Thread: Training question--armed parenty stuff

Training question--armed parenty stuff

Not entirely sure what area this question belongs in, so just sticking where it can hardly NOT belong, namely, the forum where pretty much everything belongs. I'm relatively new to pistol/defensive training, and so far I have found that my classes--excellent as they have been--have been pretty much exclusively focused on being responsible for protecting a single person. Me. Which is good. I'd like to be well-protected. But most of the time I have other people with me.

So since I became aware of the Johnston/Lauer Armed Parent class sometime last year or so, I've been hoping to be able to sign up for it. No such luck yet. Keeping my eye on this, but it doesn't seem like they're offering it much in the coming months.

I'm planning to sign up for Tatiana Whitlock's Intermediate Handgun class up in Culpeper next fall. The description suggests that it would be exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

In the meantime, does anyone know of other training possibilities along those lines? What should I be keeping my eyes open for? Please feel free to PM me instead of replying here if that seems more appropriate.

Disclaimer: I'm in the Triad area of North Carolina, and I'm relatively poor and have lots of family/farm/work responsibilities, so travel is tricky for a number of reasons. Flying out to Texas or something is realistically just not on the agenda. Driving--well, I think Culpeper is about 4 1/2 hours. I'm actually doing that drive this month since I'm signed up for a class at FPF. It's doable, but much more than that adds probably an extra night in a hotel, etc, and starts to make things look more unattainable for me. So I'm asking for guidance about training from that fairly wimpy and minimalist perspective. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Not entirely sure what area this question belongs in, so just sticking where it can hardly NOT belong, namely, the forum where pretty much everything belongs. I'm relatively new to pistol/defensive training, and so far I have found that my classes--excellent as they have been--have been pretty much exclusively focused on being responsible for protecting a single person. Me. Which is good. I'd like to be well-protected. But most of the time I have other people with me.

So since I became aware of the Johnston/Lauer Armed Parent class sometime last year or so, I've been hoping to be able to sign up for it. No such luck yet. Keeping my eye on this, but it doesn't seem like they're offering it much in the coming months.

I'm planning to sign up for Tatiana Whitlock's Intermediate Handgun class up in Culpeper next fall. The description suggests that it would be exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

In the meantime, does anyone know of other training possibilities along those lines? What should I be keeping my eyes open for? Please feel free to PM me instead of replying here if that seems more appropriate.

Disclaimer: I'm in the Triad area of North Carolina, and I'm relatively poor and have lots of family/farm/work responsibilities, so travel is tricky for a number of reasons. Flying out to Texas or something is realistically just not on the agenda. Driving--well, I think Culpeper is about 4 1/2 hours. I'm actually doing that drive this month since I'm signed up for a class at FPF. It's doable, but much more than that adds probably an extra night in a hotel, etc, and starts to make things look more unattainable for me. So I'm asking for guidance about training from that fairly wimpy and minimalist perspective. Sorry.
    First off, focus on tactics rather than shooting. Good tactics reduce the need to fight.

Second, you won't have to travel far to find people who can teach tactics at the master level: Ft. Bragg is the epicenter of the US Army Special Operations community, and a shitload of former SF and Delta guys have retired there. Look locally for classes. Start with https://www.tmacsinc.com/

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    First off, focus on tactics rather than shooting. Good tactics reduce the need to fight.
    This 1000%.

Putting a child in a car seat reduces your situational awareness, occupies your hands and exposes your backside. Reducing these types of exposures (like placing the car seat where you can enter and lock the vehicle before putting your kid in their seat) increase survival a lot more than a firearms course will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might contact John or Melody directly to see if they have any plans for NC/SC Armed Parent classes that haven't been published yet.
    Last edited by David S.; 10-11-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    This 1000%.

Putting a child in a car seat reduces your situational awareness, occupies your hands and exposes your backside. Reducing these types of exposures (like placing the car seat where you can enter and lock the vehicle before putting your kid in their seat) increase survival a lot more than a firearms course will.
    Agreed. In fact, I don't necessarily need to shoot at all in the training I'm asking about. Should have mentioned that. Happy to shoot, as in the Whitlock class, but also happy to not shoot. I can shoot any time.

Does anyone know of anyone teaching classes on that sort of thing? I am pretty sure Pat Mac doesn't do carseat advice.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    You might contact John or Melody directly to see if they have any plans for NC/SC Armed Parent classes that haven't been published yet.
    Yes, I guess I could. I guess maybe I should do that now. For some reason, sometimes the direct route doesn't occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Yes, I guess I could. I guess maybe I should do that now. For some reason, sometimes the direct route doesn't occur to me.
    You might also think about hosting their class.
    David S.

User Tag List