Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff seen at the gun range

I worked as an RO at an indoor range/store for 4 years while I was in college. It was mostly for tourists who would rent our store guns and shoot a box or two of ammo.

The stories I could tell...

Like the drunk guys who stopped in during a bachelor party and wanted to "bust some caps".

The Hell's Angels members who would come to practice.

The wannabe gangsters who would shoot sideways and miss their target at 7 yards. Had a few tell me "Hey Man you better check this gun, the sights are off".

Had a lady walk in the store one day, look around all wild eyed and tell me she was going to call the police to report our store because guns were illegal and we would all be arrested. LOL

The ND's into the ceiling, floor and walls. Ah the memories...

I'm so glad I shoot now at an outdoor range and go on weekday mornings when it's empty and I have to place to myself!

If want to be fearful for your life just go to a Pennsylvania Game Commission State Game Lands Range.

If you want to seriously contemplate poor life choices then RSO a range (indoor or outdoor).

If you want countless loaded unloaded firearms waved about and pointed at you, work in a gunshop.

If you want to know first hand that signs mean nothing, do any of the above.

I managed a gun range and store for a year and a half.

Oh, heavens. People point loaded guns at you, or their wife points a loaded gun at you and they get indignant when you spin her around by the shoulders.

Had a guy shoot his own shoe and skim his toe during an IDPA match... that's a DQ.

Military guys shooting your ceiling, walls, and booths, but also "they qualified as an infantry rifle expert" and "they don't need some civie telling them how to shoot."

Students in classes (all nurses, for some reason) getting... handsy.

Had one guy shoot the overhead cables on three lanes before he decided that, maybe, just maybe, he needed to sign up for an intro class.

Physically removing people from the store when they would decide to raise hell about their NICS denials.

Obvious straw purchases... denied and trespassed.

No, you cannot shoot your new Barrett on the pistol lanes.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Man View Post
    SNIP

The ND's into the ceiling, floor and walls. Ah the memories...

SNIP
    This.

When I tell people I will not ever work in or have anything to do with a range again I tell them to look for this on their next range visit.

From when I worked at an indoor range:

A lady and her male companion come it on a Friday night. She is wearing a nice evening gown with a plunging neck line he is in a shirt minus tie. She also has big boobs. As she and her dude are checking in I bring to her attention that given her attire and hot brass she needs to be 100% ready for what may happen.

At this point dude steps in.

"Are you talking about my wife's tits?"

Thankfully the booze on his breath made the rest of the conversation easy. Both were asked to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    This.

When I tell people I will not ever work in or have anything to do with a range again I tell them to look for this on their next range visit.
    Paying attention at the range is a great way to have a panic attack.

"Oh, what's that guy doing? Uncasing his... okay, that is a SCAR... yep, he inserted and mag... he has now run the charging handle five meters behind everyone... oh, he almost dropped it... okay, well, now we've all been flagged... oh, nice, he's ambivalent to verbal commands... and he almost dropped it again... oh, okay, I'm the asshole for grabbing you."

Also:

"Can you adjust my sights? My gun hits low-left."
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    At this point dude steps in.

"Are you talking about my wife's tits?"
    "Sir, we call those brasscatchers."

My local indoor range has a sign declaring “No rapid fire allowed”.

They have full-autos available to rent.

I genuinely haven’t cared enough to ask them about that blatant contradiction.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Big signs at my range that bullets must die in berm. CMP-style highpower range w/ retractable targets in the butts and firing lines at 200, 300, 500, and 600.

1. Nimrod sets up his fancy wildcat varmint rifle on the bench at 600 and puts a target between the 300 yard firing line and the road and proceeds to put a nice group directly into the target house beside the butts. Asked why he was shooting the shed, he says "no, I'm shooting the target". Asked where he thinks the bullet goes after the paper target, "I guess I never thought about that".

2. Guy shoots an AK in a three-gun comp on the action pistol range and it malfunctions. Goes to the 600 yard rifle range afterwards and fires a bunch of rounds in the general direction of the butts, failing to notice that a another shooter is downrange.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Student
    The Scottsdale Gun Club is a place I consider my home range. I see mostly good things there.

The other day though, I did see someone trying to practice from the holster with a brasscatcher in their strong hand. Talk about making things harder than they need to be.

User Tag List