Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the AR 16" barrel with carbine gas system?

I'll take a carbine-length 16" with a properly sized gas port over a 16" mid-length with an improperly sized one -- or vice versa -- any day; that's a lot more important than which system. For most purposes, both work beautifully when properly ported, sprung and buffered.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    I think for me it is more of a question of if I can improve the durability of the design(such as the suggestion of using a H3 buffer), so that I am less likely to get a parts failure in a defensive situation.
    The M4 with its carbine-length system is one of the most hard-use, battle-proven rifles on the scene. This is a non-issue.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

It works, shoot the crap out of it!

If you will not be building any new rifles for quite some time then I would pass on the DD barrel even at $100 since you really want a midlength. However, if that is not the case then as others have said, the M4 profile, carbine length system is a proven performer.
    My current favorite set up is a Colt SOCOM 14.5 with a H2 buffer. I expect it will last quite some time...

I'd shoot the barrel first to see if recoil causes excessive muzzle jump. If it does then to slow BCG velocity I'd start first with a Sprinco Red buffer spring or a JP Rifles JPS-OSC buffer spring. If the BCG needs to be slowed further THEN I'd consider increasing the weight of the buffer because the added buffer mass increases reciprocating mass which in turn increases recoil.

Two words...

Adjustable Gasblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    The M4 with its carbine-length system is one of the most hard-use, battle-proven rifles on the scene. This is a non-issue.
    I agree about the M4, but I’m much happier with carbine gas on 14.5” barrels like on the M4 and midlength gas on 16” barrels like the OP described.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Two words...

Adjustable Gasblock.
    For a hunting rifle sure.

Adjustable gas blocks are a point of failure and have no place on a serious use rifle.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-22-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    ...I’m much happier with carbine gas on 14.5” barrels like on the M4 and midlength gas on 16” barrel...
    ... and I'm much happier with a pinned 14.5" barrel than a 16"
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Adjustable gas blocks are a point of failure and have no place on a serious use rifle.
    Bah! People used to say that shit about RDOs.

User Tag List