Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warning to hunter friends here - make sure the game is dead before approaching.

Lightbulb A warning to hunter friends here - make sure the game is dead before approaching.

https://kdvr.com/2019/10/24/arkansas...ot-and-killed/
    YELLVILLE, Ark. — An experienced Arkansas hunter was found severely injured in the woods Tuesday night, his body riddled with antler puncture wounds. He later died.

The 66-year-old man from Yellville, Arkansas, had shot a deer and made plans with his nephew to field-dress the deer’s body together, police said.

When his nephew found him, the seriously injured man was alert and talking, and was even able to call his wife.

But he stopped breathing by the time paramedics could get him to the hospital, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said.

Site Supporter
    It happens that “not dead yet” deer kick the crap out of/gore hunters occasionally. First fatality I’ve heard of from that, but it’s very plausible.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Yep,

An Elk almost got my dad that way. He purchased a BAR after that episode.

CWM11B
    Anchoring shots. They exist for cause. Just saying...

Related-

Good folk have been killed by bad folk they already killed who just hadn’t died yet.

Or however Clint smith says it
    Last edited by Duke; 10-24-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Related-

Good folk have been killed by bad folk they already killed who just hadn’t died yet.

Or however Clint smith says it
    Pyhrric victory.

There might be something to that old saying, that once you find it, you should sit down and watch it, for half an hour or so, before approaching.

I grew up in PA, I remember a specific time a lady was jogging on a path in Gettysburg. She was gored to death by a buck during rut. Deer would always smash into windows inside schools and businesses. Deer have no fear of humans in PA. I remember my dog walked right up to a doe and they were sniffing each other and just hanging out.

Deer in TN run for their life.

What a way to go. Sad news.

We approach the nose of the animal staying clear of the feet, pointed in on the head and ready to shoot until we can poke the eyeball with the barrel and make sure it does not blink.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 10-24-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Ever since I was as tall as a rifle I was taught to approach at an angle that they could not get up and nail me, then poke them in the eyeball with the muzzle. If they blink, pull the trigger. It has always worked for me.

User Tag List