Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1.75” Belt for Competition??

  1. #1

    1.75” Belt for Competition??

    Anyone experiment or wear a 1.75” belt for running and gunning? I feel like my 1.5” Shooters Connection belt is floppy when I have 5 mags and a steel gun - I’ve worn a 1.5 Ghost belt in the past but wore it out quickly. I know people swear by DAA but I’m thinking if I increase the surface area of the belt the mags and gun are likely to be more secure on my body frame. Yes yes I know Ben and other champs have worn the 1.5 but I feel like it flexes too much on my hips as I typically wear my belt lower (think I have a shorter torso and longer legs).

    Do you three gunners wear a 1.75”? I don’t see a lot on Enos about it. The setup I’m thinking of consists of a 1.5” inner that’s more stiff than standard inners and a 1.75” outer - just asking before I drop over $100 on something that doesn’t seem to be mainstream.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Anyone experiment or wear a 1.75” belt for running and gunning? I feel like my 1.5” Shooters Connection belt is floppy when I have 5 mags and a steel gun - I’ve worn a 1.5 Ghost belt in the past but wore it out quickly. I know people swear by DAA but I’m thinking if I increase the surface area of the belt the mags and gun are likely to be more secure on my body frame. Yes yes I know Ben and other champs have worn the 1.5 but I feel like it flexes too much on my hips as I typically wear my belt lower (think I have a shorter torso and longer legs).

    Do you three gunners wear a 1.75”? I don’t see a lot on Enos about it. The setup I’m thinking of consists of a 1.5” inner that’s more stiff than standard inners and a 1.75” outer - just asking before I drop over $100 on something that doesn’t seem to be mainstream.
    Never tried a 1.75, the DAA is the stiffest belt I've had and it is a substantial upgrade in stiffness vs the CR speed belts I had in the past. Don't know about ghost or SC.


    My 2 cents:
    Can you find a holster hanger and decent mag carriers for the 1.75 inch belt? I'd at least make sure you can source a whole rig before buying the belt.

    Is your inner belt secured well to your outer? I've seen people running a holster and 5 pouches on bladetech tek-loks and only 50% of the belt inner belt is touching the outer, resulting in floppiness. If so putting velcro on the back of tek-loks (or whatever attachment system you use) can make a big difference.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    TX Gulf Coast
    I run the same Safariland ELS belt for USPSA and 3-Gun events. The ELS outer belt is 1.75, the inner belt is 1.5. I cut mine and added a ratchet system to really cinch it down with all of my 3-Gun stuff added to it. No complaints on stability. ELS system allows me change out between shell caddies, pistol mag pouches and rifle mag pouches. QLS makes swapping holsters easy. I love this setup.





    Last edited by andre3k; 10-11-2019 at 10:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Thanks to you both - my holsters and mag pouches are adjustable to 1.75” which initially started this thought of mine. I’ve placed industrial Velcro on the pouches and holster but it seems like the entirety of the belt shifts as the inner doesn’t stay “tight” as the whole thing moves from my hips to my waist. I think a ratcheting or tightening system might be in my future - looking at the cobra buckle belts currently.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

  5. #5
    I haven't actually tried it but since you're having trouble with the 1.5" then I guess it's worth the try.

  6. #6
    There are a couple of options before going wider. One is a stiffer inner belt. I feel that it increases the stiffness of the entire belt/belt/gear system. I have a couple of these and I feel like they do provide some advantage.
    https://www.weare-nerd.com/competiti...ose-inner-belt

    I have also heard good things about this belt, plastic reinforced leather rig, but don't have a personal experience.
    https://atlasgunworks.com/product/at...shooting-belt/
    Last edited by YVK; 11-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    “Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.

  7. #7
    Member Alpha Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    I feel like my 1.5” Shooters Connection belt is floppy when I have 5 mags and a steel gun - I’ve worn a 1.5 Ghost belt in the past but wore it out quickly.
    How long have you had your SC belt? I just bought one a few weeks back to mount a 5" 627 (a chunk of steel if there ever was one) and big mass of moonclips for USPSA and find it significantly stiffer than the 4 year old DAA belt that my production gun (P-09) and its mags ride on.

    I like the SC belt enough to have ordered a second one to replace the DAA I have now.

    The DAA inner belt is a complete POS compared to what came with my SC belt. I never knew how junky, thin, and flexible it was because I had nothing to compare it to. The SC inner is significantly beefier and the outer is super stiff. Who knows how long it will stay that way tho.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 11-21-2019 at 10:25 AM.

