Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt Mustang/Sig P238/Springfield 911/Kimber Micro - And their 9mm brethren

I've had and seen so many problems with the Sigs such as extreme extractor clocking, slide stops falling out of guns etc that I would not trust the Sigs. The Colts don't have enough sights. Kimber? Lets not even open that sack of pooh. My 238 went 3 for 3 on trips to NH for service before being completely replaced.

Springfield would probably be the only hope i that class and even then I'd be skeptical.

I have 3 of the older Colt Mustang variants and TBH I'd rather carry a LCP2 or a G42.

If it has to be a 9mm I'd probably take a Shield or G43, or a PM9 before anny if these little SAOs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Before this thread I didn't know the SA 911 existed. Totally missed the memo.

Found this and enjoyed it for Leatham's commentary, irrespective of this model. His comments about how flat sided pistols are better than curvey gripped pistols is best part. Ironic given what many call ergonomic about a lot of pistol grips.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8ZNQcSbmE
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Before this thread I didn't know the SA 911 existed. Totally missed the memo.

Found this and enjoyed it for Leatham's commentary, irrespective of this model. His comments about how flat sided pistols are better than curvey gripped pistols is best part. Ironic given what many call ergonomic about a lot of pistol grips.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8ZNQcSbmE
    The 911 is intriguing in this realm, due to weight (~15 ounces loaded), the sights (Ameriglo Pros), and a flat-wire recoil spring. All of those make it the best option in this category. The thing I don't like though is the pop-up loaded chamber indicator. But if it's anything like an XD, it can be removed by driving a pin out.

RE: flat guns - I think he's right about flat pistols shooting mo' better. Look at folks who have run HK P30s/HK45s and yet find themselves moving back to the USP or the HK45C with the flat sides. This is one reason I like Kahrs too, generally flat shape.

In general our first inclination is to think round things are better shapes for human hands to hold onto, yet look at the round things we use - golf clubs, baseball bats, etc. yet think about how those things are used, they rotate in the hand and spin/move. Now contrast that with things we swing, but want to hold onto, like a hockey stick or a tennis racket, those things are oblong with flat sides. The sharper corners tend to dig in the hand and resist rotation. When we're shooting handguns, we want the gun to stay "locked in" as opposed to rotate.

When we look at historic weapons and tools, generally flat sides along the palm and rounded around the front. Sword handles, axe handles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    I've had and seen so many problems with the Sigs such as extreme extractor clocking, slide stops falling out of guns etc that I would not trust the Sigs. The Colts don't have enough sights. Kimber? Lets not even open that sack of pooh. My 238 went 3 for 3 on trips to NH for service before being completely replaced.

Springfield would probably be the only hope i that class and even then I'd be skeptical.

I have 3 of the older Colt Mustang variants and TBH I'd rather carry a LCP2 or a G42.

If it has to be a 9mm I'd probably take a Shield or G43, or a PM9 before anny if these little SAOs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback on the Sigs. I will continue to default to snub , which is why I'm not really looking at the other little .380s. The idea here is a sub-compact piece with the same set of controls as my belt guns.

I'm kind of thinking of taking a flier on the Springfield - Cost wise it's a little more than the Sig, but less than the Colt XSP, and it weighs less than the Sig. Plus the best sights in class. My three concerns are reliability, fitting an extended C&S safety (which as long as it's a proper Mustang-clone should be fairly easy), and the sharp edges that were noted earlier. I've got stones and files to dull edges. If it doesn't work right, we'll see if Springfield can fix it, but so far all reports and reviews seem to indicate the Springfields are pretty reliable.

Playing with / vetting a 238 currently, I like the small size, I have 20oz HD version, zero recoil. Testing a 7 round with magguts extension. Easy to shoot 9 rounds with one hand fast. I like the 238 more than the Springfields. May get a second with aluminum frame!

Site Supporter
    I’ve been shooting and carrying a P938 for around four years now with 100% reliability. I did have the common problem with the two-piece guide rod coming apart but once I added a bit of loctite I never had that problem again. I use it as a deep concealment piece and where it shines is the shootability. It has great sights and is reliable. The grips and checking absolutely lock the gun in your hand. Extremely flat and conceals well. Fits in a pocket. That said, I feel most guns are too heavy for a pocket and would get a holster for it. And if im going to wear it on a belt then I prefer a larger gun. It does shine as a ankle carry. The quality and feature set make it worth the price. Hasn’t malfunctioned a single time. The controls are small but work; you guys disparaging them would not like it either if they put full-sized controls on a micro gun. Overall, it’s a great micro-1911. If you’re a 1911 guy looking for a deep-concealment piece, it’s for you. If you’re a Glock guy, I’d recommend the 43. If you’re strictly DA/SA, maybe the XDE.

I'm a 1911 guy, and I have been very happy with a Sig 938 for my '1911 pocket gun'. I've got about 750 rounds through it without a malfunction. Feeds defensive ammo fine. I shoot it MUCH better than the small polymer guns. After reading this thread, I think I'll try the extended safety from
    C&S, but its not mandatory. These guns are small...there is no free lunch. Pick what features are important to you and train around the problems. YMMV.

Best,

Will

User Tag List