Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Mustang/Sig P238/Springfield 911/Kimber Micro - And their 9mm brethren

Colt Mustang/Sig P238/Springfield 911/Kimber Micro - And their 9mm brethren

If you have one/had one chime in -

Reliability?
    Carryability?
    Shootability?

The purpose of this gun - shoulder holster carry for in the car, to toss on for late night dog walks, and pocket carry when I need to pocket carry (not very often).

Currently leaning towards the Sig P938 version, because of the bigger sights and not needing to add another caliber to the stable, Crimson Trace has a lightguard for the Sig to add a WML. The alternative I'm thinking the Colt XSP with the dovetailed sights and light rail, and adding Novak sights, along with a compact WML, which would be slightly smaller, but need another caliber. Other advantage of the XSP - it's ~3-4 ounces lighter than the metal guns.

I'm not sure there is much shootability difference, between the .380 and 9mm guns, since the .380s are shrunk slightly to the 9mm guns.

Site Supporter
    Shot the Springfield version in 9mm.

I don't even get very high on the grips of most guns, but it cut my hands up and drew blood quite quickly. If the Sig is at all similar I'd recommend against it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I had a Mustang Pocketlite for 4 or 5 years--one of the new ones, not the original. It was extremely reliable with all ammo I tried. I would call it very shootable, apart from the terrible sights. As you note, there are other versions of the Mustang that don't have that problem. The gun is slightly heavy and fat for what it is--again, the polymer frame version might help with this--but I still found it amazingly concealable. All things considered, I'd say it was a first rate gun for those days when you can't carry a real gun. (Putting a WML on the Mustang strikes me as contrary its purpose, but then your purposes aren't really any of my business.)

Wife carries a P238. She has little person sized hands and it fits her well. So far it’s been reliable and accurate with everything we’ve put through it, including Speer Gold Dots and Hornady Critical Defense. It’s actually a lot of fun to shoot and she shoots it much better than her LCP. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

I have the P938, and my and I each have a P238. 100% reliable, great accuracy, and carry very well. My preference is the P938, but only because of its cartridge size. They carry great, and the P938 was my EDC for two years.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have some trigger time on the P238 and P938. Both ran great. The P238 is a heck of a lot of fun.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    (Putting a WML on the Mustang strikes me as contrary its purpose, but then your purposes aren't really any of my business.)
    You are not necessarily wrong, with respect to using it for deep concealment purposes. When it would serve as a walk the dog late at night gun, it’s one of the few times a WML might prove useful. Trying to handle a dog, a flashlight, and a gun isn’t ideal. Similarly when traveling sometimes we stop for the night in places where I might not be able to recon, when we have the dog. I still carry a handheld, but a WML would add a bit more versatility.

When carried as a driving gun, it would be a backup, primarily, to a full size 1911. But I do not carry a 1911 with a WML attached.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I have the P938, and my and I each have a P238. 100% reliable, great accuracy, and carry very well. My preference is the P938, but only because of its cartridge size. They carry great, and the P938 was my EDC for two years.
    Frank - any noticeable difference in concealment - any pocket carry experience to compare the two?

@RevolverRob
    No difference to speak of. I mostly pocket carry a pistol that small, with a Nemesis holster. I do have a kydex IWB holster for the P238, but it’s just so small. I have all types of holsters for the P238/P938, but they get pocket carried. Same with my P365. I wear regular dress slacks, and it’s never a problem.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you have one/had one chime in -

Reliability?
    Carryability?
    Shootability?
    All observations based on a sample of 1 P938 that I don't own but I see shot a fair amount. I think for it's size it is pretty shootable.

Given its size it is pretty concealable although I do not pocket carry or carry in shoulder holsters.

Issues I have seen:

The guide rod backed out and fell on the shooting bench. Lock-tite seemed to fix that issue.

The fiber optic fell out of the TFO front sight a few times but was replaced by our local dealer.

I person can't turn off the safety without pinching the crap out of my skin on the opposite side.

Lastly the side stop had kept backing out of the gun and locking it up. After a few trips to Sign with no really fix dimpling a spot for the spring to catch in seems to have worked.

Edited to add: the light guard pushes you middle and ring fingers slightly lower on the grip which can be an issue if you have bigger fingers.
    Last edited by wmu12071; 10-08-2019 at 07:11 PM.

I was impressed with the Springfield EMP. It is 0.7" longer and 1" taller than the Springfield 911, but is 9+1 vs 6+1 and significantly more shootable. It is the only small 1911 9mm* that I've been able to run through 100+ rounds of rapid fire drills with range ammo without hiccups. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't appear rated for +P.

I still prefer my P365, but if I had to have a 1911-style pistol for deep concealment it would be an EMP.

*The other small 1911 9mms I've tested were a jam-o-matic Kimber Micro and a Sig P938 that broke its guide rod (it still functioned, but it felt funny). If I got a P938, I'd spring for the aftermarket 1 piece stainless guide rod.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.

User Tag List