Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish Incursion into Syria

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Turkish Incursion into Syria

From BBC News:

Turkey has boosted its forces on the Syrian border ahead of a long-threatened incursion that could target Kurdish-led forces allied to the US.

Troops would cross into Syria "shortly", a presidential aide said.

Turkey wants to create a "safe zone" cleared of a Kurdish militia that will also house some of Turkey's 3.6 million Syrian refugees.

President Donald Trump has withdrawn US troops in the area in a controversial move condemned at home and abroad.

He again defended his move on Tuesday, saying the Kurds had not been abandoned, calling them "special".

Convoys of trucks with armoured personnel carriers and tanks were seen heading to the Turkish border town of Akcakale on Tuesday night. Images of buses carrying personnel were shown by state news agency Anadolu.

Turkey is planning to create a 32km (20-mile) deep "safe zone" running for 480km along the Syrian side of the border.

The Kurdish-led administration in the region announced "three days of general mobilisation in northern and eastern Syria", calling on civilians to "head to the border with Turkey to fulfil their duty".

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Washington was sending mixed signals and Kurds feared the confusion could "ignite the whole region".

Russia's security council said it was "important for everyone to avoid any action that could create obstacles to a peaceful settlement in Syria".

In a series of tweets, Mr Trump also praised Turkey as a trade partner and Nato ally, hours after saying he would "destroy and obliterate" its economy if the country went "off limits" in its incursion.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

So in 100 years do you think the Turkish government will pretend that the Kurdish genocide didn't happen the same way they do with the Armenian genocide?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    So in 100 years do you think the Turkish government will pretend that the Kurdish genocide didn't happen the same way they do with the Armenian genocide?
    If they're still around, yes. Old Hambo proverb: Never trust a Russian, and the Turks are not our allies.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

What a marriage of convenience the poor kurds were for the US...

Read some reports ISIS has taken advantage of the situation and begun attacking SDF positions in Raqqa

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    According to BBC News, Turkey has begun air strikes in north eastern Syria ahead of the troop move.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

This is really bumming me out. I don’t know any Kurds and have never had a connection to them but to me it seems they have been our only true allies in that neck of the woods for the last almost 2 decades. I have made it no secret I am not a fan of our current President. But leave that out of it I just find this terrible. It doesn’t seem to matter if you help America we will just turn our back on you when someone else can offer us more or you are no longer of benefit to us. I see no reason why any nation or ethnic group should ever help us again. I am praying and near weeping for the Kurds today.

So what's new? The Kurds got sold out by the US. Their homeland is divided by Syria, Iraq, Iran and Turkey. Everyone of those countries have tried to keep them from establishing a Kurdish state separate from the countries that govern the region they live in. Their problems first came to national attention when Saddam Hussein started dropping nerve gas on their villages. They've been a useful tool for the US in that region ever since because they've been fighting for their homeland against enemies of the US (real or perceived). ISIS is real.

The problem this time is Turkey wants them out. They've caused a lot of problems for the Turks just as Syria has.

Trump is a nationalist. Wars in that region doesn't concern him. He would just as soon let Syria, Turkey, Iran or Iraq control that region. Matters not to him even if they get support from Russia to do it. So far Russia has armed Iran and Syria. Looks like Russia is ahead at halftime. His plan to help Russia anyway he can.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-09-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

This one sits heavy in the pit of my stomach. I fear that this will create further hatred for America by people who we turned our backs on.

In the past (1970s-early 80s at least) some covert military aid has gone to the Kurds in the various regions via Israel.
    It would not surprise me if this were the case once more, or even one of the gulf states stepped into the breach. They are no friends of Turkey.

The Kurds in general are tough cookies and pragmatic.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List