Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Carry Gun with a "Low Round Count"

I've had duplicate guns before and still do. It seemed logical to me to have a fresh gun as a carry gun and a specific gun for practice. Until I realized that even though I have them set up the same way they are still different enough whether it be trigger feel or poi that I abandoned that idea and just use my pistols. I like carrying the gun I sweat on and cut my hands on and whatever else happened while shooting it.

I just do my 1,000 round break in with no cleaning or re-lubing. Springs are changed regularly and I clean my guns every time I shoot them and inspect them for any odd signs of wearing or part breakage. Overall I just feel more confident with the guns I shoot the most.

Site Supporter
    @10mmfanboy - FWIW, the biggest difference between my carry gun and my training gun is that the training gun has a nicer trigger due to all the additional rounds.

@revchuck38 LOL exactly! Maybe I'm just picky or something idk but everything feels slightly different to me. Even the mag release feels stiffer and I flub it once in a while even though I'm doing everything the same. Most pistols these days will likely outlast me anyways. If it's my day to die because I am using a high round count gun then it's probably just my day to die.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    @revchuck38 LOL exactly! Maybe I'm just picky or something idk but everything feels slightly different to me. Even the mag release feels stiffer and I flub it once in a while even though I'm doing everything the same. Most pistols these days will likely outlast me anyways. If it's my day to die because I am using a high round count gun then it's probably just my day to die.
    I've carried, competed, and practiced with the same G19 for five years. Doesn't bother me a bit. I just recently changed the lower to a MR918 lower, but used all the old G-19 parts. I'm now treating it the same. I have a few pistols in my safe, but they are rarely shot. I'm the worst guy ever for gun companies, I rarely buy guns at all. The ammo companies love me, though.

Whatever gun I'm carrying is my most shot gun. I have vetted guns as backup.

I might carry any one (or two) of my handguns at any time or day as I try to stay proficient/familiar with any of them.

I tend to carry my Glocks, however, and in the last few years, sold off some of my inventory and no longer have duplicate models. These weren't completely identical as I had Gen3, Gen4, and Gen5 Glocks of various models.

Here are my most commonly carried Glocks as of today, all are 9mm if you're not familiar with the models:

G26Gen3: 15,900 rounds
    G19Gen5: 18,600 rounds
    G17Gen5: 14,270 rounds

Right or wrong, today I carried three different handguns (not at the same time) as I went out three times:
    Glock 26 Gen3 (9mm)(15,900 as already stated above)
    SIG P226R (9mm)(15,400 rounds)
    Glock 30SF (.45ACP)(12,200 rounds)

I also had a shotgun or an AR15 pistol in the automobiles depending on what I was driving each time I went out today.
    I don't consider myself "paranoid"; I just feel both comfortable and "ready".

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Why not treat it like a service weapon? For example, you could do something like we feds did and shoot it quarterly for a minimum of say, 50 or 60 rounds.

That wouldn't be taxing on the firearm and would give you an idea if anything needed addressing.
    This is pretty much what I do. My Glocks run steel ammo fine, so i have a practice copy of my carry pistol.

My carry pistol will go through a box of 50 of Federal HST 147gr ~every couple of months.

In fact, I do the same thing with my home defense AR and range AR..

Competition gun/practice gun - p-0-9 - 15k+ (need another back up comp gun)
    Carry gun p-07 - 3,600-3,700. Only shoot at training classes or occasional range day. Will be replacing some springs at 5k.
    Pocket carry g43 - 1060~ Have always meant to buy another 43 for back up.

To me, under 5-7k is still low(er) round count but more than vetted.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Without boring you with the details I have 2 19's and 2 17's, all Gen 3 and in various configurations. They all get shot and carried roughly equally, as the mood hits me. The oldest one, a 19 that's mostly stock, has probably north of 12,000 rounds. Even if they all had that much, that's still not a whole lot so I don't see the need to favor one over the other.

I can see where someone would think that, like a car, every time you use it you get just a smidge closer to wearing something out to the point of failure. But for me, the more I shoot it without failures, the more confident I am in it. Just my 2 pesos.

Hit the range today

I went to the range today with my primary EDC, the HK P2000 9mm pistol. I have vetted this pistol and feel confident in its function and my accuracy with it. I shot a total of 66 rounds of HST 147 grain JHP. I can carry the 13 round magazine here. So it was 5 magazines plus the chambered round. Function was one hundred percent.

Up next was my parkerized Dan Wesson A2. I shot 199 rounds of Winchester 230 grain fmj. Again one hundred percent function. This pistol is new with a total of 549 rounds through it. The Winchester fmj ammo has been used almost exclusively, but 100 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230 jhp has successfully been sent down range too. I will try some HST 230 grain jhp at some time in the near future.

User Tag List