Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ft. Worth Police Officer Shoots Woman Through Her Window

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/u...core-ios-share

The officer resigned.

I respectfully disagree, based on what I’ve seen, that all those who use the term bootlicker intend any cooperation with the police by the term, nor every police officer. I don’t disagree that language is important.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't like that virulently anti-cop attitude one bit...but I also prefer not to use a pejorative epithet to describe those who do not support LE.

There may be no real way to win hearts and minds with some people, but widening that gulf through the language we employ, imho, ensures that those who might be persuaded to see things otherwise will not be reached.
    It is the term they, themselves, use for LE or those supporting LE.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/u...core-ios-share

The officer resigned.

I respectfully disagree, based on what I’ve seen, that all those who use the term bootlicker intend any cooperation with the police by the term, nor every police officer. I don’t disagree that language is important.
    https://www.fox4news.com/live

More specifically, the officer resigned before he could be fired and his separation from FWPD is being reported to the Texas Peace Officer licensing body as “under dishonorable conditions.” In plain English this is “resigned in lieu of termination so whether he is prosecuted or not he will never be a cop in TX again.

It’s worth listen to what the FWPD Chief said in the linked press conference. As I mentioned earlier FWPD is pretty squared away and they dealing with this head on.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It is the term they, themselves, use for LE or those supporting LE.
    No, I totally get that. I'm just not going to refer to those who might be in that camp or their associates, as such.

I'm simply saying that if we draw up sides and call folks on one side "Antifa" and the other side "Bootlickers", (just to use a couple of terms that come quickly to mind), that we run the risk of too easily deciding that people belong to one camp or the other and forfeit any chance of meaningful dialog. It's too easy to pigeonhole folks. I'd just as soon not run that risk.

It's a small step from there to ignore folks who have been saddled with the label of a group we don't approve of. I think that's bad policy for all of us.

Sort of like all Dems, all Republicans, all liberals...etc.

I'd just rather wrangle it out with arguments based on the merits, than divide us up into camps unnecessarily. We're fractured enough already in my opinion.

I'd kinda like to get back to all of us being un-hyphenated Americans.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

@Wingate's Hairbrush - Outstanding summation professor. I'd correct my work but the edit button is gone. I blame it on an insufficient amount of coffee at the time and the urgency of getting my progress report for work turned in. Not an excuse, just explanation.

@Stephanie B - You need to delete the first word in your sig line and capitalize the second. Maybe bold the whole thing...
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 10-14-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have noticed that some who criticize police the most also are frequent 911 dealers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    @Wingate's Hairbrush - Outstanding summation professor. I'd correct my work but the edit button is gone. I blame it on an insufficient amount of coffee at the time and the urgency of getting my progress report for work turned in. Not an excuse, just explanation.

@Stephanie B - You need to delete the first word in your sig line and capitalize the second. Maybe bold the whole thing...

The comment suggesting Stephanie to alter her signature line crossed the line on civility. Was not the discussion over? Had she jumped up and spoke in a less than admirable manner. I would have made the same statement, which is an observation and not a criticism. I will, though, mail her a Thesaurus so she can select more appropriate adjectives.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    [MENTION=16581] @Stephanie B - You need to delete the first word in your sig line and capitalize the second. Maybe bold the whole thing...
    In the hopes of maintaining a certain level of decorum and civility, I will let this drop.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I would like to hear how the call was dispatched before making any assumptions on the officers’ tactics (or possibly lack of).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I would like to hear how the call was dispatched before making any assumptions on the officers’ tactics (or possibly lack of).
    The MDT messages for the call are at the beginning of the body cam video released by FWPD. The article linked in post #2 includes the video as well as link to the call by the neighbor to the non emergency line.

User Tag List