View Poll Results: Do you carry a pistol mounted RDS or do you carry with only irons?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol mounted RDS

105 44.87%
  • Iron sights

129 55.13%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: RDS or Irons on your edc

Poll: RDS or Irons on your edc

Curious to see who is using rds and who is still using what Defoor calls "cowboy sights"

Feel free to share the pistol and why the optic/iron choice below.

Both.

I have had a ton of problems out of my optics though. Experimented with shooting target focus with irons and can honestly say, most of the “benefits” of a RDS arent so pronounced once you shoot target focused with irons and become proficient at it.

I dont really shoot competition so its not a big thing either way for me. My awareness, shooting skills, and tactics are going to be much more of a deciding factor in what I train for than my sighting system.

Depends on what day of the week in my “carry rotation….”

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Depends on what day of the week in my “carry rotation….”
    Kilt in the streetz

Half of my pistols have red dot sights and half are without. My EDC has iron sights. I think red dot sights make sense on a duty or competition pistol. I'm not yet convinced they are needed or worth it for an EDC pistol. Good poll. Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Kilt in the streetz
    I have to match the color of the RDS reticle to my socks… and on days I’m wearing black socks then it’s irons!

Hopefully someday they’ll have blue reticles so I can buy some blue socks.

Irons, P2000 Sk v1.

At this current time, the dot life has failed repeatedly. The black swan, outlier events seem to happen when I really needed them not to.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I'm sticking with irons. I'm 71, and while my PX4/Holosun 507 combo is somewhat easier to shoot accurately, the difference isn't enough to justify the expense or the extra time at the range to overcome almost 50 years' worth of habit. I've bought a few AIWB holsters but will probably stay with IWB for the same reason.

Site Supporter
    I am always going to carry a pistol with irons about half the time because adding an optic to a pocket-carried pistol would create too much bulk in my pocket, and because it is likely to be quite some time before any pocket holster makers start making pocket holsters which accommodate optics.

I am just starting to use red dots. I can already see how the dot is forcing me to improve my presentations from the holster and providing more feedback during a trigger squeeze. At some point, I am likely to switch to a red dot (most likely a Trijicon RM07) for IWB carry.

I'm sticking with irons. At this point in my life, I don't like change. I could but it's just I don't want to. Right now, it's just a couple of drills every other week to maintain my skills to a level that I feel comfortable with. If I went to an RDS, first I'm gonna have to source a gun that is optics capable, then buy an optic and then retrain myself out of 40 years of muscle memory.

My son has a P365xl with RDS that I shoot sometimes. I find myself searching for the dot, when I find it, its easy and I understand why the "dot"

User Tag List