Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving the J-frame trigger

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    You have not a clue about fighting with a revolver. Some of us did this stuff off the range, for keeps. You remind me of a virgin telling a 6th street B-girl about sex.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Alright, since we're going to do the appeal to authority route, please let me know what your professional and training resume is. Since you're hiding behind an anonymous screen name, your authority and experience is irrellevant unless validated.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Alright, since we're going to do the appeal to authority route, please let me know what your professional and training resume is. Since you're hiding behind an anonymous screen name, your authority and experience is irrellevant unless validated.
    Anonymous? You might be a little slow, but my username is my first initial, last name, Jetfire. Cop going on my 27th year, currently a patrol sergeant in a suburban SF Bay Area small, unique municipality, previously worked for a 900 deputy Sheriff's department. Formerly a K9 handler, K9 evaluator, SWAT guy, firearms instructor, rifle instructor, all CA POST certified, multiple Magpul Dynamics, Yavapai Firearms, International Tactical Training Seminars classes. Multiple Vickers Tactical classes to include handgun, rifle and CQB/shoothouse instructor classes. Bennie Cooley 3 day Urban Rifle Instructor, multiple EAG Pat Rogers classes to include carbine and shoothouse classes. I'm a court certified expert on assault weapons, a B92 armorer, Glock Armorer, AR 15 armorer and Sniper Rifle Gunsmith, allegedly, that's what the certificate says, anyways. I am the most decorated member of my Department, based primarily on one incident where I won the "Thanks for not shooting somebody with a knife whom you probably should have shot," award. Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein gave me plaques for that one and I am embarrassed, so I keep them in a drawer. I have never shot anyone, but I have used firearms to make arrests, to include hitting suspects with guns, where your stupid thumbs forward grip does not work when you can smell what the guy you are fighting with had for lunch. I have been sued in Fed Court for a civil rights violation related to excessive force. I have been shot at in the line of duty. I have used deadly force in the line of duty and been unsuccessful at killing the SOB who was trying to kill me, but I won the fight in the end, even if a little worse for wear. I have been trying to shoot a suspect and had my Glock fail to fire, due to it being pressed against his head and the disconnector working as designed. I am a recognized use of force and case law expert; I am quoted in a Terry Search legal tome regarding criminal behavior and thought processes.

My first issue firearm was a Ruger Speed-Six and I shot about 30k rounds through it in 18 months because I was a bachelor and all my spare money went to bullets, bourbon and practicing speed reloading from my custom Tex Shoemaker 3 speedloader, black, basketweave pouch and dryfire from my Ted Blocker holster for 2-3 hours per night.

I've pointed guns at people for real and managed to survive.

A defensive firearm's most important quality, the one above all others, is that it goes bang when you want a bang. Shootability, no matter how desireable, is a far second when it comes to a defensive firearm. A j-frame, by definition, is not a "go looking for a fight" gun. It is a "Holy shit, this guy is robbing me." kind of gun where you must make an emergency draw that will likely be imperfect and make a shot that will be contact or within 7 yards, at speed, while you are off-balance, startled and most likely in low light conditions. The gun MUST go bang, or you are fucked.

I'll take your advice about competition, but stay in your lane, dude.
    Last edited by paherne; 10-07-2019 at 11:29 PM.

where your stupid thumbs forward grip does not work
    All of that text and yet your real reason for disliking me is buried in the middle. Have a blessed day (or night, it's hard to keep track of what time it is back in the States).

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    All of that text and yet your real reason for disliking me is buried in the middle. Have a blessed day (or night, it's hard to keep track of what time it is back in the States).
    Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, either. Good luck to you, you'll need it.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, either. Good luck to you, you'll need it.
    It's hard to reply to your posts when you go back and edit entire paragraphs into them after I already replied, dude.

But to that point: I would never advise someone to modify a gun so that it wasn't reliable with their carry ammo. That's dumb as hell. However, if someone modifies their gun so that it's 100% reliable with say, Federal Gold Medal Match wadcutters but won't crack an S&B primer, that's only an issue if they intend on shooting S&B ammo. If all they're ever going to stick in a gun is Federal Gold Medal Match, and the gun's 100% with those, whether or not it can shoot Winchester White Box, CCI, or whatnot is immaterial.

Now if we're talking about a duty gun that has to eat whatever ammo an agency provides? I definitely wouldn't change the ignition system on that.

O/P on the newer MIM S&W guns there isn't really much "trigger job" to a trigger job anymore. All that is required is some judicial polishing of the engagement surfaces. If you take a stone and actually remove material the parts will in all likelihood be ruined because the hardened surface is very shallow. The other side of this coin is that MIM hammers and triggers don't need more than a polish normally.

The rebound slide is where a "kitchen table gunsmith" can actually do some good, it's pretty hard to 'eff them up. A fine india stone and some Flitz won't really hurt them unless you are really trying. NOTE: This is on the rebound slide only. Don't stone anything else! Polish = yes, stone = NO.

The main issue with the internal hammer airweights is the internal hammer is small and has little mass. It has to have a stout main spring for ignition. The rebound spring can be lightened, but it HAS TO be able to overcome the main spring. On the bigger framed "full hammer" guns you can get away with lightening up the rebound spring quite a bit in a lot of cases. Much less so with the little internal hammer airweights. If you get sluggish trigger return after lightening up the rebound, go straight back to stock springs everywhere to maintain that spring weight relationship.

If I were sending it out, I'd probably be sending it to Apex as they are able to do things that seem almost impossible with the S&W DA mechanism. They will be able to get it to run with their kit in it if anyone can. You may have some hammer drag going on that you can't see in the 442/642 and that you would see with other models with an exposed hammer. They'll get it lined out. There are others too, but Randy Lee is a maestro on S&W round guns.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 10-07-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Wow, I leave this thread alone for one day and all hell breaks loose. Oh Pistol-Forum, how I love you.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sounds like there’s not a ton else that can be done to this gun other than making sure it can reliably ignite primers. If it can’t, it’s probably back to stock springs or send it off to Randy to see what can be done.

I should be able to hit the range soon to function check. Hopefully all is well. But yeah, Federal is all that has seen the inside of that cylinder and honestly, with the bullet weight that is required to shoot to the abysmal sights on this thing, that’s probably all I’ll ever run through it. Apart from maybe some wadcutter loads I start doing by hand. If I do that, I’ll see if CCI primers will work. If not, I can always buy Federal primers.

It is a carry gun that will be taken care of after all. And in all honesty, with the things I’m learning on this thing are of any worth, I’ll probably eventually snag an LCR, throw a fiber front sight on it and some Hogue Bantam grips, and make it the primary to my J’s secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    But yeah, Federal is all that has seen the inside of that cylinder and honestly, with the bullet weight that is required to shoot to the abysmal sights on this thing, that’s probably all I’ll ever run through it.
    Were you lucky enough to get one that shoots POA/POI with 148gr?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    What I did for my J-frame (37-2 with bobbed hammer and hammer-mounted firing pin) is to leave the hammer spring alone, install a slightly lighter trigger spring, and use a bit of light grease on the contact surfaces inside. I detail-strip and clean the 37-2 once a year.

Compared directly with my LCR, the trigger is just as smooth, but a bit heavier. I shoot both equally well with regards to the mechanics. The sights on the LCR make it easier to shoot though. Trigger reset with the lighter spring is still faster than I can run the little gun (go too light and you can outrun your reset). It'll pop any primer.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Were you lucky enough to get one that shoots POA/POI with 148gr?
    I was indeed which is why I’m totally digging running the GMMWCs.

User Tag List