Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Improving the J-frame trigger

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Y'all need Jesus.

LCRs look like the southbound end of a northbound bulldog on day three of a weeklong chili cleanse.

Sure, J-frames have heavier triggers as a general rule, and, sure, the best you can do without machining the sights off is paint them. But, they're svelte and they have seemingly-infinite grip options.

Have you seen an LCR? Woof.

Yeah, it has a great trigger, but at what cost? Dignity?
    I never said they were pretty guns, but for CCW, function beats beauty.

I've owned J-frames for over 20 years now and have primarily carried a j-frame since getting my CCW in 2000. For CCW, I'd rather have an LCR. The factory grips suit me better than any non-fullsized grip I've tried on the J-frame (and I've tried a bunch). The sights are better than the traditional j-frame sights (ie the tiny front that is machined as part of the barrel to go with the notch rear). And then there's the trigger. I'm fine with a broken in j-frame trigger, don't need an Apex kit, but the totality of improvements in the LCR beat a well tuned J-frame for me.

My LCR will never be a BBQ gun and is best toted AIWB or in the pocket, hiding its shame from the world...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I never said they were pretty guns, but for CCW, function beats beauty.
    But how will I LARP as a film-noir private eye?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    But how will I LARP as a film-noir private eye?
    Maybe as a bizarro world version?

Chris

Y'all need Jesus.

LCRs look like the southbound end of a northbound bulldog on day three of a weeklong chili cleanse.

Sure, J-frames have heavier triggers as a general rule, and, sure, the best you can do without machining the sights off is paint them. But, they're svelte and they have seemingly-infinite grip options.

Have you seen an LCR? Woof.

Yeah, it has a great trigger, but at what cost? Dignity?
    The 3 inch LCR is perhaps one of the ugliest guns I own, this is a true statement. But goddammit if it isn't the most shootable little gun ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I do think this is an interesting side note, because after shooting and carrying both pretty extensively, I think the best way to fix the trigger on a j-frame is sell it to someone else and buy an LCR.
    Given S&W’s propensity to not give two shits about QC at the factory kind of cements why I have a REALLY hard time even considering buying a new one. The only reason why I got this J-frame was because it is as svelte as it is and had the right grip options. Given that I can probably make the Hogue Bantam grips work, swap the front sight for that cool green fiber option, and I don’t have to monkey with the trigger out of the box really makes me want to get one after I get the other gun I want next.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Given S&W’s propensity to not give two shits about QC at the factory kind of cements why I have a REALLY hard time even considering buying a new one. The only reason why I got this J-frame was because it is as svelte as it is and had the right grip options. Given that I can probably make the Hogue Bantam grips work, swap the front sight for that cool green fiber option, and I don’t have to monkey with the trigger out of the box really makes me want to get one after I get the other gun I want next.
    The only j-frame I have right now is a 351PD, and then because it specifically wanted the lightest j-frame on the planet for running with the dog in Miami. It is really cool, and it's perfect for that niche.

The only j-frame I have right now is a 351PD, and then because it specifically wanted the lightest j-frame on the planet for running with the dog in Miami. It is really cool, and it's perfect for that niche.
    And that totally makes sense for that VERY specific niche that you’re doing for maybe an hour a day. It could probably even be replaced by something else in a slightly different carry method fairly easily. But it’s not exactly cost effective, remotely easy to shoot, nor easy to have a backup of.

The LCR solves most of those problems while giving you an option for different front sights.

I know you know that. I’m just stating it for the sake of this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    And that totally makes sense for that VERY specific niche that you’re doing for maybe an hour a day. It could probably even be replaced by something else in a slightly different carry method fairly easily. But it’s not exactly cost effective, remotely easy to shoot, nor easy to have a backup of.

The LCR solves most of those problems while giving you an option for different front sights.

I know you know that. I’m just stating it for the sake of this discussion.
    Oh definitely, and when people ask me about it I'm very clear that it's a super duper niche gun that I use for a really specific purpose. I wouldn't not recommend it as a primary for like 99% of people.

Oh definitely . . . I wouldn't not recommend [a 9.5 ounce titanium .22 magnum with a 14-pound trigger that also costs a buttload of money] as a primary for like 99% of people.
    Unintentional double negative, or mad genius?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Unintentional double negative, or mad genius?
    Yes?

User Tag List