Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Mustang/Sig P238/Springfield 911/Kimber Micro - And their 9mm brethren

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I had a P938 SAS. Beautifully made little gun; it's what got me looking at other Sigs. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a firing grip without my thumb knuckle being in line with the lower left corner of the slide, with a troubling amount of overlap. Weirdly, the LCP didn't have that issue, but did have a whole bunch of other issues. The G43/48 grip setup doesn't seem to have the slide bite issue, either. For any mission where a P938 would work, I'd certainly check a G43/Gadget/grip mods as an alternative.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Happy with my P365. Trigger pull is smooth, but longer than a 1911. 10+1 9mm with flush mag. Manual safety version available.

I have a Colt New Agent that Ned Christiansen worked over, including adding "real" sights, and it's run 100%. But it might be a bit too large for you. Defender is similar sized, but with sights. It does have a 1911 trigger, so would be pretty seamless switching from your full-size 1911. 8+1. No rail.

Also have a Kahr PM9 that's several years old. It's somewhat finicky about new recoil springs, but once they're clipped off a bit, it runs well to. You either love or hate the long DA-like trigger pull (makes the P365 trigger feel like a short pull). Very smooth, and very much unlike a 1911 trigger. Like a longer version of the P365 pull. 6+1, IIRC; haven't shot it in a good while. No manual safety.

I have heavily shot and carried and almost bought a twin to a buddy’s Mustang Nightlite, a variant of the pocketlite with checkering, an improved thumb safety, and night sights built by somebody in the early 90s. Crazy shooty and the easiest pocket carry I’ve experienced. I do not own one because I would carry it, and carrying a 380 is fucking stupid.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I had a p238, and carried it sometimes back when I was into 1911s. It was reliable with:
    -some fiddling with the magazine feed lips
    -the right recoil spring weight
    -replacement of the recoil spring at least every 500 rounds.

So, basically like a 1911.

It shot really well, and I even once won a bowling pin match with it to the great annoyance of every one else there.

But, it was less reliable, heavier, and not significantly better than a LCP 1.2
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

SIG 238 and 938 have decent sights, but tiny 1911 controls fucking suck. In micro pistols it's hard to beat a G43 or LCP.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The purpose of this gun - shoulder holster carry for in the car, to toss on for late night dog walks, and pocket carry when I need to pocket carry (not very often).
    As I recall, you are a fan of Kahr pistols. I used to have a Solo shoulder rig from Sam Andrews that carried mine superbly. A CCC VersaClip holster fully covers my CW9, is ambidextrous, and easily clips IWB. This doesn't help with pocket carry or the WML. Have you messed with the S-series with rail?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    SIG 238 and 938 have decent sights, but tiny 1911 controls fucking suck. In micro pistols it's hard to beat a G43 or LCP.
    A million times this.

Just so you guys know - Cylinder and Slide makes an extended thumb safety - that is WAY better. https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/Coltsft

It fits Colts and Sigs for sure, including the 938. Will probably fit the Kimber and Springfield versions, since they are all Colt Mustang clones.

Pic stolen from Sig Forum - here is the C&S Safety installed on a 938. I wouldn't run the Hogue grips with this, because they would cut down on the purchase you get to thumb safety up, but with VZs it should work fine.

Name:  9c6b9cbfbc2b39de10250babb5e6a04c.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  20.1 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-12-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Have you considered the XDE? It can be carried condition 1. I don't have a 938 to compare it to but I would think they have to be pretty close in size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Have you considered the XDE? It can be carried condition 1. I don't have a 938 to compare it to but I would think they have to be pretty close in size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    According to Springfield the 9mm 911 and the XDE are quite a bit different in size. The 9mm 911 is .85" shorter in length, 1.1" shorter in height, and almost 10-ounces lighter than the 3.3" XDE.

The reason to go with the micro guns here is that I carry a 1911/2011 and the Mustang and Clones are miniaturized 1911 ergos, but bearing in mind they are not mini-1911s under the hood, which is what seems to make them run better than most mini 1911s (e.g., Officer and Defender sized guns).

User Tag List