Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish Incursion into Syria

Site Supporter
    Lindsey Graham pranked into whatever hell he is saying:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ax-call-043991

Lindsey is very despicable. Reminds me of Baghdad Bob or Wormtongue from LoTR.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    We had the opportunity to give them their own country by carving a chunk out of Iraq.
    Iraq was/is a sovereign nation - I do not think "we" could redraw its borders.

Site Supporter
    Turkey is a NATO nation - should we fight a NATO ally that also is a host to a major US base that probably houses nuclear weapons?

Congress can declare war - let Congress declare war on "someone" in Syria or Turkey - let Congress explain what is the overriding National interest to stay in Syria, get into conflict with Turkey, Syria, etc. Congress will not take the lead on this - Congress will just use this as another excuse to snipe at Trump.

How long do we stay in Syria, etc.

If Europe has a better idea, let the EU or NATO deal with the issue for a change. Oh yeah, NATO does not have enough Combat Power to do anything as the US and Turkey are the two largest militaries in NATO now.

I hear a lot of emotion but not a lot of facts and reasoned arguments from the Media, Congress, Democrats, NeverTrumpers, etc.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    [QUOTE=ranger;941400I hear a lot of emotion but not a lot of facts and reasoned arguments from the Media, Congress, Democrats, NeverTrumpers, etc.[/QUOTE]
    I hear a lot of rationales for betraying an ally from the Trumpanzees.

The Kurds allied with us in the fight against Islamic terrorists. They suffered thousands killed in the fight.

It was the USA which persuaded the Kurds not to fortify themselves against the Turks. Then it was the USA which withdrew the Americans who shielded the Kurds from the Turks.

You can pretty it up all you wish, but the plain fact of the matter is that the United States has just signaled to the world that only fools and chumps would rely on American security guarantees. Israel has gotten the message.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I just want it to be really clear that, as far as we know, we didn't fold when Turkey moved overwhelming force to threaten small special forces units. This wasn't Trump making a hard choice not to fight a NATO ally.

We folded when a dictator that the President likes called him. That's it.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the experienced Kurdish fighters will bleed the dirtbag Turks like they richly deserve.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    We are not or should not be the worlds policeman. Enough of these little wars that really serve no purpose and is not in our national interest. I'm glad PRESIDENT Trump did this. Enough already. How long should we have kept our guys there? 18 years? Korea, Viet Nam, Grenada, Iraq, Afghanistan, when does it stop?
    When stopping policing the world doesn't carry a risk of 3,000 American citizens getting killed midday in the Manhattan.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    When stopping policing the world doesn't carry a risk of 3,000 American citizens getting killed midday in the Manhattan.
    YVK said it perfectly.

Site Supporter
    Few countries desire to have a militant group operating within its borders. Turkey views the Kurds as terrorists. Of course, that view does not justify genocide, though such is commonplace in that region. We used the K group when we needed them, and now we are faced with deciding how not to give them a giant camel screwing at the same time that we should not offend a NATO member and drive it into Russian arms. What I just wrote Trump has yet to figure out.

The grim reality is we have two choices- fight somewhere else, or fight at home. As 9/11 and Pearl Harbor before it shows, people will pick a fight with the US no matter our intentions.

This also means we are and will be in a continual state of war with somebody. Put more directly , “withdrawing” is not an option. We may not have boots on the ground in Turkey/Kurdistan, but we have them in thousands of other commands and battlegrounds. Most never make the news.

Insofar as keeping our word with allies goes, that ship sailed with the last boat out of Saigon decades ago.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List