Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedgelock vs Stealth 2.0

Wedgelock vs Stealth 2.0

Looking at upper receivers and hand guards for a couple new builds and want to try something other than a URX or HK / Geissele interface. This brings me to a Zev/Triarc/SOLGW wedgelock with receiver pin versus the Larue stealth 2.0 setup. Left Hodge out of the mix as they are unobtanium at this point. SOLGW has the 6061 and 7075 wedgelock variants. Not sure what material the stealth is made from. Of these options options, which is the better, stronger, stiffer, setup and why?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Looking at upper receivers and hand guards for a couple new builds and want to try something other than a URX or HK / Geissele interface. This brings me to a Zev/Triarc/SOLGW wedgelock with receiver pin versus the Larue stealth 2.0 setup. Left Hodge out of the mix as they are unobtanium at this point. SOLGW has the 6061 and 7075 wedgelock variants. Not sure what material the stealth is made from. Of these options options, which is the better, stronger, stiffer, setup and why?
    This is apples to oranges.

Zev/TriArc/SOLGW all licensed the wedge lock design from Hodge. I believe all of them, including Hodge’s are made by ZEV in the former Mega facility, the differences are the materials the rail and barrel nut are made of.

The wedge is going to be the strongest, stiffest light /slim rail out there for a standard AR upper. It requires an index pin but that can be drilled if the upper doesn’t have one.

I have a Hodge and a ZEV. Both have been excellent.

The Stealth is the same lock up system Larue has been using on the OBR and Predatar for years. It works well enough but requires their proprietary upper receiver. It seems to be a way to get around LMTs patent on monolithic uppers.

Unless you are mounting an IR laser there will be no practical difference.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-10-2019 at 10:05 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's another wedgelock thread around here somewhere. In it, I explained the reasons I think BCM's attachment is better. Some may prefer other rails on balance for other reasons I won't argue with.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There's another wedgelock thread around here somewhere. In it, I explained the reasons I think BCM's attachment is better. Some may prefer other rails on balance for other reasons I won't argue with.
    BCM’s attachment method is good but their rails are too light and flex too much for holding zero on a laser. I can make the FF rail touch the gas block on my BCM just by loading a bipod. That said, very few users would actually notice the difference in practical use.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I specifically was referring to your earlier comments with the second part of my post. I don't recall whether your rail is KMR, KMR Alpha, MCMR, or the newest QRF. I expect there are significant differences in stiffness between the four designs.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    BCM’s attachment method is good but their rails are too light and flex too much for holding zero on a laser. I can make the FF rail touch the gas block on my BCM just by loading a bipod. That said, very few users would actually notice the difference in practical use.
    What length rail and barrel profile? Just curious because with the ELW barrel and the 10" rail I cannot get them to touch and I have gorilla hands. The 10" rails are all I have used though.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'll search for the thread you mentioned. Curious to read your thoughts on the BCM interface as I've never thought very highly of their rail products.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    What length rail and barrel profile? Just curious because with the ELW barrel and the 10" rail I cannot get them to touch and I have gorilla hands. The 10" rails are all I have used though.
    Pinned 14.5 with 13”. OG KMR.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-11-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Pinned 14.5 with 13”. OG KMR.
    Wasn't the original KMR made from a lighter more flexible alloy of something other than aluminium, unlike the ones produced now?

Could that account for the lesser rigidity?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Wasn't the original KMR made from a lighter more flexible alloy of something other than aluminium, unlike the ones produced now?

Could that account for the lesser rigidity?
    It was. A magnesium alloy.

User Tag List