Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis? Care for a bit of joint regeneration?

Arthritis? Care for a bit of joint regeneration?

SNIP "We believe we could boost these regulators to fully regenerate degenerated cartilage of an arthritic joint. If we can figure out what regulators we are missing compared with salamanders, we might even be able to add the missing components back and develop a way someday to regenerate part or all of an injured human limb," Kraus said. "We believe this is a fundamental mechanism of repair that could be applied to many tissues, not just cartilage."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191009142852.htm

Site Supporter
    My spine hopes they hurry.

Until then....

Name:  voltaren-sq-l.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  40.2 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Take my money! I need my neck fixed!!!

Roy, Voltaren was prescribed for me as well. It's been a blessing.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 10-10-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Speling

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    SNIP "We believe we could boost these regulators to fully regenerate degenerated cartilage of an arthritic joint. If we can figure out what regulators we are missing compared with salamanders, we might even be able to add the missing components back and develop a way someday to regenerate part or all of an injured human limb," Kraus said. "We believe this is a fundamental mechanism of repair that could be applied to many tissues, not just cartilage."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191009142852.htm

Wait a minute, wasn't this developed by Dr. Curt Connors (The Lizard) and he tried to destroy the world, only to be stopped by "The Amazing Spider-Man".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948470...nm_flmg_act_19

An interesting finding. Not sure it will go anywhere, it’s been a minute since vert dev bio, but my understanding is microRNAs don’t regulate small cycles like implied in the article. They, in fact, target many genes and regulate many gene families. This is why microRNAs are highly conserved evolutionarily (at least that is what is hypothesized). I’d be very careful in thinking that turning on or off microRNAs as “medicine” is going to be side-effect free. We’re talking about things that affect a lot of cell regulation processes. Knocking these things out in lab specimens definitely produces gnarly effects (disfigurement, death, etc).

The cell clock thing is pretty cool though. That alone could prove useful for knowing which cartilages etc can be more effectively rebuilt using other therapy methods.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Roy, Voltaren was prescribed for me as well. It's been a blessing.
    I don't know why it's not OTC, like in many other countries.

My buddy's wife has arthritis in her hands. She told me that stuff was a big help and gave me a dose to try on my neck. Made a noticeable improvement in just a few minutes. When I asked my doc for a prescription he squinted his eyes a bit, thought for a sec and said "that might just work".

If the problem is close to the skin, it's a great substitute for oral NSAIDs. Much lower body/liver load. Advil didn't do anything for me at all. This stuff doesn't do squat for my lower back, but my neck loves it.

FWIW.... You can order it on eBay from sellers in Thailand and elsewhere. Search "Difelene Gel" for the Thai version. Active ingredient is Diclofenac. Or get an Rx from your doc and just pay the pharmacy co-pay. Should be cheaper that way, but depends on your insurance. GoodRx has some coupons, but eBay can be cheaper if you don't mind the wait.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. This is just my opinion. Worth less than you paid for it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Regenerates cartilage at the small cost of giving you raging cancer due to the unchecked rapid growth of new cells.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

Low Level Laser Therapy has been great for my arthritic knee - we have an LLLT laser at home and I use it daily.
    (That and regular BJJ... "Motion is lotion")

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Low Level Laser Therapy has been great for my arthritic knee - we have an LLLT laser at home and I use it daily.
    (That and regular BJJ... "Motion is lotion")
    Thanks for the tip... will check it out..

My doc likes that term... I find it 1000% true.

Unfortunately, when I asked him if it would be ok to start Krav or BJJ he told me he'd quit me if I did. Something about bad necks and getting your head yanked.

User Tag List