Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving the J-frame trigger

I require that a defense revolver shoot reloads with CCI primers. That gives me a margin of comfort with factory loads for carry.
    My old M38 has to have stock springs, but has had no action work.
    My M640 .38 Special has had some action work and is reliable with Wolf reduced springs. A very nice J trigger.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    It's all I buy.

AE 130 FMJ for competing with anything that has adjustable sights, AE 158 LRN for shooting IDPA with a snub (also known as giving everyone a break to get food, water, and get a new roll of pasters at the clubhouse), and Federal 158gr SWC for carry.

However, I shoot with a lot of people that, for some reason (i.e. not poor), buy weird crap (PPU/Magtech/Fiocchi) to shoot in their revolvers. So, every once in a while, I end up putting that crap through the 642.

It's hard to snub-flex on the homies when half the rounds don't go bang.
    No no, you just need to modify your flex. "My gun is too nice to work with your poor-person rounds."

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    No no, you just need to modify your flex. "My gun is too nice to work with your poor-person rounds."
    I had a nice J frame flex on the "J Train" in NYC while riding home from work at the federal building one evening. I really didn't want to create a huge scene on the car but I picked up the furtive glances that a goblin was casting at a couple of strap hangers.

I caught his eye and ever so slightly nudged my jacket back far enough for him to spot my model 36. He exited the train at the next stop and I got home in time for beer thirty without any drama.

(I met my future wife on the "J Train" in 1986. So, I guess as NYC transit stories go, those are two of the more positive ones.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Yes, I installed the Apex extended FP that came with the kit, their FP spring, the rebound slide spring, and their hammer spring. Everything was installed correctly (it's hard to screw up that kit).

Still had a lot of clicks that needed to be bangs. Felt real nice on those clicks, though.
    I had the exact same experience.
    Too many clicks, not enough bangs.
    Back to stock springs and dry fire.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I had the exact same experience.
    Too many clicks, not enough bangs.
    Back to stock springs and dry fire.
    So be less poor and don't buy cheap ammo?

So be less poor and don't buy cheap ammo?
    When S&B wadcutters are the only wadcutters that are almost always in stock by the case... I buy S&B wadcutters.

On the subject of having to buy a certain brand or flavor of ammo for reliable function.
    Fuck that.
    If it's SAAMI spec ammo and your gun won't run it, it's because your gun is a piece of shit.
    Stop being cheap and buy better guns.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

I drive a five-year old Hyundai hatch that runs on 87 octane. I am a poor.

I don't turn down free ammo to shame casuals or their fudd dads.

A smooth-triggered J-Frame with decent sights is the ultimate sandbagging hustle-gun on a plate rack.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

When S&B wadcutters are the only wadcutters that are almost always in stock by the case... I buy S&B wadcutters.

On the subject of having to buy a certain brand or flavor of ammo for reliable function.
    Fuck that.
    If it's SAAMI spec ammo and your gun won't run it, it's because your gun is a piece of shit.
    Stop being cheap and buy better guns
    I felt a disturbance in the Force.

It was as if a million voices that built 9mm Major Open guns cried out, and then were silenced.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Fuck that.
    Stop being cheap and buy better guns.
    lol no. Since your revolver knowledge wouldn't fill up a thimble halfway, I regret to inform you that it's quite common to tune competition revolvers so that they'll only crack Federal primers, which are renowed for being the softest in the game.

Also, SAAMI specifications don't have anything to do with primer depth or hardness, which if you knew anything about revolvers (lollolol) you'd know is a critical aspect of the ignition process. Oh, and S&B isn't SAAMI spec ammo. It's made to the European CIP ( Commission internationale permanente pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives) standard. That's French for "not SAAMI, dumbass."
    Last edited by jetfire; 10-07-2019 at 06:23 PM.

I regret to inform you that it's quite common to tune competition revolvers
    Lots of J frame competition revolvers ehh...

User Tag List