Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rust. It's Not Just for Blued Guns.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Rust. It's Not Just for Blued Guns.

I got to examine a "no dash" model 60. The frame under the grips is badly rusted. Popping off the sideplate, there is is rust throughout the lockwork. That rust isn't too bad, as there was a bunch of jelled oil with flushed out with brake cleaner. The hammer was dehorned not expertly. The front sight was inlet for a plastic insert, which was gone. The screw for the cylinder release looks like someone tried to use a phillips screwdriver on it.

My inclination is to buy it (and I can get it cheap) then disassemble it. My feeling is that no matter what I do, I can't screw it up worse than it already is.

The sad thing was telling the owner who inherited that and other guns that there were several $500+ guns that were about two grades above scrap metal.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    It's "StainLESS", not "StainFREE". I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's amazing how many folks don't know that.

Chris

As a dedicated "shooter who saves unwanted and unloved guns", my only concern is "rust throughout the lockwork" as that could mean the need for new internals as well as hidden damage under the sideplate. Cosmetic damage can be tackled a variety of ways, but damaged internals end up being costly, either with replacement parts or lots of welding and handwork. At the least, all of the springs should be replaced.

Springs and a general cleanup, I can do that. But if it gets to the point where a lot of the internals need to be replaced, then it’s all over. I don’t mind spending time on it, but I’m not gonna sink several hundred dollars into a rusted-out POS.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It's "StainLESS", not "StainFREE".
    Or, as I want to told my boss, “it’s stainless, not stain-no.”

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It's "StainLESS", not "StainFREE". I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's amazing how many folks don't know that.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Or, as I want to told my boss, “it’s stainless, not stain-no.”
    In my former life as an appliance repair tech, I can't tell you how many times I had to have that conversation with people. And then having to explain why they couldn't hang little Johnny Sue's artwork on the doors anymore because science.

And you haven't lived until you've had to explain why the door you replaced on their $10K refrigerator doesn't exactly match the other door because of allowable production variables and science again.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I would guess that some of the internal rust is from carbon parts, and in any case is probably not fatal. Springs arent expensive, even factory ones. Most internal parts are available for reasonable cost, but Id be surprised if it needed everything replaced.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I have a 1972 no-dash Model 60, and it’s not a very complicated revolver. I bought mine in like new condition, but Numrich carries plenty of spare parts.

As someone pointed out in my K-frame resurrection thread, an angel gets its wings when an old revolver is saved from the grave.

Do it. We don't buy these and go through these projects because they make fiscal sense, anyway.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    As someone pointed out in my K-frame resurrection thread, an angel gets its wings when an old revolver is saved from the grave.

Do it. We don't buy these and go through these projects because they make fiscal sense, anyway.
    Exactly. I spent more money having Jim Stroh @ Alphaprecision rebuild a 32-20 M&P than the gun was worth. He had to make a couple parts from scratch as replacements were no longer available. I did so because it was a gift from a friend and it was a cool old revolver that you don't see often.

Chris

User Tag List