Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 State of Red Dot Sight Duty Holsters

Red face 2019 State of Red Dot Sight Duty Holsters

Hello all! Our department finally gave the full go ahead to everyone for duty use of RDS’s on duty guns. Everyone is very excited and we have a lot of guys buying glock MOS’s, M&P COREs, and P320s. The problem we are finding is that safariland is slow as molasses with manufacturing holsters. We are getting quotes of 3-4 months right now.

Are there any other viable options out there for duty use for red dot sight guns?

So far we have looked at the Blackhawk Omnivore (not too impressed with the mount), Gould and Goodrich XCaliber (heard horror stories about guns getting stuck in it), and that’s really it. Not too impressed with the 5.11 thumb drive or the G-Code XST (or whatever it is).

The only other “standard” option I am aware of, is to get a custom holster company to build a “duty” holster with a BladeTech WRS Hood. There are a number of companies doing this, but I’m not sure if the WRS is good for duty use. I’ve seen a number of threads about the hood failing and am not too excited about it.

The very last option would be to buy older style SLS hooded holsters and cut the front out, making a pocket for the red dot sight to stick out. At least the retention would work and you know the mount is solid, even if it’s kinda ghetto.

Any thoughts? Does safariland really have the market this cornered??

Yes they do have the market this cornered, and aren’t the most responsive right now. I think once they fully spool up as popularity continues to increase the timeframe will improve. I have their SLS/ALS for my M&P 2.0 COREs and I like the holster, but they don’t offer compatibility with a WML pressure switch, and they’ve taken forever to come out with the STI version so I’m not optimistic about them releasing anything anytime soon that’s not already in their lineup. I hear the STI version should be out “soon”...

I would not modify a factory Safariland holster for duty use. Several of our guys have done it just to get a holster to practice with a PMO or to have something for competitions, but modifying a holster is a liability nightmare. You would be much better off having a holster made from a custom manufacturer, but that’s still not ideal. Big companies have warranties, test for retention, and are much more defensible if bad things like gun grabs happen.

Let’s hope some of the rumors I’m hearing are true and manufacturers are working on alternate options which will continue to drive the market forward.

Just wait on the Safariland holsters. They're bogged down on the M17 holsters and a bunch of other contracts right now.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    It's not just RDS holsters....Safariland is quoting a 3-4 month delay for everything right now. And as SoCalDep stated....they're not the most responsive to customer needs. But they're the only real game in town for what folks need.....they can afford to emulate 1990's HK, I guess.

I’m getting a holster from Kerber Arms for mY 229/507c. Saw one in the Rangemaster class this past weekend. It is made out of the same stuff Safariland uses for their holsters and not kydex. Used the SLS hood to make it a level 2. I’ll report back when I get it and try it out.

https://kerberarms.com/pages/contact...e#contact_form
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by gskip View Post
    Hello all! Our department finally gave the full go ahead to everyone for duty use of RDS’s on duty guns. Everyone is very excited and we have a lot of guys buying glock MOS’s, M&P COREs, and P320s. The problem we are finding is that safariland is slow as molasses with manufacturing holsters. We are getting quotes of 3-4 months right now.

Are there any other viable options out there for duty use for red dot sight guns?

So far we have looked at the Blackhawk Omnivore (not too impressed with the mount), Gould and Goodrich XCaliber (heard horror stories about guns getting stuck in it), and that’s really it. Not too impressed with the 5.11 thumb drive or the G-Code XST (or whatever it is).

The only other “standard” option I am aware of, is to get a custom holster company to build a “duty” holster with a BladeTech WRS Hood. There are a number of companies doing this, but I’m not sure if the WRS is good for duty use. I’ve seen a number of threads about the hood failing and am not too excited about it.

The very last option would be to buy older style SLS hooded holsters and cut the front out, making a pocket for the red dot sight to stick out. At least the retention would work and you know the mount is solid, even if it’s kinda ghetto.

Any thoughts? Does safariland really have the market this cornered??
    Looks like DSG Arms just got some in for the Glock.
    https://dsgarms.com/holsters-saf6360rds-832-411

Who would have thought that duty holsters would become a main roadblock to adoption of the PMO by LE. Things were a lot easier when HolsterOps, under the ownership of Bill Rogers, was in business. I have a 6384 RDS from years ago, that takes the various Glocks through 34, with or without a light and RMR/SRO/Acro/DP Pro. Would be good if they could redesign the trigger guard area to make it more resistant to outside stuff getting in there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Took almost 4 months and several phone calls to get my RDS from Safariland. Biggest complaint besides the wait is the inability to use a pressure switch on the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Took almost 4 months and several phone calls to get my RDS from Safariland. Biggest complaint besides the wait is the inability to use a pressure switch on the light.
    ^ word yo.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Who would have thought that duty holsters would become a main roadblock to adoption of the PMO by LE. Things were a lot easier when HolsterOps, under the ownership of Bill Rogers, was in business. I have a 6384 RDS from years ago, that takes the various Glocks through 34, with or without a light and RMR/SRO/Acro/DP Pro. Would be good if they could redesign the trigger guard area to make it more resistant to outside stuff getting in there.
    Holster Ops was awesome. I bought stuff from them all the time.

User Tag List