  8. #8
    Site Supporter Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Redneck wonderland
    The Double Alpha belt is significantly stiffer than most of the other options. I have never heard of anyone wearing it properly complain that it wasn't stiff enough.

    The inner belt needs to be tight, and the outer belt must be attached to the inner velcro all the way around.

    You need to add adhesive hook velcro to the inside of all mag carriers and the holster hanger.

    If you use a crappy plastic drop-offset hanger, it will feel like your belt is floppy. Also, make sure your gear isn't held on with floppy attachments (e.g. Tek-loc).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-21-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

  9. #9
    Member Alpha Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The Double Alpha belt is significantly stiffer than most of the other options. I have never heard of anyone wearing it properly complain that it wasn't stiff enough.

    The inner belt needs to be tight, and the outer belt must be attached to the inner velcro all the way around.

    You need to add adhesive hook velcro to the inside of all mag carriers and the holster hanger.

    If you use a crappy plastic drop-offset hanger, it will feel like your belt is floppy. Also, make sure your gear isn't held on with floppy attachments (e.g. Tek-loc).
    Since I think the above is directed at me, here's my reply.

    I know how to wear these belts. I suck in my waist when I tighten the inner belt and I work the outer belt slowly over the inner to make as much Velcro contact as possible. My Production holster hangs from a BOSS and while it doesn't have Velcro on it (good idea) it's far narrower than the plastic trash hangers that come from Comp-Tac and others or the Tek-Lok things. All my mag carriers are DAA, which means they have only a very narrow strip of steel over the back of the outer belt's Velcro and leave tons of exposed Velcro on the outer belt's inner surface.

    What I'm talking about is the torsional rigidity of these belts when they are relaxed and not being worn. My SC belt is clearly and obviously stiffer in torsion than my DAA belt. Is it because the SC is new and the DAA is four years old? Maybe. Be that as it may, the stiffness of the new SC belt is enough to make me order another one to replace my old DAA. It doesn't hurt that I saved $20.

    As a matter of fact, my revolver rig on a SC belt has three Tek-Loks: one holding the holster via an Invictus hanger and two holding the North Mountain moonclip rack on the front. Those things really reduce the contact between the inner and outer and even then my revolver rig is far stiffer when I wear it than my DAA production belt.

    The DAA inner belt is like paper in both thickness and stiffness compared to the Shooter's Connection inner belt.

    I'm OK if no one believes that. I have seen and felt the differences first hand, and that's good enough.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 11-21-2019 at 11:56 AM.

  10. #10
    Site Supporter Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Redneck wonderland
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Since I think the above is directed at me, here's my reply.

    I know how to wear these belts. I suck in my waist when I tighten the inner belt and I work the outer belt slowly over the inner to make as much Velcro contact as possible. My Production holster hangs from a BOSS and while it doesn't have Velcro on it (good idea) it's far narrower than the plastic trash hangers that come from Comp-Tac and others or the Tek-Lok things. All my mag carriers are DAA, which means they have only a very narrow strip of steel over the back of the outer belt's Velcro and leave tons of exposed Velcro on the outer belt's inner surface.

    What I'm talking about is the torsional rigidity of these belts when they are relaxed and not being worn. My SC belt is clearly and obviously stiffer in torsion than my DAA belt. Is it because the SC is new and the DAA is four years old? Maybe. Be that as it may, the stiffness of the new SC belt is enough to make me order another one to replace my old DAA. It doesn't hurt that I saved $20.

    As a matter of fact, my revolver rig on a SC belt has three Tek-Loks: one holding the holster via an Invictus hanger and two holding the North Mountain moonclip rack on the front. Those things really reduce the contact between the inner and outer and even then my revolver rig is far stiffer when I wear it than my DAA production belt.

    The DAA inner belt is like paper in both thickness and stiffness compared to the Shooter's Connection inner belt.

    I'm OK if no one believes that. I have seen and felt the differences first hand, and that's good enough.
    Sorry--I didn't mean to direct my message at anyone in particular--just to address the need (or lack) for a 1.75" belt. I haven't tried a Shooters Connection belt, but will give it a try when one of my AA belts needs replacing. They do wear, and eventually the inner plastic cracks.

    FYI, CR speed belts aren't stiff enough.

    I actually like the thin, supple AA inner belt because it securely attaches my pants to the stiff outer belt. I don't think a stiffer inner belt is needed if the outer belt is solid.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-21-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •