Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the AR 16" barrel with carbine gas system?

Thoughts on the AR 16" barrel with carbine gas system?

So it has been a while since I've built a rifle, and a buddy of mine has a brand new stripped Daniel Defense 16" CHF M4 cut barrel that he wants to sell me for cheap. This particular barrel runs for over $300 online, and he has offered it to me for $150(probably talk him down to around $100). I've read the Armalite article of the link between premature bolt lug wear as a result of the 16" barrel and carbine gas system in the past, but since it has been about 10yrs since I've considered a 16" rifle with the carbine gas system I'm wondering if the knowledge has changed. Would you guys bother with this barrel for moderate-to-high round count carbine step, or just pony up the extra money for a midlenth gas system on a 16" barrel?

That’s a good deal and if the barrel is fine, it’ll last a long time. DD makes great barrels. But I wouldn’t do it. There’s no reason IMO to not get a midlength system. It’ll shoot softer and last longer, especially if it’s an older DD barrel because they used to have unnecessarily huge gas ports. Plus, the M4/gov’t profile barrel is just stupid. Something with a continuous taper has much better handling characteristics. DD is often a touch more accurate, but I’ll take BCM’s enhanced profile midlength barrel all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a smoking hot deal, then use an H3 buffer and rock on.

Site Supporter
    Buy the smoking deal - good on you if you wear it out.

How many rounds a year are you going to put through it? Do you really think you'll wear it out? Even if you do it's not like parts will cause you to go bankrupt.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    How many rounds a year are you going to put through it? Do you really think you'll wear it out? Even if you do it's not like parts will cause you to go bankrupt.
    I think for me it is more of a question of if I can improve the durability of the design(such as the suggestion of using a H3 buffer), so that I am less likely to get a parts failure in a defensive situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    I think for me it is more of a question of if I can improve the durability of the design(such as the suggestion of using a H3 buffer), so that I am less likely to get a parts failure in a defensive situation.
    You’d have to put a lot of rounds through it for that to be a significant concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    So it has been a while since I've built a rifle, and a buddy of mine has a brand new stripped Daniel Defense 16" CHF M4 cut barrel that he wants to sell me for cheap. This particular barrel runs for over $300 online, and he has offered it to me for $150(probably talk him down to around $100). I've read the Armalite article of the link between premature bolt lug wear as a result of the 16" barrel and carbine gas system in the past, but since it has been about 10yrs since I've considered a 16" rifle with the carbine gas system I'm wondering if the knowledge has changed. Would you guys bother with this barrel for moderate-to-high round count carbine step, or just pony up the extra money for a midlenth gas system on a 16" barrel?
    For a moderate-to-high round count setup, and if this is your only or primary defensive use carbine, I would get a mid-length barrel. Like Wake27, I favor BCM enhanced barrels. If looking for a somewhat more 'value' priced mid-length barrel, there are several makers you often hear getting good feedback at places like m4c for making solid barrels for a good price: Sionics, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, and more recently, Aero Precision. I actually have a 16" Aero SS mid-length barrel on the way to test in an upper I'm putting together.

If you don't buy it for $150 I will, and I hate M4 contour barrels.

Since you're building, you could always go with a VLTOR A5 setup with the DD barrel.

Unless you just like worrying about trivial stuff.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List