Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I had the exact same experience.
    Too many clicks, not enough bangs.
    Back to stock springs and dry fire.
    Is there not a happy medium?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    lol no. Since your revolver knowledge wouldn't fill up a thimble halfway, I regret to inform you that it's quite common to tune competition revolvers so that they'll only crack Federal primers, which are renowed for being the softest in the game.

Also, SAAMI specifications don't have anything to do with primer depth or hardness, which if you knew anything about revolvers (lollolol) you'd know is a critical aspect of the ignition process. Oh, and S&B isn't SAAMI spec ammo. It's made to the European CIP ( Commission internationale permanente pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives) standard. That's French for "not SAAMI, dumbass."
    Are we having a bad day?

Lots of J frame competition revolvers ehh...

That's missing the point. The point is that it's not uncommon for revolvers to be tuned by their users to fire only a specific brand of ammo or primer.

Hell, I wouldn't know if my guns will crack S&B primers because I've never put S&B in my carry guns. And why would I, when Federal is plentiful and relatively affordable?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Are we having a bad day?
    It was a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    It was a fun read.
    Acerbity is a trademark of my writing.

Acerbity is a trademark of my writing.
    I worry that someone might read your advice and apply it to a carry gun.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That's missing the point. The point is that it's not uncommon for revolvers to be tuned by their users to fire only a specific brand of ammo or primer.

Hell, I wouldn't know if my guns will crack S&B primers because I've never put S&B in my carry guns. And why would I, when Federal is plentiful and relatively affordable?
    Well, I have watched Jerry's video, "Trigger Job." In it, he says that duty guns should be set up to fire any ammunition that can safely be loaded in the chambers, because someone who carries for a paycheck can't necessarily know in advance what ammo will be available when they need some. (But he sets up his competition guns for Federal primers.)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Lots of J frame competition revolvers ehh...

Every J-frame is a competition gun if your only goal is to spank the few people left shooting IDPA revolver class while getting cheered on like Rudy.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I worry that someone might read your advice and apply it to a carry gun.
    Why? A carry gun isn't a duty gun, and you can afford to be selective about ammo. I haven't modified the action on my LCR at all, but I still wouldn't know if it will crack Winchester primers, because a Winchester primer will never see the inside of that gun.

Being smart with purchases helps - I can afford to stockpile whatever ammo I like for my carry gun and not worry about it cracking primers on some random ammo. Plus, .38 and .357 is pretty shortage resistant, so even if I somehow managed to shoot through however many thousand rounds of American Eagle I have, I can get more.

Why? A carry gun isn't a duty gun, and you can afford to be selective about ammo. I haven't modified the action on my LCR at all, but I still wouldn't know if it will crack Winchester primers, because a Winchester primer will never see the inside of that gun.

Being smart with purchases helps - I can afford to stockpile whatever ammo I like for my carry gun and not worry about it cracking primers on some random ammo. Plus, .38 and .357 is pretty shortage resistant, so even if I somehow managed to shoot through however many thousand rounds of American Eagle I have, I can get more.
    You have not a clue about fighting with a revolver. Some of us did this stuff off the range, for keeps. You remind me of a virgin telling a 6th street B-girl about sex.

User Tag List