Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooper Tunnels and Related Matters

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    USPSA isn't just a test of "shooting prowess".
    As a USPSA shooter, that's just stupid.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    As a USPSA shooter, that's just stupid.
    Everybod should be allowed and encouraged to compete who safely can. However, if your athletic abilities are limited due talent, or health problems you shouldn’t expect the sport to change to increase your chance of placing well. The last thing uspsa needs to do is to dumb down the non-marksmanship athletic aspects like fast running starts/stops, leaning shots etc. so that boomers can shoot the equivalent of a cowboy action match with open pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Everybod should be allowed and encouraged to compete who safely can. However, if your athletic abilities are limited due talent, or health problems you shouldn’t expect the sport to change to increase your chance of placing well. The last thing uspsa needs to do is to dumb down the non-marksmanship athletic aspects like fast running starts/stops, leaning shots etc. so that boomers can shoot the equivalent of a cowboy action match with open pistols.
    Why? It's shooting not gymnastics. If you want to stage a gymnastics match play fucking gymnastics games.

Site Supporter
    Why? It's shooting not gymnastics. If you want to stage a gymnastics match play fucking gymnastics games.

The Cooper tunnel in the op wasn’t mandatory, the shooter was just being a douche and he’s lucky somebody didn’t get hurt. Unlike a lot of sports, there are ways that physically limited people still can compete in USPSA, which is cool even if they don’t have a chance to actually win.

If you want to test pure shooting skills without movement shoot bullseye or steel challenge. Part of what draws folks to uspsa are the additional physical aspects of the sport besides shooting that other gun games don’t offer. Or, be like Glenn and plenty of other older or physically limited folks and participate at the level you’re safely capable of without bitching that you can’t place well because of your blown out knees or bad back. Just don’t try to turn the sport into the USPSAARP; there are other games for that.

Site Supporter
    Zinc made me laugh on that one. It's acknowledged that USPSA has no reality except for practicing skills. I will opine (flame on) that the Cooper tunnelm specifically, is idiotic in a gun match and shooting guns in a venue that might cause a drop, that are not drop free is equally idiotic. IDPA isn't realistic either but it seems a touch more sensible as a focus on shooting. Biathlon seems a better athletic shooting event.

If the game is gymnastics and athletic - USPSA needs a gymnastics doc checkup for all competitors with the associated probe of ...

Same old debate of the two sports. Our opinions will differ. I don't find the running that problematic in USPSA. That tunnel, though, bothers me.

Golf should add a timed component of running 250 yards to get to your next shot on a long hole.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 10-12-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    As a USPSA shooter as well, I totally agree with this.

I’ve been at the local set up and have seen the guys back off a low port or kneeling position because “guys with bad knees” and such. I thought that was pretty weak.

USPSA is a whole lot more than just shooting the targets for best points, - the speed, agility and physical ability combined with the shooting, that is a large part of what makes it really good to me.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Site Supporter
    I think my MRIs handle
    “guys with bad knees”
    reality. Nothing like coming down the stairs and having shooting pains that might bowl you over. Don't need that during gun manipulation. In fact, there was a stage to kneel behind a barrel. The knee's revenge struck and over I went. Gun down range and still behind cover, so I kept shooting. However, a team of horses got me back up.

The answer is clear. Choose a discipline that fits you. The discipline can decide what is important. As I said, the practical shooting aspect of USPSA is long gone. IDPA is toying with doing that now, with constant rule changes. The movement and cover changes watered down its already limited handle on reality.

Also, we face the goal of the match situation - improving your own skills or winning against other folks. Personal improvement is my goal and if a sport throws silliness in the way of that, it's not my game or I will shoot it and take the penalties.

Maybe we should run all stand-and-shoot standards and classifiers so as to accommodate the olds and the fats.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Cooper Tunnels and Related Matters

I like USPSA more than any other shooting sport because of hit factor scoring and physical and strategic challenges. Also, it is well accepted that USPSA is among the best ways to develop skills that matter in a real gunfight.

There are Senior and Super Senior categories to acknowledge the fact that age is a handicap. I’ve seen super old guys doing their best under very challenging circumstances and am inspired by that. That’s going to be me someday.

But I want to keep the sport about shooting at the limits of human performance.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-13-2019 at 03:25 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

There are plenty of shooting sports that don't require any sort of athleticism whatsoever. The level of physicality in USPSA fell off for some time, but in the current era it's returning, and that's a good thing for the sport. If you want a pure test of marksmanship without any movement, there's Steel Challenge. If you want some dynamic movement, there's IDPA.

User Tag List