Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ft. Worth Police Officer Shoots Woman Through Her Window

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We are staying civil in here, right?
    Of course we are.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    The story gets worse:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...d-authorities/

8 year old confirms his aunt retrieved her gun and pointed it toward window.
    Retrieving a gun when an unknown (to you) individual dressed in black is prowling around in the yard makes logical sense.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Retrieving a gun when an unknown (to you) individual dressed in black is prowling around in the yard makes logical sense.
    It does, definitely. That doesn't necessarily mean the cop is warranted jail time, however.

Sometimes a tragedy is just that....a tragedy. Regardless of Harper Lee's efforts, the mob just wants blood regardless of any possible evidence and that's the end of it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It does, definitely. That doesn't necessarily mean the cop is warranted jail time, however.

Sometimes a tragedy is just that....a tragedy. Regardless of Harper Lee's efforts, the mob just wants blood regardless of any possible evidence and that's the end of it.
    Exactly. Tragic from one end to the other. That is what I'm wrangling with.

What is the appropriate penalty for failure to knock, announce or display emergency lights from the vehicle? On a welfare check, even a phone call might be appropriate.

Bottom line is an innocent life was taken that should have been avoidable.

I'm just not really sure what the appropriate legal remedy should be. (I also have not taken it upon myself to study the Texas statutes.)
    Last edited by blues; 10-15-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Well intruder in black did shoot a homeowner through the window, so I'd put this quite above " the mob just wants blood regardless."
    This could literally be any homeowner in Texas except that many homeowners would have shot first.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Well intruder in black did shoot a homeowner through the window, so I'd put this quite above " the mob just wants blood regardless."
    This could literally be any homeowner in Texas except that many homeowners would have shot first.
    What does "through the window" have to do with it?

What does "through the window" have to do with it?
    A hell of a lot. Just like 'stranger in black being in a middle aged woman's back yard,' and 'stranger in black being in a middle aged woman's backyard at 2.30AM in the morning' have something to do with it. Note in Texas this laws permitting self defense apply to lethal defense in protection of property are considerably relaxed at night. Under current court cases, homeowner's have been found justified in burping said stranger, even if said stranger were messing with the neighbor's yard.

This new detail "she had gun pointed outside" (assuming true) changes my view quite a bit.
    But also adds a lot more questions.
    Millions of Texas home owners have guns, same in other states.
    When someone comes uninvited, it's logical that they'll want to be prepared.
    Should home owners risk getting robbed or killed by checking first whether it's a burglar or a cop before even going for weapon?

I'm asking because if something like this happens and I don't know what's happening in my backyard at 2am in the morning and officers don't announce it's them, what's the best way of dealing with it?
    Hide in a closet and call 911?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    A hell of a lot. Just like 'stranger in black being in a middle aged woman's back yard,' and 'stranger in black being in a middle aged woman's backyard at 2.30AM in the morning' have something to do with it. Note in Texas this laws permitting self defense apply to lethal defense in protection of property are considerably relaxed at night. Under current court cases, homeowner's have been found justified in burping said stranger, even if said stranger were messing with the neighbor's yard.
    I don't think anyone is questioning the reasonableness of the homeowners actions.

I don't think anyone is questioning the reasonableness of the homeowners actions.
    There was an initial attempt with posting a pic of a theoretical gun right after the incident. It doesn't help that the latest Dallas incident had the report of the DPD searching the victim's residence and disclosing there was potentially weed to besmirch the victim hadn't happened.

User Tag List