Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida Sheriff pulls Adams Arms ARs from duty

Five years is a log time for a duty AR/M4. I wonder what their maintenance and inspection program is like?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter

Florida Sheriff pulls Adams Arms ARs from duty

I saw this article on another website and shared it on my Facebook. It listed the initial purchase price at $881/rifle for the initial 18 rifle order in 2014. That’s not even the best part. If the article is representing the situation is accurate, it doesn’t look like there’s the most robust procurement process at PCSO. I’m hoping there was some testing and whatnot too, not just “Let’s but these” and out goes the PO.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinell...turing-issues/

“The Adams Arms purchases didn’t go through a competitive bid process, the standard practice in government for purchases over a designated threshold where an agency solicits proposals from potential vendors and ranks them against each other.

[snip]

Instead, Gualtieri relied on a memo from a training deputy that cited internet research.

“It came to me," the sheriff said. “It had been evaluated. It had been vetted.”

[snip again]

In February 2014, then-Deputy Matthew Seymour wrote a memo recommending Adams Arms. Seymour said the Adams Arms rifle was almost identical to the Rock River gun but featured an operating system that made it “a cleaner, cooler and more reliable running weapon.”

He compared Adams Arms to nine other brands, including giants such as Bushmaster and Ruger. In his comparison, he cited the manufacturer’s websites, online gun forums and Wikipedia.
    Purchase order by way of Arfcom Industry Forums and Wikipedia . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 10-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

For nearly 30 years we have been strongly advising agencies to only purchase weapons systems (firearms, magazines, ammunition, optics, suppressors, other accessories) only from vendors with successful large contracts (typically USG), extensive properly done lab testing (typically USG), and a long track record of actual field use (typically LE and/or mil).
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I saw this article on another website and shared it on my Facebook. It listed the initial purchase price at $881/rifle for the initial 18 rifle order in 2014. That’s not even the best part. If the article is representing the situation is accurate, it doesn’t look like there’s the most robust procurement process at PCSO. I’m hoping there was some testing and whatnot too, not just “Let’s but these” and out goes the PO.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinell...turing-issues/

Purchase order by way of Arfcom Industry Forums and Wikipedia . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So PCSO (the Sheriff) is gonna pin a deputy as the fall-guy, huh?

Do a lightly-researched white paper and you're apparently solely responsible for the rest of the T&E process as well as the PP&P of an agency-wide equipment acquisition?

Do a white paper a half decade ago, with no widespread issues (apparently) for five years until the new owners of the company have taken over... and then the Sheriff throws your name in a press release?

This reeks of brass covering brass ass for either connections to the old owners and/or failure to maintain appropriate T&E and acquisitions protocols.
    Last edited by JRV; 10-08-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    When I worked behind a gun counter we used to joke about providing a fix for the Adams/Osprey/other hobby-tier piston guns/conversion kits that had questionable reliability.

It would consist of a DI BCG, and gas tube. We were going to call it the Direct Impingement Conversion Kit (or D.I.C.K.).

Your rifle length piston gun isn't working? You need a 12" D.I.C.K.

Carbine-length Osprey kit giving you problems? 7" D.I.C.K will take care of that for you.

Needless to say, the shop owner wasn't on board with the counter monkeys offering this "solution" to his customers.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Florida Sheriff pulls Adams Arms ARs from duty

No surprise to me. In my time as an RSO I have seen two AR piston guns self destruct - they were both Adams Arms. One was a factory upper, the other was a conversion it Dot.Commie owner installed himself, so I realize that there is a lot of room for user error, but I still have zero faith in what appears to be a hobby level design.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 10-08-2019 at 01:56 PM.

No one saw that coming..

Site Supporter
    A local ISD dept received crap AR rifles because a dude in the purchasing office selected the vendor and the brand. Once in my area a newly appointed person was moved to director of the special op guys. She selected all firearms without input. This method is not uncommon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    This reeks of brass covering brass ass for either connections to the old owners and/or failure to maintain appropriate T&E and acquisitions protocols.
    Definitely not just an LE thing . . . seen it happen all over corporate america.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Forget the guns. I'm still trying to figure out how somebody spent six figures without a bid and didn't do time.

As for the quality of rifles. When I moved here a nearby SO bought Glock .40s, which were having problems in other agencies, and Bushmaster rifles. Only the best...
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List