Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classes specifically for DA/SA pistols? Necessary or just take any class with a DA/?

Classes specifically for DA/SA pistols? Necessary or just take any class with a DA/?

I wasn’t sure if I should post this here, the Training sub, or even GD. Mods feel free to relocate if appropriate.

I exist in a striker fired world. It’s my duty weapon and I embraced Glocks well over a decade ago. I actually like them too. They are all I carry. I use them in classes and competitions. But I have always been a Beretta 92 fan since the Air Force and I have one that comes out of the safe every now and then.

The thread we have where we pray monthly @Dagga Boy will hold an AUG specific class got me thinking. Would there be any utility in a pistol class designed for TDA pistols? Or is the way we shoot pistols similar enough that I can just run the Beretta in any pistol class and get the reps I want? Where the AUG and AR have some key differences such as mag changes, bolt releases, etc, I’m not sure having a different trigger on a pistol is different enough.

And I don’t think anyone even teaches a class for TDA only guns. I could take a class with EL - training with him is on my bucket list anyway. But surely he has students shoot SFA guns in his classes right?

I won’t be carrying my Beretta, so it’s more of a want than a need. But I feel the urge to maintain some skills with a TDA pistol as a student and a firearms instructor. Maybe just spending more time working the trigger transition is enough?

Thoughts? Would there be merit in a TDA specific class? Or am I just overthinking it and just need to take a 2 day class with one to get the same result?

I'd ask what you need / want out of the class? You looking to improve your skills with that specific pistol? Need to examine your goals first and see if you really need a special class to meet them.

You mentioned getting reps...can you get those on your own time without an instructor?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I'd ask what you need / want out of the class? You looking to improve your skills with that specific pistol? Need to examine your goals first and see if you really need a special class to meet them.

You mentioned getting reps...can you get those on your own time without an instructor?
    If I was a betting man I’d say I probably could get it on my own. But that’s the conversation I'm trying to start. I’ve been away from them for serious purposes for so long I don’t know what I don’t know.

I’m looking to be able to effectively and efficiently run a DA/SA gun for myself as well as teach other shooters the best techniques. While my agency doesn’t authorize them, I do have non-LE people ask me to help them shoot better off duty.

There was a Facebook post in the Rangemaster Instructor group that touched on this. DB suggested finding an instructor who has a high level of skill with a DA/SA and take a class from them. I don’t think it needs to be a DA/SA only class, but the instructor definitely needs to know how to run one. DB and EL immediately come to mind. Tom Givens as well. I really want to train with EL.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    There was a Facebook post in the Rangemaster Instructor group that touched on this. DB suggested finding an instructor who has a high level of skill with a DA/SA and take a class from them. I don’t think it needs to be a DA/SA only class, but the instructor definitely needs to know how to run one. DB and EL immediately come to mind. Tom Givens as well. I really want to train with EL.
    That was my original plan. Take a Langdon Tactical class and use the Beretta. But the AUG class thread got me wondering. Lol!

ETA- my thought was to get the maximum result it needs to be an instructor who can troubleshoot and diagnose on a TDA pistol.
    Last edited by El Cid; 10-12-2019 at 06:36 PM.

I'd throw Dave Harrington in there as well.

What about your agency or academy instructors? They might also know someone locally.
    Last edited by Redhat; 10-12-2019 at 06:37 PM.

I don’t know your skill level so I hesitate to comment... but I’d say from my own experience that you DON’T need specific DA/SA training. It’s just two trigger presses. Train with EL as he has a reputation for it and it’s on your bucket list but I think it’s easy for enthusiasts and amateurs and professionals to overthink these things.

“ Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick.
    After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick.
    Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick”
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Rather than look for a TDA-specific class, I'd look for a trainer who's been around long enough to be familiar with shooting TDA guns. Gray hair is an indicator. My perception is that a lot of the younger (<35 years old) trainers have come up almost exclusively on SFA guns. If there's a trainer you'd like to work with, I'd shoot him/her an email and ask.

Of the trainers on this forum, I can recommend Lee Weems as one familiar with TDA guns. IIRC, his first issue pistol was a TDA S&W .40 of some flavor. He was quite comfortable with me and my PX4.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I'd throw Dave Harrington in there as well.

What about your agency or academy instructors? They might also know someone locally.
    Thanks! I completely forgot about “Super Dave!”

Platform specific training is mostly a gimmick.

I say this as someone who teaches a Kalashnikov class. However, it’s a six hour workshop limited to the deltas between an AR and AK. I try not to get high off the smell of my own farts.

If trainers routinely run mixed pump and auto loader shotgun classes (they do) then you don’t need a specialized semi auto handgun class.

If you still feel strongly perhaps seek out one-on-one coaching. I know people have gone to visit Bob Vogel one-on-one for a not unreasonable cost.

User Tag List