Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keltec P17

I feel like they should price it $50 higher and pay someone to do an hours worth of QC.

Site Supporter
    Dang. They might actually get me to buy another KelTec.

Buying a Kel-Tec is a bit like dating a stripper. You know that she's unreliable and full of plastic, but she sure does look good.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I've been pleased with my RDB, and considering how none of the other makes can figure out how to make a compact .22LR pistol that holds more than 10 rounds, I'll be buying one of these, too.

Site Supporter
    $199.99 MSRP means a street price well under $200. I Depending on how it shoots and the final price, I could be tempted to buy one as a beater. Apparently it has a threaded barrel, but it also appears it will need some sort of adapter. Not crazy about that...

An RDS capability would be nice too.

Chris

Interesting
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter

I’m a Keltec fan. My first pistol was a P-11, my first AR-mag 5.56 gun was a PLR-16, & I often pack my Sub2000 when I travel. I’m wanting to like this gun, but after seeing if compared to the new Taurus, I’d go with the Taurus.

I love .22 rifles and pistols and have enough that some rarely come out of the safe. I even have conversion kit setups for pistols I do not shoot in the centerfire round, such as an Advantage Arms conversion with factory Glock night sights for a Springfield XDM (which BTW is extremely reliable). I tried the USFA ZIP 22. I have more than a dozen Ruger Standard-pattern pistols, everything from 1951 RST-6 to Volquartsen Scorpions to Clark Custom bullseye guns. I shoot .22 every week. So I am a pretty easy sell for .22 pistols. Enough that the LGS sets "interesting rimfires" aside for me.

My concern with Kel-Tec .22 handgun designs, besides the reliability, is the durability of the all-plastic magazines. That goes back to the old twelve-round Ramline magazines for the Ruger Standard and Mark II. Needless to say, those magazines fed until the feed lips wore a bit from passing lead and brass. Then the magazines would release the top round due to the spring pushing the round through the compromised feed lips. Being plastic, the feed lips are not really amenable to squeezing like a steel magazine. So they are scrap. I have also seen the same issue with some of the Advantage Arms conversion kit magazines, but those magazines typically go several (>5) thousand rounds before the issue occurs. At $25 per magazine, the cost of a few replacements is palatable.

There are ways around that, and Kel-Tec appears to have gone with a more abrasion resistant plastic -- at the cost of being more brittle. I much would have preferred a steel insert for the feed lips as that method is well proven (see the Ruger rotary magazine for the 10/22 as well as Glock magazines). I almost bought a CP33 as the idea of having a .22 LR being able to shoot three Ruger Standard magazines full of ammo before needing a reload while providing impromptu match accuracy is very, very appealing. But I could not get past the all-plastic magazines, especially at $50 each and being difficult to load.

The number of soft primer strikes and failures to eject in the TFB video is extremely disheartening. I believe the reviewer used too much lube, as rimfire pistols need very little to function and too much can create weak primer strikes and a nasty carbon/brass/lead slurry that causes issues. But that pistol was no fun to shoot. Scary that a Taurus did better. The construction of the P17 was disappointing compared to the Ruger Wrangler, which is the champion of the low-cost .22 plinker.
    Last edited by farscott; 10-25-2019 at 05:11 AM.

User Tag List