Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Stuff seen at the gun range

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    One of the modern ranges in San Antonio that had 'bullet proof' glass between lanes. A hit, starred hit in the center of the glass, 90 degrees from down range!
    I once had to disarm a woman on the range for nearly doing that and almost shooting a little kid in the face. Arm up and elbow resting in her hand, limp-wristed letting the gun hang to the side 90 degrees while taking a short break, finger on trigger and looked like partial pressure applied. Probably one of the scariest moments on the range I've ever had.

Working as an RSO at an indoor range for just 1 year in an ultra-liberal city that's a tourist destination made me realize something. If you don't leave an indoor range mentally exhausted from hyper-awareness, you're just oblivious and lucky. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm paranoid but, I'd rather be exhausted than "lucky".

George, I assume you were talking about the Havasu range. I don’t recall if you were shooting IPSC there when the following happened. We were shooting the regular third Saturday ipsc match. We finish a stage and the squad moves to stage two. There is a group of folks shooting our targets and messing with the stage. I thought Otis was going to have a stroke.

Hence, the reason for all the signs about the range is closed when we have the match.

Another time I was shooting at an outdoor, pistol only range. This short guy, who didn’t speak English walks in holding a Winchester 94 by the barrel. He stands next to me and I inform him he can’t shoot his rifle. He smiles, shoulders the gun and fires. So he came in with a hot gun and blasts. It got everyone’s attention. He was trying to work the action and I politely removed the rifle and gently introduced him to the cement floor. Then the range folks took over.

Just two of many goofy stories on this subject.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I loved that place when I was a member. Those huge action bays were a freakin' wonderland.

Okie John
    Yep. It is an excellent facility in general. I try to avoid the general purpose range if possible.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Just think, if you are horrified by the bullet pocks in the floor, walls, and ceiling of an indoor range, those same bullets are going off at the same angles outdoors, too.
    I don't know how to feel safe from the hoi polloi unless you have private property to shoot on.
    Formal matches are generally closely monitored and it takes a whole cascade of faults for it to feel hazardous.

Me?
    I doubt the indoor ranges in this area are any better than yours. I just trust to the lane dividers.
    I have a couple of sparsely attended outdoor ranges. In good weather weekdays, I am very likely alone or at the far end from one or two others.

Anecdote Alert:
    We usually assume that those bullet pocks are due to novice or careless gun handling.
    Sometimes they are intentional. I once saw a guy on Lane 2 notice that somebody had left a target hanging about 10 yards out on Lane 4. He just swung 'round and let off a volley, blasting concrete dust off the side wall. Unfortunately, the staffer was on the other bay.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    @Clusterfrack brought this thread back during what I consider the best time of the year to avoid public ranges. I avoid public ranges (indoor or out) the week before and after Christmas especially the first couple of days after Christmas. There’s just too many new shooters with new guns and I can find something else to entertain myself.

The second best time of the year to avoid public ranges are rifle ranges the two weeks before deer season starts.

Some of the worst gun handling I’ve seen happens at ccw qualifying. I finally gave up. I now rent the complete range that one of the local ccw qualified instructors owns. I rent it for the day and do my ccw qual. Plus, I can then shoot and have a trusted friend or two come along for an enjoyable day. It ain’t cheap, but it is worth every penny.

Cheers, Steve

Yesterday, two guys roll up at the Havasu Range to the bay we are down range shooting in, pull their stuff out and set it on the benches behind us. I ask them what is up, and they say they are shooting. I explain not in our bay, and tell them not to be handling their gear behind us. They seem butt hurt. Oh well.

Today, I drive into the range and see someone I know, walking parallel to the firing line of the group bay, full of people, holding a pistol with an optic on it, slide locked open, hand shaking the pistol back and forth. I just kept driving.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @Clusterfrack brought this thread back during what I consider the best time of the year to avoid public ranges. I avoid public ranges (indoor or out) the week before and after Christmas especially the first couple of days after Christmas. There’s just too many new shooters with new guns and I can find something else to entertain myself.

The second best time of the year to avoid public ranges are rifle ranges the two weeks before deer season starts.
    It can be sketchy for a couple of weeks after Father's Day, too.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Less than 48 hours after having all the range tiles replaced and the two back steel rafters painted...

Pistol side:
    Name:  IMG_2671.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  77.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2673.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  75.2 KB

Rifle side:
    Name:  IMG_2674.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  86.9 KB
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I once had to disarm a woman on the range for nearly doing that and almost shooting a little kid in the face. Arm up and elbow resting in her hand, limp-wristed letting the gun hang to the side 90 degrees while taking a short break, finger on trigger and looked like partial pressure applied. Probably one of the scariest moments on the range I've ever had.

Working as an RSO at an indoor range for just 1 year in an ultra-liberal city that's a tourist destination made me realize something. If you don't leave an indoor range mentally exhausted from hyper-awareness, you're just oblivious and lucky. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm paranoid but, I'd rather be exhausted than "lucky".
    If you think that was fun, try a few days at a range that does "machinegun" rentals.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List