to knock on the door, assess what’s in plain view, and most likely leave as quickly as possible. Instead there’s cops going to places they should be, in ways they shouldn’t be doing it, doing things they shouldn’t be doing, because they are scared of getting in trouble.
    One night when I lived in Plano, TX I had a very similar experience. I had failed to secure my front door upon us turning in (I believe due to the stress of watching Bill Clinton re-elected that night).

About 0200 a neighbor returned home from a baby sitting gig, noticed our front door open and called 911.

First I knew of it my door bell was ringing, my old dog was barking. I grabbed my BHP au naturale and headed down the hallway towards the front door. When I saw curtains on the opposite from the front door blowing from wind I was like "uh oh".

I cautiously peeked around a corner to the front door and it was wide open and there were two Plano PD officers in my front yard, spread out a good distance and they asked me to produce some ID. I said sure and retreated to do so while setting my BHP down on a flat surface by the front door - which I announced to them and told them where to look for it.

By the time I returned with my ID they were in my home and had moved my pistol to a distant spot at the other side of the room and they checked us all out and all was good. They explained the call etc and I expressed my gratitude.

We learned later from the nervous neighbor that they had stepped in, took a quick peek then retreated to ring the doorbell.

I was very impressed by their professionalism. BTW they looked like Malloy and Reed from Adam-12.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    it honestly almost looked like he hit the glass and had an ND..
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I’m thinking this is negligent discharge
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Not excusing the officer, but I don't buy the "playing video game with 8 year old nephew" story at 225am. Too often it seems black folks don't feel like they have the right to survive an encounter with police if armed -- if the woman was armed while investigating a potential prowler at her window, just say so! She had every right to be.

It kind of played like a ND to me - maybe taking up trigger slack and whoops too far!

Are we sure he didn't knock/announce while at the front door? The video I saw started with him on the porch and didn't have sound right away...
    The police department has already stated that the officer fired in response to a perceived threat.

A police spokesman also said that the officer did not announce himself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...%3fid=66237208

"What the officer observed and why he did not announce 'police' will be addressed as the investigation continues," O'Neil said....

"Perceiving a threat, the officer drew his duty weapon and fired one shot striking the person inside the residence," a statement from the police department reads.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Actually, he was charged within hours of the event with manslaughter, which was dismissed after a review by then Attorney General (now governor) Roy Cooper. Cooper is in no way, shape, or form pro LE either.
    I seem to recall it being a little more complex as the CLT officer was indicted. It actually went to trial and resulted in a hung jury. After the hung jury, a panel of prosecutors decided that retrying the case would likely return another hung jury. Cooper may have made the announcement but it was not his decision alone.

Again, I’m just saying that it seems the FW PD is trying to stay in front of a bad situation by releasing key evidence and statements of fact before the investigation has begun.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=0ddl0t;942636]Not excusing the officer, but I don't buy the "playing video game with 8 year old nephew" story at 225am. Too often it seems black folks don't feel like they have the right to survive an encounter with police if armed -- if the woman was armed while investigating a potential prowler at her window, just say so! She had every right to be.

It kind of played like a ND to me - maybe taking up trigger slack and whoops too far!

Are we sure he didn't knock/announce while at the front door? The video I saw started with him on the porch and didn't have sound right away...[/QUOTE

We all have the right to assume that a police officer will not shoot us in our own home if we are armed. Unless there are children posting as adults on this forum, every single man and woman present is armed at home. I fail to see that there was an encounter in this case. But regardless, if you, I, or any other citizen resists on the street when otherwise directed, then probability of mishap increases. My opinion--respectfully submitted--is that this shooting was a mishap. That point though will never be accepted by the public.

CWM11B
    I agree the FWPD is trying to stay ahead of this. I have a few issues with divulging to much as it possibly
    could effect prosecution if it becomes appropriate after the investigation.

Regarding Charlotte, he was outright charged by his department the same day. No Grand
    Jury indictment until later. The GJ process in NC is unique and very close to being an absolute rubber stamp. You are correct on the hung jury, and then the local DA turned it over to the AG for review. No doubt he had a team on it, but Cooper ultimately had to sign off on it. And if he thought that case was a winner, you can bet your 401k that officer would have gone back to trial. Most in my circle were stunned at how quickly the officer was charged, as we generally took longer to get a warrant for murder even with a full confession.

Apologies for the derail.

As to this incident, I'll wait for the facts. Whatever is, is. But the knee jerk "burn the witch" mentality so popular in this country right now needs to stop. Whether it's an LEO, armed citizen, or criminal. There is (was?) due process and rule of law in this country. We abandon it at our peril.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 10-14-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Inserting your own opinion into my comment so that it appears to be my own, even though you highlighted it, is a dickish move. More to the point, you assume something for which you have mi factual basis (where I saw the clip).
    It's only a dick move when one is plagiarizing another which I clearly wasn't. It was simply a way to respond to your points in a specific manner. Go shoot a round gun, have a cocktail or something. Geesh...

I suppose that I’m waiting for more facts. For example, did the officer have a justifiable reason for not announcing himself? Did he see something in plain view that prompted further investigation without announcing himself? Was the decision to proceed through the gate in accordance with departmental policy given the circumstances? Did the officer break any laws by opening the gate and proceeding into the backyard given the circumstances?
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-14-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Regardless of any other factors, this event indicates a training shortcoming. Too, it shows that the officer may lack common sense. It points to the likelihood that Ft Worth pd hired a person unsuitable to perform the job.
    Or simply failed to train them well. It’s a straightforward problem- PD brass cuts training due to budget and/or bad optics , so officers hit the streets with woefully lacking skills. Said officers don’t know this because they’re brand new and the non-PC grey haired fellas got cashiered out. Then something like this happens and the same brass throws the officer under the bus.

Click repeat.

Saw this happen in the AF. Folks would get sent to Iraq with zero handgun training, then the brass hit the member with an article if they had a booboo at the clearing barrel downrange.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    As to this incident, I'll wait for the facts. Whatever is, is. But the knee jerk "burn the witch" mentality so popular in this country right now needs to stop. Whether it's an LEO, armed citizen, or criminal. There is (was?) due process and rule of law in this country. We abandon it at our peril.
    Would we be affording the deceased woman the same courtesy if she'd got the jump on the cop and shot him dead since he didn't announce himself? Or would we be screaming about "tHeRe'S a wAr oN cOpS" and demanding she burn at the stake?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Would we be affording the deceased woman the same courtesy if she'd got the jump on the cop and shot him dead since he didn't announce himself? Or would we be screaming about "tHeRe'S a wAr oN cOpS" and demanding she burn at the stake?
    Maybe we'd wait to see what the facts disclosed...which is what an investigation is supposed to be for.

Plenty of cops have been shot by their own brothers in blue, whether while working UC, or in cases as Andre referred to above...(large black male).

The truth is not something to be feared or avoided, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe we'd wait to see what the facts disclosed...which is what an investigation is supposed to be for.

Plenty of cops have been shot by their own brothers in blue, whether while working UC, or in cases as Andre referred to above...(large black male).

The truth is not something to be feared or avoided, imho.
    That's not how it plays out on the internet when cops get shot though.

User Tag List