Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rust. It's Not Just for Blued Guns.

I heard from a great machinist once, “I only know two things about stainless steel. One, it’s not stainless and two, it’s not steel.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I took the action apart tonight. The internal parts are in pretty good shape.

The frame, not so much:

Attachment 43907

Attachment 43908

I have a suspicion that some of that is mostly congealed gunk.

I'm tempted to get a small glass pan and soak the frame and sideplate in Kroil or something like that there. Maybe some kerosene?

Thoughts?
    That looks to be mostly whatthehellever lubricant they grossly over applied that has turned to goo. My money says it cleans up fairly nicely. Kroil is good stuff if you have it. WD40 is a great cleaner too, just don't pretend that it's a lube or preservative of any kind.

For any rust you can use apple cider vinegar. Let it soak for a few hours. It's a really mild acid and shouldn't hurt that stainless at all, but it'll dissolve rust and maybe make the surface slightly passive again. A 4 hour to overnight soak should kill the rust. As has been mentioned do not use a steel wire brush. Brass or plastic.

I'd be shocked if you don't have a shooter there.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 10-22-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I heard from a great machinist once, “I only know two things about stainless steel. One, it’s not stainless and two, it’s not steel.”
    Well he's batting .500 at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Well he's batting .500 at least...
    It was supposed to be a machinist joke about how it cuts and drills like dogshit compared to alloy steel. Way to be a killjoy

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    It was supposed to be a machinist joke about how it cuts and drills like dogshit compared to alloy steel. Way to be a killjoy
    Yea, I've heard similar. 20 years machining here. Was just trying to add to the snark.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Kroil is a well-ventilated-area product, BTW.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Ten minutes with some brake cleaner and a toothbrush:

Name:  IMG_2241.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2240.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  43.2 KB

Of note is that there is little to no crud or corrosion on the hammer pivot or where the rebound slide travels.

The front sight was cut for a ramp insert, so I'll need one of those. The rear frame screw and the cylinder release screw are seriously buggered, so those I'll need.

This is shaping up to "apply TLC and repeat" operation.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 10-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Looks like you have it on the run now. If you have kroil use it with some red scotchbrite. Kroil isn't mandatory just about the best. PB Blaster that you can get at any auto parts house is just about as good. Work the rusted parts out with that and you'll have a good shooter. Of course there's the vinegar soak too, but your going to have some polishing regardless.

How are the chambers and bore? If the bore has some pitting you can do a lot with a jag, patch and JB Bore paste. Chances are that you'll never know it has pitting in it unless it's real bad.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are YouTube videos on the white vinegar rust treatment. I've never used it. I'd be careful about any chemically active solution soaking into the barrel/frame threads. There are also videos about electrolytic rust removal. Might be better if it doesn't leave chemicals where you don't want them to stay around.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The bore has some leading. I will need to clean that up. I also have to do a close inspection of the internals to see what needs replacing.

Hopefully I can keep all of the fitted parts original.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List