Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I find the qualification standards for my local PD?

https://youtu.be/7506RT4clJk

This guy shoots several state Pd courses.

Regards.

Also, here's a video of the USAF AFQC, presented in the standard format and then with the par times cut in half.

The AFQC video shows the USAF quals are more than the FBI quals which are presented in this video... https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/s...qualification/

Quote Originally Posted by URIT View Post
    The AFQC video shows the USAF quals are more than the FBI quals which are presented in this video... https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/s...qualification/
    Having shot both, the AFQC qual is easier to pass than the FBI qual, but the AFQC qual is harder to get an "Expert" score on than to pass the FBI qual.

I have some helpful information, but it would involve you conversing with a badge otter; so, I won’t offend you by offering it.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Theoretical question: what relevance or weight would testifying that you passed a state minimum-standards qualification bear if you are involved in a self-defense shoot, especially if you have qualification records for work?

Why not take and document training on civilian self-defense from reputable instructors, or go through the motions to be qualified as an NRA Pistol Instructor?

Law enforcement quals show bare minimum competence, not to mention making the statement alone without corroborating witness testimony would have dubious weight. If you're trying to show that you have a serious academic approach to lethal force and exercising good judgment under stress, having documented education seems more beneficial.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Theoretical question: what relevance or weight would testifying that you passed a state minimum-standards qualification bear if you are involved in a self-defense shoot, especially if you have qualification records for work?
    I'm not sure but I'm willing to take Massad Ayoob's word for it.

Why not take and document training on civilian self-defense from reputable instructors, or go through the motions to be qualified as an NRA Pistol Instructor?
    I have taken training from a reputable instructor but my church has the training records.

Law enforcement quals show bare minimum competence, not to mention making the statement alone without corroborating witness testimony would have dubious weight. If you'yre trying to show that you have a serious academic approach to lethal force and exercising good judgment under stress, having documented education seems more beneficial.
    I may have miss read the article.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have some helpful information, but it would involve you conversing with a badge otter; so, I won’t offend you by offering it.

Thanks for your insightful and informative input.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm a little surprised. Other than the section where you're simulating hand cuffing someone I think the G4S qualification is harder. The distances are similar but the G4S scoring ring is smaller.

The qualification for my church even uses a smaller scoring ring. They use an Omaha Q target and only shots in the 4X8 ring count

ETA: I want to clarify the above statement.

I don't mean to say that G4S gave us better training than the police. They went through the NRA's basic handgun safety course in a week. I think that's good training for what it is but I think it's completely inadequate for people you're going to arm and turn loose to respond to burglar alarms and enforce city rules not laws.
    It's especially inadequate for people that you're going to expect to walk through a homeless camp at 3AM with no back up.

All I'm saying is that G4S expected a little tighter of a group on the target than CSPD does
    Most state standards are the minimum. Some agencies use the state COF but most choose to develop their own, more challenging COF.

For example, the TX TCOLE COF is very easy. My local SO uses the state COF while our local PD has their own more difficult COF more like many federal LE quals.

That said, you will find very few LE COF that are challenging by PF standards. Most are designed with “no officer / Agent left behind” in mind.

Another option is the FBI COF as used by Tom Givens and some other instructors. If searching online the current version is 50 rounds.

User Tag List