Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver input from my wife

Site Supporter

Revolver input from my wife

Yesterday my wife was trying my revolvers in anticipation of going shooting. She is not interested in carrying or shooting in general but I am trying. She tried to lock the slide back on a S&W shield 9mm and did it with difficulty so we moved on to revolvers. The 4” model 64 HB was deemed too heavy. The 2” model 64 was called ok. She liked my 642 but the last time she shot it she said it recoiled too much. My fault; I didn’t bring any wadcutters. She said my 4” model 34 was nice but she really liked my model 43c and my model 315. Both of them have lightweight frames and big dot sights. I need to get a 4” model 10 with a skinny barrel.
    I think S&W is missing the boat by not making the 642 with a big dot front sight and making another run of 315s. I think the problem with the original nightguard series was timing and too many models. Poor Timing with the economy at that time with so many models how can a guy budget? They also need to do a .32 mag or .327 version of the 642. A 632 2” without the port. And while I’m wishing, bring back the 642 power port and 66 f Comp
    Last edited by Poconnor; 10-11-2019 at 07:35 AM.

A 442/642 with a pinned front sight would solve so many problems it wouldn’t even be funny.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A Model 15 might work; better sights than a Model 10 and they don't usually have a heavy barrel.

3" Model 60, maybe?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Maybe rent an LCR?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I think S&W is missing the boat by not making the 642 with a big dot front sight and making another run of 315s. I think the problem with the original nightguard series was timing and too many models. Poor Timing with the economy at that time with so many models how can a guy budget?
    I've been saying that for awhile. It's not like Chevrolet never built another Z06 Corvette because the sales went in the tank that year.

While they're at it, they should do another run of 327 PDs; maybe call it something else and use a stainless cylinder.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I think S&W is missing the boat by not making the 642 with a big dot front sight

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    A 442/642 with a pinned front sight would solve so many problems it wouldn’t even be funny.
    This is the whole reason that I own an LCR, and only collect 3" Js.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    My recollection is likely less than perfect, but I recall thinking when the Night Guard series was introduced, S&W had a great idea that they ruined by having few model configurations that made sense.

Sticking with traditional, terrible sights and traditionally designed, heavy trigger systems on their J-frames has not helped them remain competitive with Ruger. Given the slightly smaller size of the J-frame as compared to the LCR, S&W would really do well to address these issues.

Site Supporter
    An updated 432 with better sight options would be fine. Chambering it 327 mag? Same problem as 357s in the lightweight J frames. It would be a bear to shoot. It has significant recoil in the SS 632s with the 3 inch comp'ed barrel. I can shoot it but I feel it and I'm used to lots of 45 ACP.

The model 60 sounds like a good solution from what's available.

My wife likes revolvers better than semis because she can more easily manipulate everything.

She's 5' 3" with tiny, tiny hands--too small for a Glock 19--and distracted by grad school and her postdoc.

Probably someday, we'll get a couple of Korth revolvers, but for now, she has a Kimber with the semi-auto style sights that, with wadcutters, is her favorite.

She also likes her SP101 and GP100 with the Hogue monogrips.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    An updated 432 with better sight options would be fine. Chambering it 327 mag? Same problem as 357s in the lightweight J frames. It would be a bear to shoot. It has significant recoil in the SS 632s with the 3 inch comp'ed barrel. I can shoot it but I feel it and I'm used to lots of 45 ACP.

The model 60 sounds like a good solution from what's available.
    Yeah, but what about .32H&R Mag through your .327 LCR?

User Tag List