Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19.5 to MOS, or not?

Glock 19.5 to MOS, or not?

I've finally decided to pick up a Glock 19.5. This is something I have wanted to do since they first came out but all the little issues convinced me to wait. When they came out with the 19.5 MOS, I thought they had finally gotten it right, but I don't have any plans to put a red dot on this gun, so I decided to wait further. Now that glock has finally fully updated the 19.5, and I'm ready to put my cash down, and I'm second guessing the MOS.

My main reason for not getting the MOS is this is going to be a carry gun, and I wanted the factory agent sights to match my 17.5 and on the MOS they hang off the back of the gun. I also have a 7 month old at home and the wifey is already talking about #2, so I won't have time or finances to fit in additional training to learn the dot. I also have an astigmatism that makes dots look like comets.

My reason for second guessing... it seems like dots are the future, so should I give my self the option to harmlessly try them out down the road?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    I've finally decided to pick up a Glock 19.5. This is something I have wanted to do since they first came out but all the little issues convinced me to wait. When they came out with the 19.5 MOS, I thought they had finally gotten it right, but I don't have any plans to put a red dot on this gun, so I decided to wait further. Now that glock has finally fully updated the 19.5, and I'm ready to put my cash down, and I'm second guessing the MOS.

My main reason for not getting the MOS is this is going to be a carry gun, and I wanted the factory agent sights to match my 17.5 and on the MOS they hang off the back of the gun. I also have a 7 month old at home and the wifey is already talking about #2, so I won't have time or finances to fit in additional training to learn the dot. I also have an astigmatism that makes dots look like comets.

My reason for second guessing... it seems like dots are the future, so should I give my self the option to harmlessly try them out down the road?
    Ameriglo has a version of the Agent sights for MOS guns. You just have to call them to order them from their custom shop.

Regarding sights; the Ameriglos are a factory option on the MOS guns. They’re available separately as well (GL-821).
    As far as learning the dot; the investment doesn’t have to be massive. There’s plenty that can be accomplished with a holosun and dry fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    I also have an astigmatism that makes dots look like comets
    Have you tried smaller MOA dots? 6 moa and up look like blobs to me. 1 and 2 moa dots look fine.

To address your concern regarding the sights, Ameriglo sells a variation of the Bold sights called the Trooper. They’re the width of the slide dovetail so they won’t hang over the edge of the slide on an MOS gun. Other than having to source a different set of sights, I don’t really see a reason not to buy the MOS version in your case. As you said, you aren’t set on mounting an RDS at all so you could run the gun with the cover plate mounted. If you buy a non MOS gun and decide to mount an RDS later, you’ll have to either source an MOS slide, buy an MOS gun, or pay to have your slide milled for an RDS mount, which limits you to a specific footprint.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    To address your concern regarding the sights, Ameriglo sells a variation of the Bold sights called the Trooper. They’re the width of the slide dovetail so they won’t hang over the edge of the slide on an MOS gun. Other than having to source a different set of sights, I don’t really see a reason not to buy the MOS version in your case. As you said, you aren’t set on mounting an RDS at all so you could run the gun with the cover plate mounted. If you buy a non MOS gun and decide to mount an RDS later, you’ll have to either source an MOS slide, buy an MOS gun, or pay to have your slide milled for an RDS mount, which limits you to a specific footprint.
    This is precisely what I did with a G45. I have RMRs direct milled on other pistols, but I haven’t trained enough with them to feel I want or need to switch over yet. I figured if I picked up the MOS version and install the Troopers I am keeping my options open with no real downside.
    Polite Professional

I bought both the 19.5 MOS, and the 19.5 pistols. I actually like the factory sights, but would replace them with the Ameriglo if needed at some later date. A tech at Glock told me plenty of people stick with the plastic sights, and they’d replace them if broken. I only bought the MOS because I thought the non-MOS grip cutout would be annoying, but that is not the case at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I bought both the 19.5 MOS, and the 19.5 pistols. I actually like the factory sights, but would replace them with the Ameriglo if needed at some later date. A tech at Glock told me plenty of people stick with the plastic sights, and they’d replace them if broken. I only bought the MOS because I thought the non-MOS grip cutout would be annoying, but that is not the case at all.
    Now both versions (MOS and non-MOS) lack the front-strap cutout.

The non MOS was purchased from Sportmans Guide last month, and it still had the cutout. I read that they were changing them over, but haven’t personally seen one without the cutout.

Thanks for all the feedback! Looks like a MOS will soon follow me home.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
    Have you tried smaller MOA dots? 6 moa and up look like blobs to me. 1 and 2 moa dots look fine.
    Most of my red dot experience involves a 2 moa aimpoint, almost no experience with a red dot on a pistol.

User Tag List