Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classes specifically for DA/SA pistols? Necessary or just take any class with a DA/?

Site Supporter
    I took Ernest's class with my Beretta because its Ernest. There were strikers in the class and the instruction was not tailored to a specific action type from what I recall.

I'm not sure instruction specific to a particular actuon type is necessarily beneficial but I'm certainly not an expert.
    Last edited by rd62; 10-12-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    And I don’t think anyone even teaches a class for TDA only guns. I could take a class with EL - training with him is on my bucket list anyway. But surely he has students shoot SFA guns in his classes right?
    I’ve trained with Ernest several times, both in open enrollment and private classes. The first time I took a class with him, he was still associated with S&W and shooting a M&P. I shot both a Glock and VP9 in his classes. Granted it was a private class, but when I shot my Brigadier Tactical, all the other shooters carried Glocks save for a lone 1911 aficionado.

I recommend him unequivocally regardless of your preferred trigger, but he’s definitely the Beretta expert.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Platform specific training is mostly a gimmick.

I say this as someone who teaches a Kalashnikov class. However, it’s a six hour workshop limited to the deltas between an AR and AK. I try not to get high off the smell of my own farts.

If trainers routinely run mixed pump and auto loader shotgun classes (they do) then you don’t need a specialized semi auto handgun class.

If you still feel strongly perhaps seek out one-on-one coaching. I know people have gone to visit Bob Vogel one-on-one for a not unreasonable cost.
    Thanks. I figured that might be the answer. I don’t feel strongly one way or the other. Just trying to see what the P-F community thoughts are on the subject. This is the place I tend to find the best and most well thought out information.

I don’t think the class needs to platform specific. However, it does need to be with an instructor that knows how to teach TDA. Unfortunately, that’s not as common as it once was. I’d add Bruce Gray to the list of instructors that know how to teach TDA.
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-12-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Don't forget Mike Pannone.

Like most here, I have my doubts that a dedicated DA/SA class makes sense, but simply having an instructor well versed in it to drop a few nuggets here or there. I would hold the same for things like RDSes on handguns. Maybe with the proliferation of the STI guns in the tactical realm (unless it fades as quickly as the Hudson), we'll start seeing instructors start putting on SAO classes...

I'll put in a plug for Jerry Jones and his crew at Operation Specific Training.

I've trained with most of the instructors mentioned in this thread. Most of the classes mentioned are fairly broad so relatively little time is dedicated to the minutia of operating the trigger.*** If your looking for a DA/SA specific class then I'd think trigger management minutia is what you're after.

The nice thing about the OpSpec Training Practical Fundamentals and Applied Fundamentals classes is that they focus hard on trigger control and the other fundamentals and TTPs are secondary. Most of the class is trigger control. Jerry is very competent with a DA/SA trigger and I'd guess at least half of their students shoot DA/SA guns in classes.

*** (That's not to an insult. They are all great instructors with great coursework. My website endorses all of them and if Super Dave regularly held classes I'd get him onboard too. )

ETA: @LSP552 kinda beat me to it. I don't think Bruce is teaching much any more. I'm pretty sure Jones is doing most of the coursework for their operation these days.
    Last edited by David S.; 10-12-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'll put in a plug for Jerry Jones and his crew at Operation Specific Training.

I've trained with most of the instructors mentioned in this thread. Most of the classes mentioned are fairly broad so relatively little time is dedicated to the minutia of operating the trigger.*** If your looking for a DA/SA specific class then I'd think trigger management minutia is what you're after.

The nice thing about the OpSpec Training Practical Fundamentals and Applied Fundamentals classes is that they focus hard on trigger control and the other fundamentals and TTPs are secondary. Most of the class is trigger control. Jerry is very competent with a DA/SA trigger and I'd guess at least half of their students shoot DA/SA guns in classes.

ETA: @LSP552 kinda beat me to it. I don't think Bruce is teaching much any more. I'm pretty sure Jones is doing most of the coursework for their operation these days.
    Jerry Jones is an outstanding instructor and definitely understands how to teach and diagnose TDA. The class I took had Bruce, Jerry Jones and Randy Lee teaching.

At a good shop you should be ok, and also able to translate for yourself into DA/SA-ese. I took a class a few months back and was the only DA/SA in the crew, I mostly compensated on my own but to the instructors credit one of them came with a DA/SA pistol the second day, and they did make an effort to address differences when it came to how to manipulate the weapon.

If I could travel to a Langdon class of course that would be the ultimate but don't let it discourage you. Its a great opportunity to feel smug and privately superior.

After I heard two reigning National champions teach a DA shot differently, one of them in the way that would make most DA/SA people yell "heresy", I came to a conclusion that there was no DA/SA specific training. There are instructors who poopoo DA/SA, and there are instructors who can shoot anything; that's my take on this subject.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List