Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish Incursion into Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    S. Korea had a nuke program but we pressured them and shut it down. The Japanese Constitution forbids such but times are changing. They are building up their first aircraft carriers with F-35s. They are originally helicopter carriers (wink, wink) but a size that allowed conversion. They supposedly have from their reactors enough plutonium for many nukes (wink, wink) and could field a weapon in 6 months. Abe wants to explicitly change their constitution to allow continued build up.

So my point is that with American alliances meaning nothing under Trump - I would max out my country's capabilities.
    Oh I agree 100%, I just wasn't sure what the situation was on the peninsula in terms of weapon capability, thanks for the added info.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Turkey Holds 50 U.S. Nukes Hostage At Air Base according to Fox News.

Will Trump be more concerned by this or the prospect of Trump Towers Instanbul getting nationalized?
    The latter. To quote an epic film. "All other considerations rescinded."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Oh I agree 100%, I just wasn't sure what the situation was on the peninsula in terms of weapon capability, thanks for the added info.
    No problem. There are plans for conventional subs that have substantial cruise missile capability. Sweden would sell such. Japan builds what are called the best conventional subs in the world. They have their own versions of most conventional missiles. I could see them having a sea based nuke cruise capacity in a very short time. They certainly have the home grown rockets for IRBMs, ICBMs. They are debating their own stealth fighter. They make a marine patrol plane that looks as good as the P-8s. The warrior spirit is not dead.

One stupid thing was that way back they wanted to (along with the Australians and Israelis) to buy F-22s. We didn't sell them as we wanted to keep them secret. Those sales might have lowered the price so our own order wouldn't have been cut so short (700 to 200). So now we sell F-35s to everyone - including the despicable Turks being involved in their construction. Now the purchase of S-400s from Russia, killed that (although Trump and Lindsey G - his special friend complained about that).

Make Russia your special friend now or tool up for your own defense. We are out of the game as a dependable ally.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Turkey Holds 50 U.S. Nukes Hostage At Air Base according to Fox News.

Will Trump be more concerned by this or the prospect of Trump Towers Instanbul getting nationalized?
    That air base and those nukes are going to become a serious problem for the US. If Turkey decides to close that base and keep those nules there isn't a lot the US can do about it. They just gave the middle finger to the US and now the US wants to sanction Turkey. That should work out real well. Turkey will probably close that base to the US and keep those nukes.

What is the US going to do about it, place some tariffs on the country and refuse to sell them anymore weapons. I think they're already buying weapons from Russia anyway.

https://youtu.be/g5NBauXrXyw

Trump's plan is to let the Russians control the middle east. That should be obvious to everyone by now.

So yeah, his real estate interests are probably a yuge consideration here. I'm not seeing how it could be anything else. Just about everything he does regarding foreign policy goes against the advice of people who understand the situation far better then he.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-16-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Turkey already discounted the sanctions (which are fairly trivial). https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ctions/600055/

Most countries have not had behavior changed by sanctions. The only clear case might have been South Africa but that was correlated with a societal and cultural realization about apartheid.

Oil and steel sanctions against Japan helped get us Pearl Harbor.

Do we care if Russia makes the Middle East into vassal states? If you worry about Israel, perhaps, if not?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Turkey already discounted the sanctions (which are fairly trivial). https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ctions/600055/

Most countries have not had behavior changed by sanctions. The only clear case might have been South Africa but that was correlated with a societal and cultural realization about apartheid.

Oil and steel sanctions against Japan helped get us Pearl Harbor.

Do we care if Russia makes the Middle East into vassal states? If you worry about Israel, perhaps, if not?
    one concern is that Russia makes much of the oil and gas production of the world a part of its influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That air base and those nukes are going to become a serious problem for the US. If Turkey decides to close that base and keep those nules there isn't a lot the US can do about it. They just gave the middle finger to the US and now the US wants to sanction Turkey. That should work out real well. Turkey will probably close that base to the US and keep those nukes.

What is the US going to do about it, place some tariffs on the country and refuse to sell them anymore weapons. I think they're already buying weapons from Russia anyway.

https://youtu.be/g5NBauXrXyw

Trump's plan is to let the Russians control the middle east. That should be obvious to everyone by now.

So yeah, his real estate interests are probably a yuge consideration here. I'm not seeing how it could be anything else. Just about everything he does regarding foreign policy goes against the advice of people who understand the situation far better then he.

Let them keep the nukes.In fact, lets give Erdogan an extra hundred or so. If youre gonna forment regional chaos , dont half-ass it.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Let them keep the nukes.In fact, lets give Erdogan an extra hundred or so. If youre gonna forment regional chaos , dont half-ass it.
    Good point.

A nuke was certainly a deciding factor to reset the balance of power in 1945. Maybe that happens in the ME. Almost happened in the 6 day war with Israel and Egypt. Egypt came pretty close to being nuked. Nobody talks about that much these days.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Wow

I hope to f*ck this isn’t real.

Name:  383014B6-0FC8-4764-8C83-5C1256F510E1.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  25.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I hope to f*ck this isn’t real.

Name:  383014B6-0FC8-4764-8C83-5C1256F510E1.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  25.5 KB
    Can’t be. Trump delivers his national policy info through Twitter, not White House letterhead.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List