Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I despise the SIRT, and I'm looking for an alternative.

Student
    I think it is worth bringing up the idea, even if not for the first time, that while the SIRT is a mixed choice for dry practice of fundamentals, where it may really shine is practice from things in close contact and entangled positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I think it is worth bringing up the idea, even if not for the first time, that while the SIRT is a mixed choice for dry practice of fundamentals, where it may really shine is practice from things in close contact and entangled positions.
    Yes. And for me, I'd add that it's good for practicing things that require a muzzle direction that is unacceptable to me with my real gun. The main example are fragments of USPSA stages at home, where I only have a pretty small actual safe direction.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I’m a happy CoolFire user.

It was expensive, but it’s my trigger, and it resets.

Regarding the Mantis, I’ve been wondering what it would be like to stick one on a dedicated 22.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Do not buy a SIRT for dry practice.

It is an instructional tool. It can quite handily assist in explaining certain things to students.

I think there may have been a more recent thread on these, but worth a read if you haven't seen it before:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....yte-cartridges

As I mentioned in thread, the laserlyte cartridge works well for me for draw to first shot practice. All dry fire rules apply, but because the laserlyte does not eject when the slide is cycled, it acts as a chamber block as well as a snap cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    FWIW, to the OP, I have never felt a 17R that had the same trigger as my real Glock either. It's a 'different different' from the SIRT trigger. I think it's still productive though . . .
    Thanks, I agree that it isn't exactly like the real Glock either. We have them at work, and I've had a little time with them helping other shooters when instructing. However, we only have a few, and I would feel guilty hogging one, when struggling shooters need them more than I do. So that's why I'm considering buying my own.

I haven't put them on a gauge, but to me the 17R feels like it's pull weight is about half way between the stock Glock, and a NY1 (I had one of those in a G27 I bought from a friend). I actually like the idea of dry firing with a slightly heavier trigger pull.

I'd really like to do better dry fire training, and the SIRT trigger simply doesn't feel right to me no matter how much I've tried to adjust it. To me it was so bad I felt it was causing me problems.

Have you used both the DryFireMag and the 17R? If the DryFireMag gives a feel as close to the real deal as the 17R I'd like to save the money, but if not I'll pony up for the real deal. I have a Glock 19 that I keep a Blade-Tech barrel in for dry fire, and drop in the live barrel when I go to a match so I have a backup in case I have a problem with my carry gun. So if the DryFireMag is as good as the 17R I could go that way. So if you've used both, do you think the 17R is better, and enough so to justify the cost?

Thanks.
    Last edited by DMF13; 10-11-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I think a dedicated back up pistol that is your dry fire gun is the best move, that's what I did when shooting glocks and threw a blade tech dummy barrel in for easy identification and a pretty fool proof plan for safety.
    That's what I'm doing now, but I'm well beyond getting improvement out of a single trigger pull and racking the slide to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Do not buy a SIRT for dry practice.

It is an instructional tool. It can quite handily assist in explaining certain things to students.
    Well, I figured that out the hard way. I use the 17R at work when instructing, but use the SIRT when teaching friends outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Thanks, I agree that it isn't exactly like the real Glock either. We have them at work, and I've had a little time with them helping teach when instructing. However, we only have a few, and I would feel guilty hogging one, when struggling shooters need them more than I do. So that's why I'm considering buying my own.

I haven't put them on a gauge, but to me the 17R feels like it's pull weight is about half way between the stock Glock, and a NY1 (I had one of those in a G27 I bought from a friend). I actually like the idea of dry firing with a slightly heavier trigger pull.

I'd really like to do better dry fire training, and the SIRT trigger simply doesn't feel right to me no matter how much I've tried to adjust it.

Have you used both the DryFireMag and the 17R? If the DryFireMag gives a feel as close to the real deal as the 17R I'd like to save the money, but if not I'll pony up for the real deal. I have a Glock 19 that I keep a Blade-Tech barrel in for dry fire, and drop in the live barrel when I go to a match so I have a backup in case I have a problem with my carry gun. So if the DryFireMag is as good as the 17R I could go that way. So if you've used both, do you think the 17R is better, and enough so to justify the cost?

Thanks.
    I've tried the dry fire mag on so few occasions that all I really remember is noting that it wasn't the same as my real Glock. I think the 17R is probably better by degree for safety because there is no possibility you screw up and load and fire the gun, whereas that's at least possible with a real gun intended to only contain the dry fire mag. I'm not saying that has to be the overriding consideration but it's in there.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I've tried the dry fire mag on so few occasions that all I really remember is noting that it wasn't the same as my real Glock. I think the 17R is probably better by degree for safety because there is no possibility you screw up and load and fire the gun, whereas that's at least possible with a real gun intended to only contain the dry fire mag. I'm not saying that has to be the overriding consideration but it's in there.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Safety is a huge consideration for me, and that's why I've been using my "spare" with the Blade-Tech barrel. Despite the bright yellow barrel I triple check it before practice. When I lived in a house with a basement I was still OCD about it, but at least then a N-D would have gone into a concrete wall. Now I've got no backstop that would stop a live round when I'm doing dry fire.

User Tag List