Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classes specifically for DA/SA pistols? Necessary or just take any class with a DA/?

I recently took the tactical pistol course from Ernest Langdon and he did touch briefly on the DA/SA but not too intensely and I’m guessing it was because he wanted to cater his training to everyone including the non-DA/SA shooters. That being said I recently switched to DA/SA in January and I found you can learn a lot from just googling and YouTubing pointers and lessons on how to master the DA/SA. Dry-firing will help a lot too. That should at least get you started until you find class that can help with your specific needs.

I think the most valuable classes are the ones that teach you how to learn and how to train. Ben Stoeger, Mike Seeklander, Gabe White, and Keith Tyler were the best I’ve trained with in this regard.

Getting some personal coaching on your trigger pull, grip, stance, and manipulation can be very helpful and save a lot of time and ammo.

DA/SA isn’t nearly as different as I expected when I switched. I don’t think it requires a special class.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think the most valuable classes are the ones that teach you how to learn and how to train. Ben Stoeger, Mike Seeklander, Gabe White, and Keith Tyler were the best I’ve trained with in this regard.

Getting some personal coaching on your trigger pull, grip, stance, and manipulation can be very helpful and save a lot of time and ammo.

DA/SA isn’t nearly as different as I expected when I switched. I don’t think it requires a special class.
    I'd say that anything "different" about DA/SA vs Striker fired guns can be solved with the judicious application of dry fire.

Another vote for Jerry Jones at Operation Specific Training.
    Last edited by Sammy1; 10-13-2019 at 06:31 AM.

You could probably add John McPhee to the list of guys who taught DA/SA.

Last time I went to a Givens class it was Glock-centric and I was given no special instruction on DA/SA. I don't know if that's how Tom rolls, or if it was because the group included a few dangerous people (I don't mean that in a good way). Slingshot slide release was taught exclusively, so I ignored it and used my slide release. There were a couple other minor things that didn't work for me or required me to adapt for the drill. It wasn't a big deal, but maybe if I'd been brand new it might have bothered me.

I think if you practice the differences yourself, you'll be OK. IME my biggest opportunity to fuck it up is the first SA shot, so I still run these drills all the time:
    -draw and single shot, decock
    -draw and two shots, decock
    -draw and three shots, decock
    -decock like a rabid monkey. DB says until it's subconscious.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Why would you need a class around DA/SA? That’s like a driving school that only teaches you how to drive a Ford.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I'm not aware of any classes that are DA/SA specific. I am aware of several instructors that actually understand them enough to teach the nuances of DA/SA, and a bunch of instructors that don't.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Why would you need a class around DA/SA? That’s like a driving school that only teaches you how to drive a Ford.
    Is it? Or is it manual vs auto transmission? Or floor shifter vs paddle shifter?

Again... I’m not saying it’s necessary or not. I’m looking for input from our collective expertise.

Specialized classes exist for a few reasons — to give instructors something special to sell, and give students an opportunity to accelerate their specific knowledge by learning from someone else’s experience.

Compared to a striker or 1911, shooting a DA/SA requires knowing three things — pressing a DA trigger, making the DA to SA transition, and knowing when and how to decock the pistol. If you know how to shoot a DA/SA, these three things are obvious, but if you are not familiar with a DA/SA, you might not know what you don’t know. Unfortunately, the special sauce is the easy part, and the hard part is what you learn only through dedicated practice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Specialized classes exist for a few reasons — to give instructors something special to sell, and give students an opportunity to accelerate their specific knowledge by learning from someone else’s experience.

Compared to a striker or 1911, shooting a DA/SA requires knowing three things — pressing a DA trigger, making the DA to SA transition, and knowing when and how to decock the pistol. If you know how to shoot a DA/SA, these three things are obvious, but if you are not familiar with a DA/SA, you might not know what you don’t know. Unfortunately, the special sauce is the easy part, and the hard part is what you learn only through dedicated practice.
    Seems logical enough. I have no problem putting in the work both live and dry fire. I’ve laid out of pocket for several classes and shoot matches as often as possible - usually monthly. I’m just looking to make sure I’m practicing correctly and not creating or reinforcing bad habits. Thanks!

User Tag List