Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I find the qualification standards for my local PD?

Banned

Where can I find the qualification standards for my local PD?

I've looked on line and I can't seem to find the information and I don't think walking into the police station and asking would be a good idea. So where would I look?

You could try to look up the POST standards for your state, which would probably provide a guideline for department qualifications.

Section H has the information you’re looking for:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/post/atom/150836

Simply go into your local police station and ask to speak to the department Rangemaster or the person in charge of firearms training for the department so you can find you what the standards are for the department. You want that information to ??? Be prepared to answer this simple question without hesitation. Some states have standards and others do not. You can check out the H.R. 218 LEOSA quals for your state with an internet search which will give you quals for retired LEOs to carry from state to state. Quarterly training often varies to meet ever changing demands upon the department from state and federal bureaucrats.

Another online source would be to search the name of the agency and “manual” or “general orders”.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by URIT View Post
    Simply go into your local police station and ask to speak to the department Rangemaster or the person in charge of firearms training for the department so you can find you what the standards are for the department. You want that information to ??? Be prepared to answer this simple question without hesitation. Some states have standards and others do not. You can check out the H.R. 218 LEOSA quals for your state with an internet search which will give you quals for retired LEOs to carry from state to state. Quarterly training often varies to meet ever changing demands upon the department from state and federal bureaucrats.
    Thanks, no.

Nothing personal but I don't start conversations with the police unless necessary.

The reason I asked is because of an article I read by Massad Ayoob in which he recommended that you keep your training records if possible and evidence that you can shoot your local PD's pistol qualification course. I've kept all my training records from G4S and can prove I shot expert on their course every time I qualified. I'd like to see if I can do the same with CSPD's course.

I don't wish to have that conversation with anyone at CSPD headquarters because I don't want them questioning me as to why.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Thanks, no.

Nothing personal but I don't start conversations with the police unless necessary.

The reason I asked is because of an article I read by Massad Ayoob in which he recommended that you keep your training records if possible and evidence that you can shoot your local PD's pistol qualification course. I've kept all my training records from G4S and can prove I shot expert on their course every time I qualified. I'd like to see if I can do the same with CSPD's course.

I don't wish to have that conversation with anyone at CSPD headquarters because I don't want them questioning me as to why.
    I think this makes sense. No need to skyline yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

I'm a little surprised. Other than the section where you're simulating hand cuffing someone I think the G4S qualification is harder. The distances are similar but the G4S scoring ring is smaller.

The qualification for my church even uses a smaller scoring ring. They use an Omaha Q target and only shots in the 4X8 ring count

ETA: I want to clarify the above statement.

I don't mean to say that G4S gave us better training than the police. They went through the NRA's basic handgun safety course in a week. I think that's good training for what it is but I think it's completely inadequate for people you're going to arm and turn loose to respond to burglar alarms and enforce city rules not laws.
    It's especially inadequate for people that you're going to expect to walk through a homeless camp at 3AM with no back up.

All I'm saying is that G4S expected a little tighter of a group on the target than CSPD does
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-13-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm a little surprised. Other than the section where you're simulating hand cuffing someone I think the G4S qualification is harder. The distances are similar but the G4S scoring ring is smaller.

The qualification for my church even uses a smaller scoring ring. They use an Omaha Q target and only shots in the 4X8 ring count
    Yeah.

I think our old COF was too easy, and then I see this:

1 3 yd. line
    2 body 4 sec.
    Standing, holstered, centered Draw & fire while taking 1 step right
    2 body 4 sec.
    Standing, holstered, centered Draw & fire while taking 1 step left
    Ours is 2 rounds in 2 seconds, from concealment.

8 25 yd. line 2 body
    15 sec.
    Standing, holstered Position of choice – standing or kneeling while using cover When the target faces away or after the 15 seconds, perform tactical reload (not timed)
    Ours was 2 rounds at 25 yards in 6 seconds, from concealment. Now it's 8 in 20 seconds, from concealment.

ETA: I don't know if I've seen an easier qual than this, with the exception of the BOP qual.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List