Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 84% of Women Failing Army Combat Fitness Test

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Did you read the full article? The author elaborates that:

the real killer for women is the “leg tuck” portion of the ACFT, in which you assume a pull-up position and bring your hips and knees up to your elbows and back down as many times as possible in two minutes.
    women are failing the leg tuck test by 72%

I don't see the practical use in bringing your knees to your elbows while hanging from a rod...
    It appears to test almost all of the same muscles that a soldier would use to climb up a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    According to Stars and Stripes, the new test is broken into three categories for minimum passing standards. Back office troops have the easiest time, then troops that are expected to have a certain physicality to their work like MPs are in the middle, and the toughest standards are for combat arms MOS. I don't know exactly what the standards are though, because I got a good score on the ASVAB and joined the Air Force.
    Well, MPs are rearguard during a retreat so I don't understand the logic of allowing them to be less fit than infantry.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. View Post
    Well, MPs are rearguard during a retreat so I don't understand the logic of allowing them to be less fit than infantry.
    I was an MP in the guard. Some stuff we did was pretty "combat arms". I mean, we could PMCS the hell outta trucks, got pretty good at mopping floors, and could even watch powerpoint for hours. The truly excellent could conplete online drivers safety training in under an hour.

We did so some convoy work in the desert too. And trained a lot of buddy carry and react to contact. But that's probably less important to the Army.

As far as PT tests go... MP units have been female integtated for awhile. Mostly because it helps doing body searches without pissing off host nations (I think). I've seen female PT studs. I've also seen male chronic PT failures. On the whole, I would say the females I was with in 2 different units mostly passed because their standards wete a joke. And a fair portion still failed. I believe if you can do the job, you're good. But seems that the number of females who can do it is less than the number of males. I think that is okay.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 10-07-2019 at 08:36 PM.

ACFT

I read the article. The author is a dipshit. The ACFT isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. If the stats are accurate I'm not surprised. Nonathletic females and fatass males will struggle...good. You've got a whole year to unass yourself and figure out how to do a leg tuck or 5.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by David C. View Post
    (Army) MPs traditionally fall under combat support. S-shop guys and just about every else are service support, and everyone has already talked about combat arms.

There was a really good discussion in the law enforcement section about physical fitness tests and marksmanship qualification in terms of meeting a standard relevant to what the job requires versus getting a certain number of recruits to pass and continue on.

There is also a brief recollection of Mark Rippetoe having a discussion with one of his military friends where certain weightlifting exercises carried over to something the friend did during an engagement.

Still 16% more women passing the Combat Fitness Test than Incels.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    (Army) MPs traditionally fall under combat support. S-shop guys and just about every else are service support, and everyone has already talked about combat arms.

There was a really good discussion in the law enforcement section about physical fitness tests and marksmanship qualification in terms of meeting a standard relevant to what the job requires versus getting a certain number of recruits to pass and continue on.

There is also a brief recollection of Mark Rippetoe having a discussion with one of his military friends where certain weightlifting exercises carried over to something the friend did during an engagement.
    I think deadlifts and farmer's walks will always be relevant both in terms of total body strength, grip strength, and endurance.

Personally, I think chins or pullups are an important test. Upper body pushing without upper body pulls doesn't make much sense, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Some minimums are way too easy IMO. Not sure I'd want a Soldier on my team who can only dead lift 200 3 times or run their 2 mile in 18 minutes. That individual is a liability and I wouldn't be confident they could carry their shit to the OBJ much less execute at a high level once we got there.

That author is a joke. Want to get rid of sexism in the military? Make it all male. There, I said it.

At least go back to all male combat arms.

Shit like this is why I don't keep up with military stuff much any more. At this pace we'll still likely have the largest, most expensive Army in the world in a few years. It'll just be made up of a bunch of woke weaklings who can't fight.

Can't pull your f'n knees up hanging from a freakin' pull up bar a few times? You're gone. The military, especially combat arms, is not for everybody.

"Women are being set up to fail"... GFY

Supposedly congress dictated a gender neutral test. I haven’t seen that in writing but what I was told by the current CSM of the Army in a group setting. The issue is they’re going to end up with a very watered down test.

There are three different sets of standards. But even that has been manipulated. A 12B and 12Z is technically the same MOS. The difference is you become a 12Z when you make E8. 12Z is in the moderate (minimum) standard. 12B is in the heavy (max) standard.

Last I knew one Soldier Army wide had maxed the test with a perfect score.

The goal is to change the fitness culture of the Army. They developed a test to change culture. I think they went about it backwards but no one asked me. I’ve never seen anyone use a training circular to crank out a bunch of bad asses.

I don’t know what the pass fail rate is in the Marine Corp but they have the culture side of it figured out. They have proved that it doesn’t take a complicated equipment intensive test to make people want to be strong and athletic.

The ACFT is pretty equipment intensive. The equipment is going to cost a lot of money. The equipment is a sole source contract. The manufacturer is way behind. Did I mention it was really expensive?

A big chunk of the force still has the wrong color support gear. It could take as long as 10 years to get everyone, including guard and reserve, the correct gear.

They’re supposedly considering changing the dress uniform, again, and putting everyone in pinks and greens.

Sig won the XM17 contract reportedly because it was a lot less expensive than the other finalist.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List