Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff seen at the gun range

If the P in USPSA is to hold true to the meaning of "practical", then showing up and dealing with a difficult stage, seems to me to be highly practical. Especially one that challenges any particular physical disability you may possess. Being a pisser and "protest" shooting a stage, seems to me to be quite childish.

/dandelion post
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Of course there is always this one from 2015; video is entitled "Unplanned Targets".

Yikes.

http://concealednation.org/2015/03/v...rly-gets-shot/

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    If the P in USPSA is to hold true to the meaning of "practical", then showing up and dealing with a difficult stage, seems to me to be highly practical. Especially one that challenges any particular physical disability you may possess. Being a pisser and "protest" shooting a stage, seems to me to be quite childish.

/dandelion post
    True.

On the other hand, how would you deal with a shooter in a wheelchair?

Or a amputee who is shooting a stage with a prosthetic device?

I think the sport has to weigh these challenges against the physical abilities of the competitive shooting population and evolve accordingly. I don't see any issue in folks making comments to the MD after the match, so that the people running the match can consider and where it makes sense, adapt the stage design guidelines for next time. The time for suggestions is after the match, not during.

I agree with the ethos of completing "the shooting challenge" as laid out on the Stage in front of you. As long as everyone who shows up has the same shooting problem, that seems fair to me. At my level, I'm not exactly shooting to win the match, I'm just trying to be better than the guy I was last time. My goal is to be safe, not endanger anyone, have a fun experience, and maybe, get a little better at shooting under the stress of a Match.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    THIS... is a thread I'd love to see here:
    Guns, Gun Ranges, and Weed... what are your ranges doing about this combo?

Most of the ranges around here are private and I've never heard of people showing up high being an issue. I don't know but I would imagine that somebody wants to smoke and shoot they probably go up in the mountains to do that

I saw an FN FAL (7.62 NATO) at the range yesterday, first one I've ever seen. Watched a guy shoot it. Looked like the recoil was less than an AR-15.

I'm wondering why the US never adopted that rifle? I would have one of those before I had an M-14 or even an AR-10.

No bad actors at the range yesterday. Only 3 others there as the weather is getting colder.

I hate shooting with the general public so I avoid our Thursday open range day. They have an RSO and 4-5 safety officers. It's a damn zoo.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I saw an FN FAL (7.62 NATO) at the range yesterday, first one I've ever seen. Watched a guy shoot it. Looked like the recoil was less than an AR-15.

I'm wondering why the US never adopted that rifle? I would have one of those before I had an M-14 or even an AR-10.

No bad actors at the range yesterday. Only 3 others there as the weather is getting colder.

I hate shooting with the general public so I avoid our Thursday open range day. They have an RSO and 4-5 safety officers. It's a damn zoo.
    A FAL kicks just as much as you'd expect a 7.62/.308 rifle to kick, some of this can be mitigated by the newer muzzle brake designs out there (try shooting a SCAR).

The T48 was trialed by the US, there are quite a few pristine examples at Quantico. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T48_rifle

Given that I am not and have never been an operator, my preference is skewed by one-way-range use and comparing the FAL/M14/G3/AR10/SCAR, I'd give the edge to the AR10 and SCAR. YMMV.

And to keep on topic - at the range, while shooting my M1A, I have been told that we wouldn't have won WWII without the BAR - like the one I was shooting.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post

And to keep on topic - at the range, while shooting my M1A, I have been told that we wouldn't have won WWII without the BAR - like the one I was shooting.
    Long ago, I was told the AK-47 can shoot .308 in a pinch, but not vice-versa. I didn't know too much (still don't, but I knew even less then) but my first question was how do the longer rounds fit in the gun? Nobody knew, but their buddy's uncle was in Vietnam and he said it was so.

Site Supporter
    Having totally screwed up knees and a ruined shoulder, extreme contortions are not for me. I just take the penalty rather than risk a dangerous collapse. Personally, I don't see the need for unrealistic gymnastics on a stage. Does the average 3,3,3 gun fight (this is a sarcastic comment) ever take place in a tunnel? As said before, I compete against myself as I quite well know that my speed level precludes a win. I have won (I was the one - ha), two divisions lately. Show up as the only revolver guy or shoot SSP in a carbine match (long guns packed away). You come in first. If I do well in points down, I'm happy. I can come in with 3 points down in a carbine match (best points down) with my AR or 5 points down with a G17 in a similar match - I'm happy. I'm not running from place to place. Now, friends of mine can come in with similar points down and match faster. I praise them as we relax after match.

To HCM - was the brass fiend - some tall, albino, looking guy? He's known to be troublesome. I suggest that every brass picker be compelled to pick up as much aluminum casings as they do brass!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Having totally screwed up knees and a ruined shoulder, extreme contortions are not for me. I just take the penalty rather than risk a dangerous collapse. Personally, I don't see the need for unrealistic gymnastics on a stage. Does the average 3,3,3 gun fight (this is a sarcastic comment) ever take place in a tunnel? As said before, I compete against myself as I quite well know that my speed level precludes a win. I have won (I was the one - ha), two divisions lately. Show up as the only revolver guy or shoot SSP in a carbine match (long guns packed away). You come in first. If I do well in points down, I'm happy. I can come in with 3 points down in a carbine match (best points down) with my AR or 5 points down with a G17 in a similar match - I'm happy. I'm not running from place to place. Now, friends of mine can come in with similar points down and match faster. I praise them as we relax after match.

To HCM - was the brass fiend - some tall, albino, looking guy? He's known to be troublesome. I suggest that every brass picker be compelled to pick up as much aluminum casings as they do brass!
    No, tall stocky guy with a mustache. Not albino looking. I’ll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Long ago, I was told the AK-47 can shoot .308 in a pinch, but not vice-versa. I didn't know too much (still don't, but I knew even less then) but my first question was how do the longer rounds fit in the gun? Nobody knew, but their buddy's uncle was in Vietnam and he said it was so.
    This seems to be a Vietnam thing, although I have heard some post-Vietnam Cold War era vets puke it up. My father was combat engineer in Vietnam (9th ID) and told me about this fallacy when I was young.

User Tag List