Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff seen at the gun range

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I saw an FN FAL (7.62 NATO) at the range yesterday, first one I've ever seen. Watched a guy shoot it. Looked like the recoil was less than an AR-15.

I'm wondering why the US never adopted that rifle? I would have one of those before I had an M-14 or even an AR-10.
    A good understanding of the answer to that question can be found here: Random Shots: Episodes in the Life of a Weapons Developer

The author worked on both the M14 (T44)/FAL (T48) trials and the M60 programs at Springfield Armory (the actual one, not the Croation and Brazilian importer using the name). IMO, it should be required reading for anyone wanting to come into the small arms field, especially on the engineering side.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 10-12-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    A good understanding of the answer to that question can be found here: Random Shots: Episodes in the Life of a Weapons Developer

The author worked on both the M14 (T44)/FAL (T48) trials and the M60 programs at Springfield Armory (the actual one, not the Croation and Brazilian importer using the name). IMO, it should be required reading for anyone wanting to come into the small arms field, especially on the engineering side.
    Ordered!

Thanks for the recommendation and the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I also do the finger off the drill/spray bottle thing.
    As long as you don't unload and show clear every time...

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive never seen an indoor range that didnt have holes in the ceiling. I cant help but wonder what they do to keep the bullets from going all the way through the roof.

I've wondered that myself. Probably some type of polycarbonate panels that can be made to deflect bullets. I know they make that stuff for buildings.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

I've wondered that myself. Probably some type of polycarbonate panels that can be made to deflect bullets. I know they make that stuff for buildings.
    My local outdoor range has panels on the awning over the shooting line that they claim are bulletproof. Considering the value of the land this range sits on and it being smack dab in the middle of Fairfax Count, VA, I'm surprised they don't encapsulate the entire range with AR500 plate steel. There is a constant effort to close the range for various and sundry reasons in order to compel a sale.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    My local outdoor range has panels on the awning over the shooting line that they claim are bulletproof. Considering the value of the land this range sits on and it being smack dab in the middle of Fairfax Count, VA, I'm surprised they don't encapsulate the entire range with AR500 plate steel. There is a constant effort to close the range for various and sundry reasons in order to compel a sale.

Chris
    Our private range is surrounded by residential development. All of it came after the range was built in the 50's. Eventually the county or the neighbors will find a way to close it. We've already appeased them in so many ways it's ridiculous. The range doesn't open until 10 AM and closes at dusk because people need their quite times.

My question is why did you move next to a gun range for starters?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    All the land around the airport was taken up?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Does anybody else reflexively let stuff drop and pull their hands back?

I do this whenever I drop anything and I’m certain it comes from my internalized attitude to gun handling.

I also do the finger off the drill/spray bottle thing.

I index my finger on drills and once I tried to remove the battery pack from one by pushing the Forward/Reverse switch which was situated right were the magazine release is on most semiautomatics.

Yeah, those European battery catches are aggravating.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    He said it took a month to get that and then said look down the line, there was a star shaped pattern in the glass. Now that would have scared the crap out of me.
    This really made me stop and think. I'm not sure how I'd react to what amounts to someone shooting at me. I'm especially not sure what would happen if it occurred while I had a gun in my hand.

User Tag List