Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Turkish Incursion into Syria

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Then they are free to take it or leave it. Let some other nation waste their resources refereeing a conflict between two ethnic groups that have spent the last few centuries attempting to eradicate each other.
    Yes, perhaps the Congress members who are bitching about this would like to donate a few of their offspring to be used as pawns and placeholders.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    This is really unbelievable. Today, Trump and Pence announced a “Cease Fire” had been reached, that gave the Turks their intended goal in full.

Which was “negotiated” on behalf of the former ally we just stabbed in the back. Who already have said they reject it.
    Yep, being played. They're going to kill as many Kurds as they can and maintain a working relationship with Trump. Trump says he negotiated a great deal but Turkey isn't finished with the Kurds. You can pretty much bet on that.

Still some real estate deals to be made in Turkey and plenty of investors there to facilitate that. Trump's business interests there are driving his foreign policy. Follow the money.

Mulvany just said it was a hijack. Damn. What a tool.

The rats are running for the nearest hawser.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-17-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/22/77238...led-by-the-u-s

The leaders of Russia and Turkey agreed Tuesday after more than five hours of talks on how to jointly patrol parts of Syria that until recently were controlled by Kurdish forces.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey signed a 10-point memorandum at the Black Sea resort of Sochi that is set to go into effect at midday Wednesday local time.

Under the deal, Russian military police and Syrian border guards will first facilitate the withdrawal of Syrian Kurdish forces from the Turkish border. Russians and Turks will then jointly patrol the area now occupied by the Turkish military. Russian military police and border guards from Syria will cross the over the Syrian side of the border with Turkey. At that point, the two forces will "facilitate the removal of YPG elements and their weapons," according to the memorandum.

The Kurdish YPG fighters, the key U.S. allies in the fight against ISIS, will have to retreat roughly 20 miles from the Turkish-declared security zone in Northern Syria. The pullback is expected to last about six days, the memorandum said. Once it's completed, Russia and Turkey will jointly patrol that zone.

So I got tired of reading all the comments regurgitating the same stuff the news has been saying. Here’s a few things no one has bothered to bring up. If I’m repeating someone my apologies.

The Kurds don’t have a homeland.

Everyone in the area hates the Kurds.

Turkey is in fact a member of NATO. They supported us during Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and the GWOT.

We have binding treaties with Turkey. Let that sink in for a minute before you casually toss out the work “ally.”

Erdogan came into power because the Turks supported us not only during the aforementioned wars, but also because they agreed to support us and our other allies in economic sanctions against Iraq, Iran, and Syria.

Turkey was promised preferential trade concessions by the EU that never happened.

We have personnel and bases in Turkey.

The presence of SF and similar teams in northern Syria was not going to deter the incursion of Turkish forces. Removing them from the area was prudent to protect American lives.

I lived in Turkey. I liked and respected the Turks I knew. This situation isn’t dokey Trump’s fault and it’s disingenuous to think so. This goes all the way back the Bush Senior at the least.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

The Kurds have been our ally in fighting ISIS. The US government, led by Donald J Trump, convinced the Kurds to withdraw from their defenses on the Turkish border with a promise we would assume responsibility for defending that border. This was intended to de-escalate tensions with Turkey and also free up more bodies to fight ISIS. The US government, led by Donald J Trump, then unilaterally, with no notice, and no consultation decided to immediately pull those tripwire troops from that border security mission. Even if you believe we should have withdrawn, a barest minimum of honor would have seen us give the Kurds enough time to re-man the border we committed to protect. We should flat out be ashamed of the way this was handled.

"Permanent" cease fire announced today. I'm pretty convinced we'll never hear the whole story on this. There is no way the mainstream media will give Trump credit for anything. On the flip side, there is no way Trump or his people are going to admit they fucked up. Either way, it's starting to look like just another day in the Middle East.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    "Permanent" cease fire announced today. I'm pretty convinced we'll never hear the whole story on this. There is no way the mainstream media will give Trump credit for anything. On the flip side, there is no way Trump or his people are going to admit they fucked up. Either way, it's starting to look like just another day in the Middle East.
    Here's a big ass problem with witch hunts against a specific President - we miss the big moves that would have sucked for *any* standing President regardless of who it is. This wasn't a move against President Trump, love him or hate him, this was a move against the US as a whole.

I wish I could say more, but I can say that we've been VERY busy here evaluating all the options, and the current situation in Iraq has made things a lot more interesting than any of us wanted.

But Al-Jazeera's middle east coverage has been pretty good, noticeably better than US-based coverage. Use a VPN to put your PoP anywhere in the Middle East and read those stories in English. Beats the hell out of the coverage from US companies, or US-based coverage of other international companies.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Here's a big ass problem with witch hunts against a specific President - we miss the big moves that would have sucked for *any* standing President regardless of who it is. This wasn't a move against President Trump, love him or hate him, this was a move against the US as a whole.

I wish I could say more, but I can say that we've been VERY busy here evaluating all the options, and the current situation in Iraq has made things a lot more interesting than any of us wanted.

But Al-Jazeera's middle east coverage has been pretty good, noticeably better than US-based coverage. Use a VPN to put your PoP anywhere in the Middle East and read those stories in English. Beats the hell out of the coverage from US companies, or US-based coverage of other international companies.
    QFT.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The ME situation has always been complicated and confusing. The following article tries to explain a few things:https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/24...dba39-81168121. Sure, it's from a particular point of view, but it contains good info nonetheless.

And to add to the confusion.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The ME situation has always been complicated and confusing. The following article tries to explain a few things:https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/24...dba39-81168121. Sure, it's from a particular point of view, but it contains good info nonetheless.

And to add to the confusion.
    The #4 point in that Federalist article is particularly accurate and germane.

It's worth noting that the Chicago Tribune article is from 2016... and not a lot of that has changed.

User Tag List