Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I despise the SIRT, and I'm looking for an alternative.

I despise the SIRT, and I'm looking for an alternative.

I hate the SIRT. I've tinkered with the darn thing for a long time. Now matter how I try to adjust the trigger it's impossible get it to feel anything like a real trigger. Plus the laser won't stay zeroed. Good idea, but poorly executed IMO. I know many will disagree, but I can't deal with it any more.

So I want a MUCH better dry fire option, as I'm really working to significantly improve my shooting.

Are there any good options other than just spending the money on getting a Glock 17R? I have a Gen4 Glock 19 that I can use for a dedicated training gun, if there is a legit way to convert it to a resetting dry fire trainer.

I'm getting ready to order the 17R, but thought I'd ask if there is anything out there, that I've missed, that will work as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Last edited by DMF13; 10-11-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Student
    You're probably familiar with the CoolFire.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ocating-Slide)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-Dry-Practice

I wonder how it might work when paired with a Mantis.

I bought the dryfiremag 4 years ago and really liked it, until it broke. Bob Vogel endorses it.

I have a SIRT and don't like it for dry fire either, except for reloads.

Last edited by HopetonBrown; 10-11-2019 at 01:59 AM.

The 17r trigger is not exactly like a standard glock trigger. I have a dry fire mag and occasionally use it. The first one broke within the warranty period and the one I currently have has been working for about a year and a half. The downside to the dryfire mag is you can not practice reloads with it. I usually end up just simulating trigger pulls or using a piece of paper in between the breach. The dry fire mag is nice to see low shots start creeping in on longer strings. I would not bother with lasers in dry fire, call your shots and be honest about it.
    Last edited by Minnesota; 10-11-2019 at 02:13 AM.

I'm pretty certain most folks who shoot the glock at high levels just train/ dry fire with an empty glock. There seems to be a reason for that.

@Mr_White Probably has some of the best trigger drills for glock pistols and he attributes a LOT of skill gained using them.

I think a dedicated back up pistol that is your dry fire gun is the best move, that's what I did when shooting glocks and threw a blade tech dummy barrel in for easy identification and a pretty fool proof plan for safety.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I hate the SIRT. I've tinkered with the darn thing for a long time. Now matter how I try to adjust the trigger it's impossible get it to feel anything like a real trigger. Plus the laser won't stay zeroed. Good idea, but poorly executed IMO.

Good to know.

Thanks for posting an honest experienced-but-negative opinion about an item I've thought of getting for some time.

It informs and helps to save others of us from sharing the same disappointment of obtaining a hyped product which doesn't live up to expectation.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I wonder how it might work when paired with a Mantis.
    Now that's an interesting idea.

Hmm...Looks like coolfire is ~300 bucks for a 1911, a basic MantisX is $150 + 30 for a Wilson 47D adapter. And then - I need a host....hmm.

Site Supporter
    I haven't had problems with my SIRT. Yes, the trigger is not the same as my real Glocks but I've lasered around the house and put up some drills on the wall and practiced on them. Wife has commented on that (ahem). Now, I'm not the world's fastest shooter (slow old man) but I can come in 5 points total down in an IPDA match shot with a Glock. So it works for me. This is not disparage folks who do not like them.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I'm pretty certain most folks who shoot the glock at high levels just train/ dry fire with an empty glock. There seems to be a reason for that.

@Mr_White Probably has some of the best trigger drills for glock pistols and he attributes a LOT of skill gained using them.

I think a dedicated back up pistol that is your dry fire gun is the best move, that's what I did when shooting glocks and threw a blade tech dummy barrel in for easy identification and a pretty fool proof plan for safety.
    It's true that I heavily concentrate my practice on using my real gun, whether it's dry or live. The issue I have with the alternatives is the same as the OP's - the trigger is just never the same. I think the SIRT, dry fire mags, G17R, rubber band in the ejection port, etc. are all perfectly fine ways to practice. What you get with all of those are continuity of grip and vision in the course of whatever drill/practice you're doing. That's something you don't have if you work the slide for each trigger press like with a regular Glock. But the downside to all those is that the trigger is never really the SAME as on the real gun. That's why I do my practice the way that I do. I also have zero doubt that those other methods can be done extremely productively. I think it's just a personal preference thing. FWIW, to the OP, I have never felt a 17R that had the same trigger as my real Glock either. It's a 'different different' from the SIRT trigger. I think it's still productive though; it's kind of like a less extreme version of practicing trigger control with a J-frame in order to get better trigger control for your Glock trigger. That the J-frame trigger is different from the Glock does not negate the value of the practice.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Buying a SIRT was the worst $400 I ever spent. Dry firing with a red dot is currently a good solution.
    Real guns have hammers.

User Tag List