Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff seen at the gun range

I believe the FAL absolutely failed the arctic conditions tests in Alaska.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I believe the FAL absolutely failed the arctic conditions tests in Alaska.
    I don’t think so but what does it matter ? It is an obsolescent platform.

Given the outright fraud and criminal malfeasance Army ordnance engaged in to try and keep Springfield Armory open anything coming out of those tests is suspect at best.

This is also a cautionary tale about thread titles as the intent of the thread was “weird /bad behavior seen at the range” rather than “guns an AR hating boomer saw at the range”

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    8. Weird church group (nothing negative about church, just a weird group), polyester duds from Leave it to Beaver era. Uncle Mike's best. Lead by Pastor X who was going to show them how to shoot and run the squad, despite being new and full of crap. His guy has a semi with strobe and laser. He draws, the light falls off goes strobe and the laser comes on for a light show.

Picturing Disco Duck playing to that.

I took my concealed carry class, and I was the only one who had shot. He had me shoot first and no problem passing. I stood back and watched, and one classmate decided he wanted me to film him, with his smartphone (I don't have/use those things, so he had to run me through it). Then he proceeded to shoot, ignoring the lesson's learned, and tried to do head shots on the target. One shot that would be a haircut, and the rest in the ceiling. Shocks me how people want to pay money for information and not at least listen.

When I took shooting up after 20+ years of no (and little shooting before), I took a basic firearms class. Figured it would be a good thing and I had one suggestion after that class, because it didn't really cover range rules or etiquette.

Generally, I will probably be less likely to see some of this, because my weekend range time, is a Tuesday morning around 10:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is also a cautionary tale about thread titles as the intent of the thread was “weird /bad behavior seen at the range” rather than “guns an AR hating boomer saw at the range”
    Name:  0450_Emoji_LMAO_1000x1000_2_large.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  19.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Name:  0450_Emoji_LMAO_1000x1000_2_large.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  19.8 KB
    Name:  F981FD42-6500-4491-A038-1DF4E1003C31.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  43.8 KB

This might be cheating, since the range in question is also a gun store, and I wasn’t on the range, I was in the gun store... But anyway, I’m eyeballing the used handgun cases when J. Random Somebody in jeans and suspenders ambles up to me and suggests that I purchase the used S&W 2inch X frame in .454 Casull “if I want a real gun.” There’s the 2 inch barreled .454 Taurus Raging Bull in the next case, which, he informs me, “is the same gun.” I do nothing to encourage this behavior. He “has bears” he goes on, which apparently he wants me to believe means he’s engaged in combat with bears like every goddamned day even though we’re in CT, and has also tried the .50 AE Desert Eagle, which he finds equally unmanageable because he shoots one-handed. He’s clearly not Sasha Baron Cohen, but I’m looking for the cameras and not about to sing any songs he suggests. Apparently, it was just another guy and not a troll.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    This might be cheating, since the range in question is also a gun store, and I wasn’t on the range, I was in the gun store... But anyway, I’m eyeballing the used handgun cases when J. Random Somebody in jeans and suspenders ambles up to me and suggests that I purchase the used S&W 2inch X frame in .454 Casull “if I want a real gun.” There’s the 2 inch barreled .454 Taurus Raging Bull in the next case, which, he informs me, “is the same gun.” I do nothing to encourage this behavior. He “has bears” he goes on, which apparently he wants me to believe means he’s engaged in combat with bears like every goddamned day even though we’re in CT, and has also tried the .50 AE Desert Eagle, which he finds equally unmanageable because he shoots one-handed. He’s clearly not Sasha Baron Cohen, but I’m looking for the cameras and not about to sing any songs he suggests. Apparently, it was just another guy and not a troll.
    He probably has engaged in combat with bears every day, it’s just that they are hairy, chubby gay men not the bears you were thinking of.....

I was at a busy outdoor pistol range when a clueless a-hole showed up with 2 kids under the age of 5. The kids were bawling because a-hole dad was too cheap to spend a buck on ear plugs for them.

The RSO gave a-hole dad 2 boxes of foam plugs and appeared to chew him out.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Stuff seen at the gun range

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

The thing that I focused on the most is when he tripped and pointed that gun backwards. Which again leads to my general question you're falling down with a gun in your hand what do you do?

And the only thing that I could come up with that I would do is drop the gun immediately
    This is a great question, and one that everyone who shoots while not standing in one place should consider carefully.

How to fall with a gun is a good topic for another thread, but I’ll say a few things here.

Top priority is not shooting yourself or anyone else. This is much more important than hurting yourself by falling.

Many uspsa guns are not drop safe.

When you fall, hold onto the gun and keep it pointing in a safe direction until you are stable again. Make sure your finger is indexed out of the trigger guard!

There are a lot of ways to fall, so it’s worth slow-motion practicing falling safely with an unloaded or blue gun.

Some people are physically challenged and can’t fall without serious injuries. However, the gun still has to take top priority. This is what the Cooper Tunnel guy didn’t do. He was trying to save himself, and risked a bunch of peoples lives by losing control of his Open gun, which almost certainly was not drop safe.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Since this post is more in the nature of USPSA specific stuff, if preferred I can start a thread on Cooper Tunnels in the comp section, as I did a search and didn't find one.
    More discussion available here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....elated-Matters

User Tag List