Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Improving the J-frame trigger

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What I did for my J-frame (37-2 with bobbed hammer and hammer-mounted firing pin) is to leave the hammer spring alone, install a slightly lighter trigger spring, and use a bit of light grease on the contact surfaces inside. I detail-strip and clean the 37-2 once a year.

Compared directly with my LCR, the trigger is just as smooth, but a bit heavier. I shoot both equally well with regards to the mechanics. The sights on the LCR make it easier to shoot though. Trigger reset with the lighter spring is still faster than I can run the little gun (go too light and you can outrun your reset). It'll pop any primer.

Chris
    There’s a LOT I really like about the LCR. I just wish someone made a proper set of G10 boot grips for it. Not this 3 finger or 2.5 finger grip stuff. I front pocket carry at least 5 days a week thanks to work being an NPE.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I was indeed which is why I’m totally digging running the GMMWCs.
    You lucky SOB. Mine shoots 148gr wadcutters about 2 inches to the right at 10 yards.

Want to trade revolvers? Mine is regularly shot by hands that once shook hands with Hulk Hogan. That adds a real premium.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    You lucky SOB. Mine shoots 148gr wadcutters about 2 inches to the right at 10 yards.

Want to trade revolvers? Mine is regularly shot by hands that once shook hands with Hulk Hogan. That adds a real premium.
    Nah, I’m good. I’ll take an inch high and dead center at 10 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    There’s a LOT I really like about the LCR. I just wish someone made a proper set of G10 boot grips for it. Not this 3 finger or 2.5 finger grip stuff. I front pocket carry at least 5 days a week thanks to work being an NPE.
    I do think this is an interesting side note, because after shooting and carrying both pretty extensively, I think the best way to fix the trigger on a j-frame is sell it to someone else and buy an LCR.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I do think this is an interesting side note, because after shooting and carrying both pretty extensively, I think the best way to fix the trigger on a j-frame is sell it to someone else and buy an LCR.
    Same here. The sights are another point of improvement. I bought one of those Big Dot J-frame sights that have you grinding the front sight to a little nub in order to glue the new sight on. I probably won't install it now that I have the LCR. Shame they're so homely though.

Chris

Same here. The sights are another point of improvement. I bought one of those Big Dot J-frame sights that have you grinding the front sight to a little nub in order to glue the new sight on. I probably won't install it now that I have the LCR. Shame they're so homely though.

Chris
    When I go to sleep at night I pray to the revolver gods that Ruger will make a DAO 3 inch LCR. I'll take it in .38 but .327 would be cool too.

Site Supporter
    When I go to sleep at night I pray to the revolver gods that Ruger will make a DAO 3 inch LCR. I'll take it in .38 but .327 would be cool too.
    Yup. I have avoided the siren song of the 327, but I have a beautiful brass MP Moulds 32cal mould that drops 120gr FP solids and 115gr HPs. I bought it for my 32SWL and 32-20, but it's perfect for 327 (which didn't exist when I bought the mould). A 3" 327 with those bullet loaded to 327 specs and a pocket-full of lite 32SWL loads would be a good "kit" gun load-out for camping/hunting and could pull double duty as a CCW gun in town.

I hope I didn't just talk myself into another LCR should they become available in the 3" DAO 327 you describe.

Chris

Yup. I have avoided the siren song of the 327, but I have a beautiful brass MP Moulds 32cal mould that drops 120gr FP solids and 115gr HPs. I bought it for my 32SWL and 32-20, but it's perfect for 327 (which didn't exist when I bought the mould). A 3" 327 with those bullet loaded to 327 specs and a pocket-full of lite 32SWL loads would be a good "kit" gun load-out for camping/hunting and could pull double duty as a CCW gun in town.

I hope I didn't just talk myself into another LCR should they become available in the 3" DAO 327 you describe.

Chris
    I don't know if they'll ever make it though; 3 inch snubbies are already a pretty niche item, and 3 inch DAO snubbies are so niche as to almost not exist as a factory option. Add the extra weirdness of a .32 to that...and I won't hold my breath about that ever happening. But a boy can hope. The 2 inch LCR in .327 is pretty tempting, but I've managed to resist. They do make a 3 inch SP101 in .327, but it has fixed sights.

Y'all need Jesus.

LCRs look like the southbound end of a northbound bulldog on day three of a weeklong chili cleanse.

Sure, J-frames have heavier triggers as a general rule, and, sure, the best you can do without machining the sights off is paint them. But, they're svelte and they have seemingly-infinite grip options.

Have you seen an LCR? Woof.

Yeah, it has a great trigger, but at what cost? Dignity?
    Last edited by JRV; 10-09-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    I don't know if they'll ever make it though; 3 inch snubbies are already a pretty niche item, and 3 inch DAO snubbies are so niche as to almost not exist as a factory option. Add the extra weirdness of a .32 to that...and I won't hold my breath about that ever happening. But a boy can hope. The 2 inch LCR in .327 is pretty tempting, but I've managed to resist. They do make a 3 inch SP101 in .327, but it has fixed sights.
    I dunno. Ruger tends to listen to their customers and has released a number of funky revolvers in the past.

Chris

User Tag List