Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That feeling when

Great work with your daughter. She is on the right path.

As someone who has worked a coal forge, I strongly suggest a gas one unless you like black mucus. Sourcing coal (and storing it) can also be difficult sometimes depending on your location. If I ever get enough time to get back into blacksmithing I will be using a gas forge, even though the smell of the coal forge is very nostalgic for me.

On karambits and all the injuries that result, the folding ones must be carried differently than a pocket knife. A pocket knife is typically kept blade rear, preferably tip-down to prevent accidental opening, at the back of the pocket. A Karambit is best kept at the front of the pocket since it must be kept tip up. Because of the chance of it moving, that pocket needs to be treated as if it were carrying a pistol with nothing else in it.

In the end, while interesting, karambits proved less useful than a knife for 99% of what you would do with either. We used them fairly heavily in the Filipino martial arts, and after using them in full contact sparring sessions concluded that for defensive use, the karambit was no better than, and in many ways worse, than a normal knife. I haven’t touched mine in years.

Sourcing a leather apron for her blacksmithing Halloween costume
    #RESIST

That feeling when

Son & I are FIF fans.

We built a soup-can forge in about 2 hours . Instructions are everywhere.

Now that I have some rural property we’ll probably build a coal forge once I get a barn up.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 10-13-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Your daughter whom is addicted to watching Forged In Fire talks you into a karambit because her favorite judge on the show uses karambits and you cut yourself unsheathing the damn thing.

Ow. I think this one I ordered is too big. Oh well, gotta raise strong girls, right? She’s dead set on becoming a bladesmith now
    To borrow a line from Doug Marcaida, “It will cut”.

Site Supporter
    I suggest buying a pottery wheel and kiln. She can express her creativity safely until she reaches proper age. Developing dexterity and spatial relationship type insight will occur as she turns mud into objects shaped by her hands. Then converting a lump of steel into a beautiful blade will be easily mastered.

That feeling when

Girls + edged weapons: [emoji106]. Good job dude!

My younger girl carries an Emerson mini Roadhouse. The older one likes Spyderco and once got busted at the PDX airport checkpoint with not just one or two, but three edged weapons.

This damn karambit makes me not want to touch it until I get trained. Totally different knife for me.
    I’m not a karambit fan. Too restrictive In how you have to use it.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-14-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

That's awesome.

I know a few bladesmiths. I talked to this guy a few years ago. Not a real polished character but you don't need that in Chama NM. He has lots of business. Sort of your backwoods bladesmith building everything from scrap metal like combine spindles, mower blades and leaf springs. He's more or less a local celebrity.

https://youtu.be/qbRYA_8c_A8

You're daughter may not get rich as a bladesmith but it could be a very satisfying vocation.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-14-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I've got a Joe Watson titanium karambit in my Eagle firearms fanny pack. I'll have to take some pics.

Joe didn't make many of them. It will cut.

LL - I have a couple of spare Tarani karambits if you are interested.

Not a practical knife for me. Stand by for a giveaway.

Your daughter whom is addicted to watching Forged In Fire talks you into a karambit because her favorite judge on the show uses karambits and you cut yourself unsheathing the damn thing.

Ow. I think this one I ordered is too big. Oh well, gotta raise strong girls, right? She’s dead set on becoming a bladesmith now
    #RESIST

User Tag List