Thread: Week 342: The Wizard Drill

Week 342: The Wizard Drill

Week 342: The Wizard Drill

Results may be posted until November 11th, 2019.

Designed by: Ken Hackathorn
    Range: 3-10 yards
    Target: IDPA with 4" circle added to the head
    Start Position: Facing downrange, hands hanging naturally
    Rounds Fired: 5

This drill is actually a test, intended to determine competency with realistic equipment. It is supposed to be shot cold, with carry ammo, and with duty or concealed carry gear.

Start position for all strings is facing downrange, hands at sides. Shooters using pocket-carried handguns may start with the hand already on the gun. Par time is 2.5 seconds for all strings.

String 1, 3 yards: Draw and fire one shot to the head, strong hand only.
    String 2, 5 yards: Draw and fire one shot to the head, freestyle.
    String 3, 7 yards: Draw and fire one shot to the head, freestyle.
    String 4, 10 yards: Draw and fire two shots to the body, freestyle.

The Wizard is scored pass/fail. To pass, you must be under the par time on all strings, and have no more than two points down. The 4" circle in the head and the 8" circle in the body (-0 zones) are no penalty. Shots in the head (but out of the circle) or in the -1 zone are one point down. Shots to the -3 zone and misses are an automatic fail. Overtime shots are an automatic fail.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment, and ammo
    Pass or Fail
    Number of points down
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

A steady favorite of mine, but I wasn’t quite up to speed this afternoon at the end of the workday.
    GLOCK Model 45MOS with Trijicon RMR mounted, Safariland GLS holster under a uniform jacket. Set up on lit indoor range with an IDPA target with one of the “Tactical Professors” drawn face target/4” circle. Hornady 135gr. “FBI” ammo.
    Fail on times: 2.56, 2.12, 2.26 and 2.66 @10 yards. Hits all good.

Things noticed: I always need to work on cc draws, as I carry openly much of the time, duty gear,etc. On SHO draw I was not indexed, “hunted” dot. 5&7 yards almost literally “on the nose”. 10 yards sometimes a challenge for me, but got it this time on hits.
    So, a little more practice on concealed carry draws, to include one hand(maybe both!)
    I thank the gents involved with the drill and this site!

One of the best tests for pocketguns.

Shot today, cold, with my 642-2 from a Safariland 25 in a pair of jeans. Front sight is painted red for the top third, white on the bottom. Rear sight is Sharpied black. No modifications to the trigger, and I have a pair of Hogue Bantam grips on there.

Times:

3y SHO: 1.79
    5y FS: 1.53
    7y FS: 1.57
    10 FS: 2.27

Pass.

Name:  T2kY1pH.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  24.9 KB

Observations: I definitely need more time shooting the 642 SHO and WHO. I had a needlessly slow trigger press on the first cold shot.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

5" m&p 2.0
    Jmck 2.5
    Under a fleece

Target - b8 for 8" circle and 3x5 for head since i had no 4"

Fail

1. 2.64 clean but ot
    2. 1.83 clean
    3. 1.88 clean
    4. 1.99 clean

I had to clean up a nasty sight picture sho caused by a sloppy presentation and went ot. Im happy with everything else

Name:  20191017_115204.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  19.5 KB
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

This drill has vexed me this week. Not quite in the spirit of it, I ran it three times, but something went sideways each time; so, report the fails with the successes...
    GLOCK19MOS with ACRO, out of a Safariland GLS under a fleece vest. 135 gr. Hornady +P.
    1st run, bobbled SHO draw, so fail. Second run was going well until 10 yards-OT, hits good. Last run was .04 over at 10 yards, all good hits.
    I will work on draw to 10 yard target, concealed, and “dry draw” to smooth things out.
    Some Spaulding drills have me some good feedback...
    Hit it right next week!

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment, and ammo: Boresight Solutions G17-5, Keepers, T shirt, Fiocchi 124 grain.
    Pass or Fail: Pass
    Number of points down: Down 1 point
    Anything you noticed: While I'm capable of quicker times, I was very deliberate on the single round stages to ensure I made the hits. I tried to be a little quicker on the ten yard stage and of course I still had plenty of time, but didn't use it effectively.

Name:  IMG_7173.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  43.2 KB
    Dale Miller
    www.azonesolutions.com

There is something to this practice thing...
    Same setup as previous attempts: Gen5 G19MOS w/ACRO mounted, out of a GLS holster under a fleece vest.
    Shot on lit indoor Dept. range, mid morning.
    All runs, two seconds and change, no points down= PASS.
    I appreciate the drill; just for variety, may run it with “duty gear”(I think Hackathorn mentioned that possibility in a video).

Just because I could this afternoon, I shot out of “duty” setup:
    GLOCK Model45MOS w/RMR2 mounted on C&H Precision plate(seems like a very nice little piece of kit), out of a Level 3
    Safariland holster. 147 gr. jhp ammo, lit indoor range, cold- first and only shots(hopefully)for the day. Target was an IDPA with Tactical Professor “face” 4 inch circle. All runs right at 2 seconds, all 5 hits where they were supposed to be=
    PASS.
    Neat little eval I hope to shoot for a long time...

Glock 19.4 and Blazer 115 from a PHLster Classic under a long-sleeved T-shirt. Kept at it until I passed:

1: Missed the SHO head shot; -1 & OT at 10. FAIL.

2: OT on the SHO shot & 7-yard string; OT &-1 at 10. FAIL.

3: Clean PASS.

Gen5 G26 with BOLD sights, out of a GLS holster under a fleece vest. 124gr PD ammo.
    No points down, all under time= PASS.
    This is an off duty/backup piece. I’ve been working almost exclusively with dots on pistols for a few months, so was curious to see if there might be a negative effect-lack of focus, whatever...
    I can still use iron sights and squeeze the trigger, at least today, cold.
    I heard years back dot shooting may actually help focus-didn’t hurt here(and practicing cc helps!)

User Tag List