Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s&w K22 masterpiece

s&w K22 masterpiece

I am planning to acquire a k22 masterpiece
    With SN: K704*** what would be a fair price for it?
    All the actions and finish are ok. With some patina.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    This is going to be location-dependent.

Is it a K-22 or a Model 17 and if the latter, which variant?

Having said all that...... I've not seen a decent Model 17 sell for under $600 in a gun shop. I paid $625 four years or so ago for a 17-3 and I've not looked back.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Someone over on the S&W forum has had a K-22 shooter on there for $600 for awhile.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...piece-k22.html

Doesn't look like any of the knowledgeable inhabitants have jumped on it yet. If anything gets sold there in a day the price is right. If it sits then it isn't a great deal.

I don't know enough about that model to be any help here. I don't own one and never searched for one to buy.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-11-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    That one looks a little rough.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Is there an asking price or are you going to make an off the wall offer?

I am a bit concerned about "patina."

You can't have mine for $600. Or anything, really, it is Not For Sale, these are great guns.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I agree that $600 seems to be the floor for well-used but well cared for K22's, but condition and vintage is everything. Period-correct grips add to the price considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I agree that $600 seems to be the floor for well-used but well cared for K22's, but condition and vintage is everything. Period-correct grips add to the price considerably.
    Yes, condition and vintage.

In terms of vintage, the issue is whether you're talking pre-war, post-war, Outdoorsman, K22, Masterpiece, or Model 17. They're not the same, and manufacturing changes to each variant can change the price by orders of magnitude.

For condition, "some patina" is a red flag. Worn blue is one thing but the value drops considerably if the finish has started to turn a plum or brown color. Not long ago, I bought an 8 3/8" gun that was built right after WWII. That barrel length made up a tiny percentage of total production, so it should have cost 2-3x more than the $475 that I paid. But it was entirely brown, so I got it for a song.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

^^^ That would be a good candidate for a factory refinish. A true quality refinish doesnt suffer from the commonly seen issues of a poor job, like edges, lettering and markings getting dished.

I dont know what the current market is, but a K-22 (in whatever iteration one wished to choose, not to include non-forged hammers/triggers) would be at the top of my list if I lost mine somehow. I dont make the distinction of k-22 vs model 17 for practical shooting purposes. The factory had both designations on all the advertising, Shooters Bible, Gun Digest and other published advertising, and paperwork with the guns from the 50s to perhaps the mid 80s. I havent seen any past that point to be able to say.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-11-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

This is the gun i was about to buy

Name:  received_703146913499575.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  23.0 KBName:  received_392572091698130.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  19.9 KB
    Last edited by aven_md; 10-21-2019 at 05:32 AM.

The revolver appears to be a M18, the four-inch version of the K22 Masterpiece, circa 1966 (based on the serial number prefix). Based on the photos, the revolver has seen better days. While the damage may only be cosmetic, I suggest removing the grips and looking for rust and corrosion. I also would inspect the bore, charge holes, and action. I would use the cosmetic damage to negotiate on price, and I would pay no more than $500 -- and only if I really wanted it. It should sell for closer to $400.

User Tag List