Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I despise the SIRT, and I'm looking for an alternative.

I use a 17R that I have set up exactly like my duty pistol including the TLR1 and oem Glock nightsights. I took the 17R reset spring and replaced it with the spring from the NY1 and it feels more like a regular Glock trigger.

I think folks tend to get too hung up on replicating the trigger press of their duty/cary/competition gun in their training. I don’t see any top shooters using much else than full slide rack trigger presses, rubber band in the barrel hood, and for DA/SA folks -not letting out to full reset in their dry practice training.

I advocate in every dry fire session to do full speed wall drills and something I call speed draws to a low % targets, to ingrain proper trigger press. For everything else I just use a a small piece of plastic in the barrel hood in my Glock to simulate trigger reset.

The fact is that when you are firing at any speed, you are slapping the crap out of the trigger. Trigger press matters way less in that situation than recoil management. For all other shooting you are covered by the drills I mentioned above.

I do advocate using a training gun that has a heavier trigger than your competition gun, I think that has many positive benefits. I’m not so sure I would do that for a cary or duty gun though.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Just use the real gun.

I think most of the dry fire gadgetry out there is an excuse to buy a new toy in the name of practice rather than just rolling up the sleeves and practicing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

FWIW - I have used for...I guess 4.5'ish years now, a spring powered air-soft 1911 for like...80-90% of my dryfire work. I don't have to rack the slide to get the hammer to fall. Though the trigger press is lighter than my actual 1911s, it is roughly the same length and the gun fits perfectly into my various 5" holsters. The thumb safety works and snaps on and off with authority after I don't even know how many manipulations; quite a few thousand. If it broke tomorrow, I might be kind of bummed, because it gave good service. But otherwise, I'd order a new one and drive on. The advantage of a single action gun, I suppose, is that I can simply recock the hammer with my off-hand thumb or even strong thumb when I do trigger work.

I do have a Laserlyte barrel insert that I use every once in awhile (once a month or so) to make sure that I'm not actually disrupting the sights when I drop the hammer. It's just a little check for me to confirm what is going on, not really something I get too hung up on. Your front sight usually tells just about everything you could want to know.

Still thinking the Coolfire + Mantis-X would be an interesting thing to try. Not ready to drop the coin on it, but if I remain behind enemy lines with respect to my employment or worse go some place worse - I may do it, in lieu of a rimfire trainer (which is what I was thinking of doing next).

Wall Drill.

Everything else is a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Wall Drill.

Everything else is a gimmick.
    While the wall drill is extremely important, I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that everything else is worthless.

Ben Stoeger is no slouch when it comes to shooting, and he's written extensively about dry fire drills, beyond just doing the wall drill.

User Tag List